Daniel Brühl

His clip:

His interview with the WWF:

In the interview Daniel Brühl explains the social and political significance of the issue of climate change in his view, in what manner he himself has privately been devoted to the topic and why he believes that each individual has something to protect contribute to the climate system.
wwf.de
flickr.com/photos/wwf_deutschland
community.livejournal.com/bruhldaily

Last edited by a moderator:
Premiere of 'Lila Lila' in Berlin. 15 Dec 2009.

gettyimages.com
zimbio.com

"Dinosaurier" premiere - December 16th - Berlin

He's not the type of guy i usually find hot but i think he is very good looking :wub: and he was great in Inglourious Basterds.

Daniel in Mobil magazine, and an English translation of the interview:

You often say that you look a bit boyish. But the earnestness that often shows in your roles, makes you seem even older than 31.

Oh, I'll take that as a compliment!

Even though the Coke Light you're drinking at the moment isn't a typical drink for a guy...

(laughs) I Like the taste of artificial sweetener so much. Being Spanish, I also love Cacaolat which is incredibly sweet and the best cocoa existing. When I'm as tired as today, I could die for it.

Is there anything else where your spanish roots show? Being the son of a spanish teacher and a german director, you combine both nationalities.

When I talk to my mom on the phone in spain, my friends always laugh because I start to speak with my hands a lot, talk a lot faster than usual and my voice is much lower and a lot more manly according to them. (laughs). I also love tapas and the FC Barcelona.

And how do those spanish roots show in your character?

I'm catalane, they are supposed to be the most German among the spanish people. They are really exact, on time and aware of their duties. Other than the Germans, they do have a more relaxed attitude to things, that could make you go crazy. I think I'm a mix of both.

Why did you start being an actor?

It all started because of the girls. To find my place at school, as a boy, I soon realized that I wasn't the strong Ken-type who plays on the soccer team. And I realized that humour really serves me well. When I tell stories or make up stories, the people are always drawn to me and I can rely on a certain presence. But I was also really close to the job due to my father. And an uncle, who worked for the radio, I soon got into doing radio dramas when I was eight. And when I was 15, I did my first movie together with Katharina Schüttler - "Sven's Secret" by Roland Suso Richter.

Can you describe the kind of presence you have?

As with all other actors, I soon realized that there was a certain focus. That's influenced by what you look like, what you are like and what you like. With me it was clear rather soon that I was always the one the audience liked and that I was seen as a main character rather than a supporting actor. That's got nothing to do with talent.

If not talent, what is the reason?

I was told that I was a good person for the audience to identify with. It's important to look good but not too good. Be tall but not too tall and so on. I know I'm probably making myself look bad now but that's what I feel with the audience: Very often, when I'm out on my own in private, strange guys come up and tell me their whole life because they think I'm their buddy, the nice Dani from the screen.

How do you react tot hat? You don't seem to be the aggressive type...

Well, I can't make everyone happy anymore. When I was younger I was really polite and talked to people forever. Even my friends started to ask me why I was doing that. Today, I'm still polite but I also tell my opinion. Still, I think it's quite impressive that there are other actors, like August Diehl, of whom the people are even a bit scared.

How would you describe David Kern, the role you play in "Lila, Lila"?

He is a charming con-man who, because he is in love with a girl, pretends to have written a novel without having a clue about literature. And because I know that feeling very well (laughs), I really liked that guy and all his insecurities right from the start. I like these characters and I like seeing them on the screen. I also felt that way with "Goodbye Lenin!". It's a lot of fun to play these characters.

Because they are in a situation where all they can do is react to the given circumstances?

Exactly. Wolfang Becker, the director of "Goodbye Lenin!", had a nice picture to explain that: The situation is just as on a sinking ship. As the captain, you keep trying to stuff the holes and keep it going. And while you're busy with one hole, another one opens up.

Just as in a classical slapstick where the hero runs from one bad situation into the next one...

Yes. And when it all happens out of reasons you can understand, mostly out of love, you forgive all these things. All the lies and all the mistakes.

And the audience identifies with this anti-hero because they can relate to this kind of failure. People would like to be strong, beautiful and intelligent from morning to night.

But they aren't! I want to go into this comedic direction more and more because that's most fun for me. I realize that I am good doing this and it still remains a challenge. Being funny is hard to do. It's the hardest thing to do. Meanwhile I'm a bit bored by my profile as the melancholic, calm guy. It doesn't cover all I am. All the depths, the evilness are hardly ever seen when it comes to me. And I am really surprised about that.

So you're someone completely different in reality?

Well, I do wear a fly as a charm around my neck (he shows us a silver necklace). My mother always called my that because she knows I am very obtrusive, like to bring up old stories and wounds and can get on people's nerves. I know about my evil, scheming way. But hardly anyone sees that within me.

That means Quentin Tarantino did the right thing when he cast you for Inglourious Basterds?

Absolutely! He invited me for dinner before the filming began and told me that I should play this Nazi who seems charming and nice on the first look. But what makes this role really interesting is the turn at the end, when I show a completely different face. I like that about Tarantino movies. The surprising changes of characters. And when we were talking, Tarantino told me what I knew all along: That there's someone else within me.

Are there more projects where you can show this secret side?

In "Dinosaurier", the new movie of Leander Haußmann, I enjoyed playing this super evil guy. The most disgusting and worst looking guy I have ever played. A banker who takes the money away from other people and I got curly hair and highlights, spent a lot of time in the solarium, put on way too white teeth and a terrible suit with slippers. I won't get any letters from fans saying "You're so cute!" after this. We really did a good job on this one. And I will do another movie in 2010, together with Wolfgang Becker, which will be a comedy where I'll play "ne janz fiese Möpp" (cologne dialect and it means "A really evil guy") as the people in Cologne say. That's my favoite combination for the future - evil guy in a funny movie.

You also founded your own production company this spring and work for it as a producer. You also write screenplays.

Even for me, being rather privileged when it comes to the characters I am offered to play, good movies don't show up too often. That's why I want to find good topics. Watching people - one of my favorite past times - always gives me ideas. My last screen play was inspired by a tattooed British couple I saw on holiday. But as much as I would like to direct this kain and abel story: I don't dare to keep the people together that these roles would demand. I wouldnt take myself seriously as the director who says: "Now please."

Goya awards 2010:

He presents an award (at the 6:30 mark)

L'Uomo Vogue March 2010

2mrh16w.jpg

22xmcx.jpg

The Nazi with a tender heart from "Inglourious Basterds" has clear ideas about his future, but in the meantime explores unlikeable roles

Thanks to his portrayal as Frederick Zoller, the sensitive Nazi of Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, Daniel Bruhl's fame has crossed the ocean, making him one of Europe's best known actors in America, and certainly the most famous German translator (though born in Spain) outside of Germany. At 31 years old, things couldn't be more promising for the young Berliner. With five films out in 2009, he's been a protagonist of the last cinematographic season, and with even more projects currently undertaken, 2010 promises to be a hot year for the actor.
vogue.it

He is cute. I saw him in The Countess. Loved that movie.

Photoshoot:

billyundhells.de

something about his face reminds me of a cross between a young terence stamp and young jeremy irons :smile:

Portrait at the Critics' Choice Movie Awards
8ukBKHK.jpg

20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards
cATuNxX.jpg

'Rush' Press Conference in Tokyo
htmvaVQ.jpg

0zwWXDY.jpg

zimbio

He is really amazing as Niki Lauda. He should've been nominated for the Oscar, I think.

I agree ! I can't believe he was robbed by Bradley Cooper. He's such an amazing actor but wayyyyy too underrated.

I am still fuming he wasn't nominated for an Oscar, he was amazing in Rush as Niki Lauda :heart:

The EE British Academy Film Awards
ngTweWQ.jpg

LFW: Burberry Prorsum Show
urDC73r.jpg

zimbio

2014 Laureus World Sports Awards held at the Istana Budaya Theatre on Wednesday (March 26) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
OtZoNRP.jpg

YOISQU7.jpg

just jared

"The Salvation" Premiere at the 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival on May 17, 2014 in Cannes, France.
PUofqrP.jpg

np7DISk.jpg

zimbio

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->