Cows Milk vs. Soy Milk?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between soy and cows milk, in terms of nutritional content. which has more calcium, less fat, and which one is overall better for you. There are people who are vegetarian/vegan who choose the soy, and I was just wondering if it actually healthier than regular milk. I dont want to sacrifice the calcium though.

Any thoughts?

I got this from www.snyderhealth.com I barely drink milk, but when I do it's soy. Hope this info helps.
Soy Milk vs. Cow's Milk
pixel_trans.gif

Let’s compare 100-gram portions (3.5 ounces) of soymilk vs. cow’s milk:

Cow’s milk has 61 calories. Soymilk has 33 calories.

Cow’s milk contains 3.34 grams of fat. Soymilk contains 1.91 grams of fat.

Cow’s milk has 14 milligrams of cholesterol and no dietary fiber. Soymilk contains 1.3 grams of fiber and has zero cholesterol.

Cow’s milk contains a full range of amino acids. Soymilk also contains a full range of amino acids.

Both contain plenty of protein. Cow’s milk actually has one- half gram more protein than the 100-gram portion of soymilk.

Soymilk contains greater amounts of certain amino acids including arginine, alanine, aspartic acid, and glycine.

Arginine slows the growth of cancers by strengthening the immune system. Alanine aids in the metabolism of sugars. Aspartic acid increases stamina and plays a vital role in metabolism, acting as an anti-oxidant. Glycine is necessary for brain and nervous system functioning and muscle/energy metabolism.

When milk is pasteurized, Vitamins A, C, and D are destroyed. The same can be said for those vitamins when soymilk is manufactured. Soymilk does contain more than four times the amount of thiamin (Vitamin B-1) and nearly twice the amount of niacin (Vitamin B-3) as does cow's milk.

Soymilk also contains more magnesium, copper, and manganese than does cow’s milk. In order to absorb calcium, one needs magnesium. Copper also aids in bone formation. One early sign of osteoporosis is a deficiency in copper. Soymilk contains twelve times the amount of copper as does cow’s milk. Soymilk also contains 42 times the amount of manganese as does cow’s milk. Manganese is also needed for bone formation. People with anemia rely upon manganese for iron storage. Trace amounts of manganese are essential for neural transmissions, protein metabolism, and many other body functions.

Im thinking of switching to soy milk, because dairy products dont' sit well in my tummy.

Does it taste crazy different? i dont drink milk, but I eat cereal. :lol:

I am not a fan of milk, not even chocolate milk. Soy milk is easier for me to swallow.

Thank you for all the information on soy milk, tigerlilly. I really appreciate it. :smile: :smile: :smile:

You're welcome AlmostFamous. Soy milk takes a while to get used to, but I don't think there is an extreme difference in taste.

I simply don't like milk. I never drink it. It makes me gag. But I love it in cereal...and I need it to make pudding. :P

I love cow milk. I tried goat milk once, it tasted fatty:yuk:. But soy milk...I'm interested!I'll try it tomorrow and post my opinion about it:smile:

I drink skim milk when I DO drink milk (just with cereal). I drink soy when it's on sale, but definitely look at the label before buying - sometimes soy milk runs high on the calories side. When comparing the low-sugar soy milks to skim, they're usually around the same calorie-wise. As for nutrients, soy milk usually always wins.

Soy Milk is sweet, cow's milk isn't. I have tried Soy milk but I just couldn't handle the taste so I take skim milk.

AlmostFamous said:
I simply don't like milk. I never drink it. It makes me gag. But I love it in cereal...and I need it to make pudding. :P

same here, i never understood how people could drink a glass of milk with their meals... its icky to me... try chocolate soy milk with grape nuts:woot:. I also think that vanilla or original soy milk tastes just fine with cereal, its perfect for baking as well, it ads no extra taste. I typically drink 8th continent light, which i liked just fine but mom just bought the "regular" chocolate version, and its heaven:heart: (although it ads 50 more calories... i think i can make room..)

I love cow!
and Milk of course! :P me likes both...foooood!!!:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get your calcium a number of ways... the idea that calcium is most abundant in cows milk is propaganda... According to the whole cows milk label in my fridge one serving has 30% of your needed calcium, soymilk has 30% as well.

I used to drink raw cows' milk (unpasteurized), and I prefer that to the pasteurized kind by a mile. But like many posters I don't handle milk that well anyway, and I am a vegan, so I stick with soy milk. I didn't like soy milk at first because it tastes a little thin and nutty, but it grows on you. :wink: and it's much healthier anyway!

I can drink soy milk or cows milk, the taste of soy doesnt really bother me, you can get sweetened or unsweetened as far as I know...I also sometimes have rice milk, which is quite watery and sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucilam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->