Couture Sales Ride High

I really envy that woman who buys 25 to 30 dresses.

I get upset when I see couture 'ruined'.

I don't see the point in all this complaining about buying more than one couture dress from one designer in one season ?????? How can it be ruined? If you want it, why not
Couture is about handcraft and 'customized' details according to the customer
It doesn't mean more people will have the same dress-- it's part of couture that you can decide what to change and say how you want it to look exactly

It doesn't 'ruin' the 'art' of it at all
If anything, it helps and keeps it going... lots of business, lots of money, more work and couture can LIVE

it's about comsumption.

sorry you guys don't follow.

I don't know how I feel about it. I love looking at couture which is pretty evident by my posting here, but at the same time, I think its disgusting to spend so much money on an item of clothing. I want couture to stay around and they need customers to keep their businesses alive, but at the same time I don't understand how someone could just spend that much money on clothes and not think twice. And the fact that there are more and more women doing it.

It's like the late 80's/early mid 90's all over again! And it's nearly always those obscenely rich middle Easterns.... or those pervertedly rich Chinese women, lol. Good Lord, all those overtacked chinese women covered in custom Cartier I've seen..... :rolleyes:

I understand why people are against over consumption and obscene wealth. I don't think I would ever want to buy couture dresses even if I had the money. My money could go to something better.

However, I think it's a bit selfish to say that people should not buy multiple couture pieces, but in the same breath state how much you love to look at the clothes. Without those customers, you would have nothing to look at. Without them, the craft of couture may be lost. Designers certainly do not have the funds to create couture only for people to look at.

But there is a side effect: this boost is moved by a new concentration of wealth -- and with today most urban humanity, this means higher social disparities and, then, more violence and social distress. Not everything in this news means blue skies ahead!

Sergio Lessa

I agree. I'm not going to pretend I'm not jealous of people who buy 25-30 pieces a year from a single house but it is breeding a completely new kind of client. Many rich Middle Eastern families made their money from poor North African immigrants. It does NOT help the overall economy or well being of the Middle East at all.

From a strictly fashion point of view, I'm a little weary of anybody who waste their money on Valentino pieces. Unfortunately most of the designer consumption in the Middle East is just tacky and shallow, from everything I've seen/read. I hope big name designers don't simply try to design for the Middle East market. Hopefully, the Middle East will get over it's "nouveau-rich-ness" and begin to finance less established designers, and have a positive creative influence not just a financial influence.

Couture is a business, just like anything else in this world. Designers are not in it for the "art." How absurd.

If the expense of couture was attributed more toward the performing arts like theatre, film, opera (oh la la), and dance instead of all this incredible personal ownership, it still wouldn't work because people would need something to wear. :lol: And some people really take opening night quite seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonic boom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->