Critics crucify "Da Vinci Code" in Cannes

Even if the reviews are terrible, people will still watch it. I think the book sold 40 million copies, and this movie has been talked about since before casting even began. Any publicity is good publicity, and good God, in the last few days, we only have been hearing about this movie...

Tom Hanks is probably the best actor to have ever walked the earth-I don't care what critics say, I'm watching it.

Posted it in other thread.

A friend of mine went to see that movie and said it is really bad, comparing with the novel. She mentioned that Tom Hanks becomes a typcial American hero and Audrey Tautou is like his follower kind of idiot, not as smart as Sophie. :cry:

impossibleprincess said:
Tom Hanks is probably the best actor to have ever walked the earth-I don't care what critics say, I'm watching it.

he's not my taste but people sure do love him. i'm curious to see how it will translate on the big screen... also, i love paul bettany and ian maccellen. for the most part i don't expect for nothing more than entertainment.:rolleyes:

...the 2,000-strong audience even burst out laughing at the movie's key moment.
...find themselves ensnared in a mystifying hunt to track down the murderer and solve a 2,000-year-old riddle.

Coincidence...? :huh: Behold the Code!

aya_k said:
he's not my taste but people sure do love him. i'm curious to see how it will translate on the big screen... also, i love paul bettany and ian maccellen. for the most part i don't expect for nothing more than entertainment.:rolleyes:

I heard paul bettany and ian maccellen shine in the movie. :heart:

I was so disapoointed when I heard about this this morning, because I really was looking forward to seeing it.

i got my tickets for tomorrow night already. :lol: :ninja:

anyway, it was to be expected...something french-related, mady by americans..in France. i cant wait to hear what they have to say for Marie Antoinette. :D

OMG,I love that quote from Ian McKellan!

Thanks Retro for posting that.

Spike413 said:
I was so disapoointed when I heard about this this morning, because I really was looking forward to seeing it.

Yeah me too :cry: but perhaps now because it's been criticised so much, my expectations will be a lot lower and I won't be as disappointed. I'll definitely be watching it.

I actually enjoyed reading the book. Perhaps because I read it as as pure fiction and nothing more. I didn't try to dissect each theory in it.

First of all
The cast: Tom Hanks (I actually hate him), I never liked any of his movies, he is kind of an american hero (as someone said), and that's what bother me, he is really cheesy kind of an actor.
Audrey I Love, but of course, what do you expect for a french girl in an american film!? french films are so much better than a lot of this productions from america, Audrey should stay in her country. Same happens with spanish films, penelope and antonio banderas did better movies when they where with spanish directors!
Ian Mc kellen and paul bettanny i love them, so that's what's worth to see.

I never saw I film that did anything much for the book...books are so much better than the film version, always!!!
I never read this da vinci code, because it is a best seller, so I know I'm not gonna like it...if a lot of people like it, then something must be wrong about it...
And I never did care about religious controversy...I'm an atheist so I never cared of that...

I'm not gonna see it...:innocent:

SiennaInLondon said:
Yeah big shock. A critically mawled pop-lit book gets turned into a critically mawled pop-fic film
I completely agree!! What on earth did the critics expect :shock: The film isn't based on some astounding work of literary genius, it's just a fun page-turner that touches on some interesting issues (even if it is written in a fairly terrible manner)

I'd imagine that the film would follow suit: it'll be entertaining, occassionally "cheesy" and possibly prompt some reflection on the subject matter it touches on afterwards :flower:

Anastasia said:
McKellen's interviews crack me up. I love the guy
I completely agree :lol: :heart: He's actually the reason I want to see the film :blush:

I like the book, but i'm afraid the movie can't give back the same feeling the book did..
Anyway I don't see the reason why people say bad about the book or the movie without reading or watching it. It's not an intelligent behaviour i think.. :rolleyes:

I love Tom Hanks and Ron Howard but I think the book/movie is overrated....on the plus side, I think the idea behind the book/movie to bring about new views of religion is pretty cool.

french films are so much better than a lot of this productions from america,

Nah, I've seen some pretty awesome American films:heart:

tiffany said:
I completely agree!! What on earth did the critics expect :shock: The film isn't based on some astounding work of literary genius, it's just a fun page-turner that touches on some interesting issues (even if it is written in a fairly terrible manner)

I'd imagine that the film would follow suit: it'll be entertaining, occassionally "cheesy" and possibly prompt some reflection on the subject matter it touches on afterwards :flower:

I completely agree :lol: :heart: He's actually the reason I want to see the film :blush:
ditto this sentiment for me.
I went to the Hollywood first screening yesterday- was sold-out and I expected it to be a big popcorn thriller which it was- with good acting, shot/filmed nicely and nice dialogue by Oscar winner Akiva Goldsmith (A Beautiful Mind) and it was all these things.
My favorite characters onscreen were played by Paul Bettany and Ian McKellan. Audrey and Tom do nice work as well. I thought he would be awful for this part but he worked fine.
I think they cut alot out to make it move and keep it from being murky and a bit less polorized and they made Tom's character more of a skeptic and Audrey's character more unsure...but overall, I and the rest of the couple thousand in the audience seem to enjoy it. Applause at the end...laughs in the right places...and I did tear up once:blush: and jump into my friend's lap nearly once or twice:lol:

I went to see it last night and I liked it, I think that it doesn't have every detail of course but the important ones are there, the acting I think it was as good as it can be, loved Audrey and also loved how they showed all this places that were only in my imagination. :P

Two of my friends went to see it last night, they had both read the book...and they still really enjoyed the film. I think it really needs to be focused on as a kind of thriller as opposed to being 'controversial'...I hope to go and see it next week...I'll report back :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieS
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->