Classic Icons Must-See Film List- Add Yours!

Being a HUGE Audrey Fan
I suggest:
Sabrina
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Funny Face
Roman Holiday
Love In The Afternoon
Rosemary's Baby

but also love
Some Like it Hot
Umbrella's of Chebourg
Sunset Boulevard (A must)
Singing in the Rain
Double Indemnity
Casablanca
Bonnie and Clyde
Rebel Without a Cause
so many more!

Avatar really isn't a classic film... unless its a remake? Sorry, I don't watch too many current films these days.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but "Two For the Road" has moved up on my list of favorite Audrey Hepburn movies. The story, the fashions, the cinematography... it's all lovely!

Bullets over Broadway
Swing Time (Astaire and Rogers at the top of their game)
The Third Man
Strangers on a Train
Faust (the silent film Murnau version)
Hamlet (the silent film German version starring Asta Nielsen)
Morocco (starring Dietrich)
The Women

Fritz Lang's M
Streetcar Named Desire
Wizard of Oz
Psycho
Godfather
Taxi Driver
Rebel Without a Cause

M is on youtube if anyone wants to watch it.

M.jpeg

Rear Window
To Catch A Thief
Dial M For Murder
Psycho
Rebecca
Strangers On A Train
Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
A Streetcar Named Desire
On The Waterfront
An Affair To Remember
The Innocents
The End of The Affair
From Here To Eternity
The Black Narcissus
The Wizard of Oz
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
Bringing Up Baby
Gone With The Wind
Mr Smith Goes To Washington
Gilda
Mildred Pierce (the brilliant original with Joan Crawford)
Rebel Without A Cause
East Of Eden
Some Like It Hot
Singin´In The Rain
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Casablanca

and tons more

Ghost and Mrs. Muir-Gene Tierney

Whatever happend to Baby Jane?- Bette Davis

I was totally coming here to post Un Homme Et une Femme but I see someone already did. :lol:

Trying not to repeat any films, so I'll just throw out a few that I don't think were mentioned:

Blow-Up, L'eclisse, The Cry
I Married a Witch (not the best film, but I just love VL in it sooo much. It's adorable. ^_^)
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Duck Soup, A Day at the Races, anything Marx Bros., really...
City Lights, or Gold Rush anything Chaplin, really...

Some people say that The General is boring and overrated, but I think it's absolutely amazing. I didn't even have the intention of watching it when it came on TV, but I just didn't want to turn it off. It's magical.

Fellini has been mentioned, but Amarcord? Satyricon? I also adore Il Bidone ("The Swindle) so freakin' much...

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, because Russ Meyer is awesome.

And of course I'm always a fan of anything with Marilyn in it.

Quo Vadis
Waterloo Bridge,with Robert Taylor and Vivien Leigh
My fair Lady
Hello Dolly
The gay divorce,with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
High Society,with Grace kelly
The Swan ,with Grace kelly

Last edited by a moderator:
Some classics that are featured in my film class that I thought were worth mentioning...
Sunset Blvd.
Touch of Evil
Night of the Hunter
Rear Window

And I'm totally checking out "M"; there's been talk about it in class, thanks for the link Over The Sea

^oh absolutely!

another of my favorites of Julie Andrews is Darling Lily. it's not as well known as some of her other films, but she is such a treat in it. (and yes, she sings in it as well!)

Antonioni's L'Avventura : IMO one of the top 5 films ever made, Antonioni treats w/ one of the biggest problems of humanity: the lack of communication. The photography is impecable and Monica Vitti looks more beautiful than ever.
L%27Avventura12.jpg

filmsufi

Almodovar's Volver : One of the best spanish movies ever made, it's thrilling, it's funny, it's sad, it's surprising, it's amazing. Penelope Cruz best actuation ever (she was even nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards) and one of Almodovar's best movies.
foto15med.jpg

clubcultura

Bergman's Fanny & Alexander : Bergman's best film ever unites all of the director characteristics: the gorgeous art direction and photography (I'm wish I knew sweedish because I'm ashamed to polute the beautiful images with subtitles), the usual existentialist plot, Bergman's favorite actors... all come together in a play of life that inspires every viewer to look inside his own soul and try to find that magic sensation that we had when we were children.
image.asp

ingmarbergman

Fellini's Satyricon : This might be a very difficult film for those who doesn't have the habbit to see cult movies, the plot is incontinuos and most of the scenes doesn't have connection, but despite all that Satyricon brings one of the greatest audiovisual experiences ever. Everyone that appreciates art will love its art direction and the ones that appreciate fashion will love the impecable costumes. Oh, and it's important to mention that Satyricon was one of the first movie to deal with homossexuality without any kind of prejudice.
s12ps9.jpg

worldscinema

Buñuel's Belle De Jour: Oh, Catherine DeNeuve! I mean, surrealism could never be more beautiful! Sex, love, mistery, drama, happiness, everything mixed up to create Buñuel most accessible movie. The sensations that you feel when you're watching these are so... unexpected, you don't know with you're feeling guilt or pleasure, you get confused trying to guess if it's love or lust and that's just mechanism for you to get into the main character's confused mind. Incredible!
PDVD_008.jpg

avaxhome

^oh absolutely!

another of my favorites of Julie Andrews is Darling Lily. it's not as well known as some of her other films, but she is such a treat in it. (and yes, she sings in it as well!)

Oh yes. I find this movie absolutely great. Darling Lili is such a terribly underrated movie. I honestly don´t understand why it was rather a flop back then. It´s funny and cute and Julie has some beautiful songs. I absolutely love "Whistling in the Dark". I get never tired of this song. And the shower scene is so brilliant. Lol.

Julie Andrews - Whistling in the dark (1970) :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->