Controversial Opinions on Fashion

Who are the other three horsemen?

Alessandro Michele
Virgil Abloh
Kim Jones

(I actually find Alessandro’s branding rather very good. Just that his thriftstore mishmash of ragtags tied together with an overdose of Gucci logo/monogram very obnoxious to the max.And he can’r be forgiven for spawning a whole generation of Edina Monsoon children currently plaguing the industry. I still can’t decide if it’s hilarious or horrifying that the fashion caricatures and parodies I grew up on— like Edina and Bruno, are now the stars of the industry. The current state of fashion is literally Superman’s Bizarro World.)

Alessandro Michele
Virgil Abloh
Kim Jones

(I actually find Alessandro’s branding rather very good. Just that his thriftstore mishmash of ragtags tied together with an overdose of Gucci logo/monogram very obnoxious to the max.And he can’r be forgiven for spawning a whole generation of Edina Monsoon children currently plaguing the industry. I still can’t decide if it’s hilarious or horrifying that the fashion caricatures and parodies I grew up on— like Edina and Bruno, are now the stars of the industry. The current state of fashion is literally Superman’s Bizarro World.)
I unironically liked Edina's outfits. :rofl:

I'm not sure if this is "controversial" or an example of actual poor taste I might hold. Honestly, I really like Marc Bohan's stuff for Dior during the 1960s and 1970s (no comment on the 1980s... mess).

I'm not saying heritage ( or "custom", "classroom", "teachers", etc) is unnecessary.
like one must have tradition in yourself, to hate it properly.
(a certain kind of) freedom is accessible only through negation.
unfreedom is a condition of freedom. freedom's depth.

"hold on tightly, let go lightly."
from the shifting point - peter brook (rip)

I'm not saying heritage ( or "custom", "classroom", "teachers", etc) is unnecessary.
like one must have tradition in yourself, to hate it properly.
(a certain kind of) freedom is accessible only through negation.
unfreedom is a condition of freedom. freedom's depth.

"hold on tightly, let go lightly."
from the shifting point - peter brook (rip)

Your answer reminded me of a line from Madonna "The power of goodbye" song:

"Creation comes when the learner say no..."

This isn't controversial. It's just incredibly pea-brained.

Exactly. And when the standard for what counts as 'thin' is so extreme and unrealistic that even the already-slender models can't do it without risking their health (as it was in the 00s), well, it needs to go. Yes it's a looks-based profession but these are still human beings, and I don't want to go back to a time when Lara Stone, who had a 35 inch hip circumference on a bloated day, was considered the "fat" model.

What I have no patience with though, is the complaints that models are attractive people only. It's literally there in the word "model", they need to be at least interesting to look at in some way or good at showing the clothes. Fashion is not some "diversity and representation" social service exercise, all the "I feel seen" jargon has me rolling my eyes despite being part of a race you hardly saw on 00s runways.

Exactly. And when the standard for what counts as 'thin' is so extreme and unrealistic that even the already-slender models can't do it without risking their health (as it was in the 00s), well, it needs to go. Yes it's a looks-based profession but these are still human beings, and I don't want to go back to a time when Lara Stone, who had a 35 inch hip circumference on a bloated day, was considered the "fat" model.

What I have no patience with though, is the complaints that models are attractive people only. It's literally there in the word "model", they need to be at least interesting to look at in some way or good at showing the clothes. Fashion is not some "diversity and representation" social service exercise, all the "I feel seen" jargon has me rolling my eyes despite being part of a race you hardly saw on 00s runways.

I do agree with most things you wrote. I'm glad the "superskinny" days are gone, and your comment on Lara is spot on. Then yes, the "I feel seen" thing is pretty annoying. They don't hire plus-size models or models of color(s) or transgender models to make things evolve the right way, they just understood POC, plus-size and transgender people have money to spend too and could boycott them if they don't feel seen on a catwalk or in mags.

All the try-so-hard magazines (or others) annoy me and feel fake to me. I'm all for having more diversity in mags and on runways but it should be done beautifully and with enough subtlety to keep us on dreaming about the fashion world and its imagery. For example I've seen awful photographs of Paloma Elsesser while I find her insanely beautiful. Not all models are chameleons who can embody everything you ask them to, some just excel in their very own field and a good photographer-editor-stylist-CD should understand that. It's just as lame as when they used to hire teenage models to embody a fully-grown woman in editorials.

^ oh absolutely, I'm well aware that the changes in "representation" are driven by money - that's not a bad thing, and is far better footing for the models themselves than just being chosen because their ethnicities are the trendy cause of the moment e.g. the rise of East Asian models in the mid-late 00s. Otherwise, what happens when an editor or brand decides your "identity" is no longer "current" and want to move on to something else?

All the try-so-hard magazines (or others) annoy me and feel fake to me. I'm all for having more diversity in mags and on runways but it should be done beautifully and with enough subtlety to keep us on dreaming about the fashion world and its imagery. For example I've seen awful photographs of Paloma Elsesser while I find her insanely beautiful. Not all models are chameleons who can embody everything you ask them to, some just excel in their very own field and a good photographer-editor-stylist-CD should understand that. It's just as lame as when they used to hire teenage models to embody a fully-grown woman in editorials.

I do agree that it needs to be done in a way that's still beautiful and feels like it's actually good fashion imagery, though (and yeah, sometimes attractive people don't make good models, we had a whole wave of 'unconventional' models in the late 90s who were great.... but they still have to have some quality that makes them interesting in photographs/on a runway though) . Unfortunately, there's a lot of "everything about the previous way of doing fashion was bad, old photographers are bad, so beautiful fashion imagery is "out" and here's a load of mediocre photographs taken by people with the 'right identity and you will fawn over them otherwise you're guilty of [insert offence here]" type thinking in some major magazine offices.

Some of my favourite fashion shoots I've seen over the last year have come from the WSJ and Financial Times, which is not a sentence I'd ever thought I'd type.

Meanwhile, here's i-D, one of my favourite magazines of the 00s, continually abasing itself to prove it's woker than everyone while thinking all its current readers are too young or amnesiac to know i-D was a major champion of known sexual predator Terry Richardson into the 2010s and even hosted a whole section for his photography on their website. The hypocrisy is strong there.

(yes, I bought i-D back then but even then, I wouldn't buy issues he'd done cover or editorial photography for...which was quite a few...I'm not under the belief this is activism btw, just a personal line in the sand - I believe everyone gets to set their own).

Mario Testino should return to fashion photography despite the allegations, his work with Tom & Carine was just chef kiss and his portfolio is definitely top 5 all time

Alexander Wang's tenure at Balenciaga was amazing and Demna could never be fab like he was!

and Galliano deserves his namesake label back.

Also the current EIC at i-D Magazine (Alastair McKimm) killed the magazine. If he's not using a celeb for the cover its the same 5 models every time (Bella, Anok, Mica, Rianne and that buzz cut chick), which im so bored and uninspired by like how did i-D go from being one of the best magazines out there to this current state of lackluster, unimaginative, dull *** covers?? I also have a bone to pick with their "activists" they hired as interns the whole magazine needs a clean up take everyone OUT.

^agreed that Galliano deserves his namesake label back, also I'm done with people slating him for the anti-Semitic rant from 2011 when he's the only fashion person to have shown actual remorse over his behaviour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->