Reaction score
Daphne Guinness

Daphne Guinness
Special Exhibitions Gallery
September 16 through January 7, 2012

daphne_guinness_ensemble.jpg

daphne_guinness_tall-boots.jpg

daphne_guinness_chanel-colar.jpg

Ensemble: Shirt and jacket by Daphne Guinness; pants from London punk shop. Boots by Alexander McQueen. Dress by Chanel. From the collection of Daphne Guinness.
From her signature platinum-and-black striped hair to her notorious eight-inch platform shoes, her to-die-for couture collection and amazing diamond jewelry, Daphne Guinness is the very image of rarified personal style. “Who is this woman, what form of rara avis bedecked in diamonds and plumes?” asked Guy Trebay.

“Daphne is one of – if not the – most stylish women living,” says fashion designer Tom Ford, who asked her to model in his show. The world has many beautiful, fashionable socialites and celebrities, but Daphne is in a class of her own. “Life is a stage for Daphne,” says the couturier Valentino. “Funerals or balls, she always makes a performance.”

Why do an exhibition on Daphne Guinness? Because she is fearless about wearing the most extreme clothes and shoes, but is no mere clothes horse. Because she is a serious collector of couture, who is also a creative force in her own right. Because she is an extraordinary individual whose perspective on fashion is unique and important.

daphne_guinness_chanel-sequins.jpg

daphne_guinness_chanel-jacket.jpg

daphne_guinness_mcqueen-lame.jpg

Jacket by Chanel. Dress by Chanel. Dress by Alexander McQueen.
The Honorable Daphne Suzanne Diana Joan Guinness was born in 1967, the daughter of brewery heir, Jonathan Guinness, Lord Moyne, and French beauty, Suzanne Lisney. Her paternal grandmother was Diana Mitford, one of the legendary Mitford sisters. In 1987, at the age of nineteen, Daphne married Spyros Niarchos. After her divorce in 1999, Daphne resumed her maiden name, and over the past decade has emerged on the world’s stage an extraordinary fashion creature.

We tend to think of fashion as being created by fashion designers. Yet designers do not create in isolation. Amanda Harlech, Karl Lagerfeld’s aide-de-camp and muse, has said that “Karl is continually inspired by [Daphne].” Moreover, although designers propose new looks, in order for something to become fashionable, to move off the runway and into real life, it has to be taken up by various fashion insiders, including editors, photographers, retailers, and fashion trendsetters.

daphne_guinness_black-shoe.jpg

daphne_guinness_red-shoes.jpg

daphne_guinness_boots.jpg

Shoe by Alexander McQueen. Shoes by Nina Ricci. Boots by Alexander McQueen. From the collection of Daphne Guinness.
The fashion or style icon is a special type of fashion insider, someone who is far more than an “early adopter” or celebrity clothes horse. The fashion icon not only inspires fashion designers and validates their clothes, but actually creates a look that affects the way other people dress and/or think about dressing. Michelle Obama, Kate Moss, Sarah Jessica Parker, Lady Gaga, Rachel Zoe, Alexa Chung, Carine Roitfeld, and Daphne Guinness are often described as fashion or style icons. When historical figures are included, Jacqueline Kennedy, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Edie Sedgwick, and Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel are frequently mentioned. Vanity Fair journalist, A.A. Gill, argued that “[Daphne Guinness] has never had a look, never once, never remotely, that was anyone’s but her very own.” This individualism, often described as eccentricity, is at the heart of Daphne’s appeal. Equally important is her respect for the art of fashion. She has famously said, “We need better things, not more. We should not pollute the world with meaningless, unused things when we can make and support things of rare and precious beauty.”
To learn more about the exhibition Daphne Guinness, read the press release here.
Daphne Guinness has been made possible in part through the generosity of LEVIEV Extraordinary Diamonds. Additional support was provided by M·A·C Cosmetics and The Couture Council.

The symposium Fashion Icons and Insiders (Nov 3-4, 2011) was made possible in part through the generosity of Barneys New York. Additional support was provided by the FIT Student-Faculty Corporation.

Last edited by a moderator:
press release

September 16, 2011 - January 07, 2012
Daphne Guinness Exhibition

Cheri Fein, executive director, Public and Media Relations
212.217.4700 or [email protected]
While there have been many exhibitions devoted to great fashion designers, only a few have focused on individual women of style. Yet certain singular women play a crucial role in fashion. Known as fashion or style icons, they are a special type of fashion insider, one who not only inspires designers and brings their clothes to life, but actually creates a look that affects the way other people dress and/or think about dressing.
Daphne Guinness, one of today’s most original fashion icons, is the subject of the upcoming exhibition Daphne Guinness at The Museum at FIT. Opening on September 16, 2011 and on view through January 7, 2012, the exhibition will feature approximately 100 garments and accessories from Guinness’s personal collection, plus films, videos, and images, of and by her.
NEWS_Guinness1.jpg
NEWS_Guinness2.jpg
NEWS_Guinness3.jpg

Ensemble: shirt and jacket by DaphneGuinness; pants from London punk shop
Red suede shoes by Nina Ricci Dress by Alexander McQueen

From her platinum-and-black striped hair to her towering 10-inch heels, from her to-die-for couture collection to her amazing jewelry, Daphne Guinness completely embodies the rarified personal style of a fashion icon. “She is one of the – if not the – most stylish women living,” says designer and film director Tom Ford. Her fans in the blogosphere describe her as “the ultimate fashion fantasy.”
Daphne Guinness will reveal how Guinness, who is not only a serious collector of couture but also a creative force in her own right, uses fashion to transform herself. As her friend, art historian, John Richardson, puts it: “She’s the object of her own creativity. Her persona is her own masterpiece.”
NEWS_Guinness14.jpg
NEWS_Guinness4.jpg
NEWS_Guinness11.jpg

Dress by Christian Lacroix; jacket by Alexander McQueen
Coat by Valentino Dress by Azzedine Alaia

Although Guinness has inspired some of the world’s greatest couturiers – from Karl Lagerfeld to Valentino – she says that she is “not a muse,” but more like “a bee” flitting from one designer to another. This is proven by the array of designers whose work will be on display. A close friend of the late Alexander McQueen, the exhibition will include more than two dozen McQueen garments which have never been displayed. Also featured will be extraordinary haute couture from Chanel, Dior, Givenchy, Lacroix, and Valentino, as well as demi-couture by Azzedine Alaia, Tom Ford, Dolce & Gabbana, and Rick Owens, and futuristic styles by young designers such as Gareth Pugh. Clothes that Guinness has designed herself will show her love of uniforms.
NEWS_Guinness7.jpg

NEWS_Guinness8.jpg

NEWS_Guinness9.jpg

Shoes by Alexander McQueen Jacket by Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel Boots by Alexander McQueen

Another exhibition highlight will be a wide range of extraordinary accessories, many of which were created in collaboration with Guinness. These include Philip Treacy’s hats and Shaun Leane’s “armor” jewelry, not to mention towering platform shoes made especially for her by Christian Louboutin and Noritaka Tatehana.
Several of Guinness’s films will be shown, including The Phenomenology of the Body (which explores the politics of clothing), Mnemosyne (which was inspired by her perfume), and Tribute to Alexander McQueen, as well as numerous images and videos.
NEWS_Guinness15.jpg
NEWS_Guinness12.jpg
NEWS_Guinness13.jpg

Dress by Daphne Guinness Dress by Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Dress and hooded coat by Gareth Pugh

Daphne Guinness will be co-curated by Daphne Guinness and Valerie Steele, director and chief curator. of The Museum at FIT, with the assistance of Fred Dennis, senior curator of Costume. The exhibition’s design, by Ken Nintzel, will be inspired by Guinness’s New York apartment.
The exhibition will be accompanied by a book, also titled Daphne Guinness, written by Valerie Steele and Daphne Guinness, and published by Yale University Press. All royalties from sales of the book will benefit the Fashion Institute of Technology.
The museum’s annual Fashion Symposium will take place on November 3-4, 2011 in conjunction with the exhibition, Daphne Guinness. The topic of the symposium will be “Fashion Icons and Insiders.”
NEWS_guinness_1.jpg

Daphne
©René Habermacher

so...
i guess being a shopaholic pays off for some people...^_^

if you missed the mcqueen exhibit--- i bet there will be a lot of that here...
:P...

*what do you guys make of this woman...???
ever since mcqueen died...she seems to be jumping into the spotlight and doing all kinds of unusual things ...

first she bought all of isabella blows wardrobe at auction...
then she did the odd event of dressing in barney's window...
then some other thing of lying like a corpse to display some jewelry...

and now this...
what's going on?!?!...
:unsure:

so...
i guess being a shopaholic pays off for some people...^_^

if you missed the mcqueen exhibit--- i bet there will be a lot of that here...
:P...

*what do you guys make of this woman...???
ever since mcqueen died...she seems to be jumping into the spotlight and doing all kinds of unusual things ...

first she bought all of isabella blows wardrobe at auction...
then she did the odd event of dressing in barney's window...
then some other thing of lying like a corpse to display some jewelry...

and now this...
what's going on?!?!...
:unsure:

Daphne's been around (and VERY well-dressed) for quite a while. She's been a personal style icon/obsession of mine for a while now, so I'm glad to see her getting more attention as of late.

She bought Isabella Blow's collection because she didn't want to see it broken up and sold to multiple bidders (she was a friend of Isabella's) and I believe Barney's approached her about the window display before the Met gala because she's such a known fan/collector of McQueen's work. As for the jewelry, it was to display a glove she spent five years designing in collaboration with Shaun Leane.

re: McQueen, she's been a huge fan of his from the beginning. She bought that dragon kimono that McQueen did for the house of Givenchy when he was there. I remember she was showing it off in that documentary "Secret world of Haute Couture" - years before McQueen's death. I don't think she's just jumping into the spotlight now after his death, they grew to become close friends over the years & his death affected her.

And because she's so privileged so can afford to buy McQueen items posthumously, such as his student collection that Isabella owned. Those of us who were fans of McQueen mourn his death in much more frugal ways LOL

Daphne's been around (and VERY well-dressed) for quite a while. She's been a personal style icon/obsession of mine for a while now, so I'm glad to see her getting more attention as of late.

She bought Isabella Blow's collection because she didn't want to see it broken up and sold to multiple bidders (she was a friend of Isabella's) and I believe Barney's approached her about the window display before the Met gala because she's such a known fan/collector of McQueen's work. As for the jewelry, it was to display a glove she spent five years designing in collaboration with Shaun Leane.

yes- correct...
i believe i mentioned all of those things in less detail in my post...
thx for filling in the blanks for those who may be less 'in the know'...

the point is that all the things we both mentioned are in the past year or so...
she's doing stuff that's tottering on the edge of art now...
or performance art...or something anyway...
this is new for her...

she talked about it in a video somewhere...
i think it was on nowness.com...
http://www.nowness.com/day/2011/6/6/1489/daphne-guinness-undressed

maybe it's just eerie because so much of what she is getting attention for is related to mcqueen...and relationships she formed with people in his inner circle--???...
ie- isabella blow, shaun leane...

in any case...
she is out in the public eye far more these days...

^ well McQueen did come after her. Isabella had been trying to get Daphne to meet him for quite a while but when he saw her wearing his clothes in Leicester Square he ran after her and introduced himself. Their friendship grew from there.

Daphne has always supported the arts. I've read that she helped finances films and exhibits. What she did for Isabella's family was a lovely gesture. She's been ''in the public eye'' in London for years. And as a couture client a bit in Paris too.

Dresswise she started getting more adventerous in her dressing after she split from her husband. Some might say it's a bit ''attention wh*re-ish'' others really admire it like myself. If I was in New York I would be there in a heartbeat.

''i guess being a shopaholic pays off for some people...''

Would you say the same thing about some New York socialite who's had a exhibit.

''i guess being a shopaholic pays off for some people...''

Would you say the same thing about some New York socialite who's had a exhibit.
:lol:...
of course i would...it's funny....
most of us would love to be able to shop the way she does!...

i don't think anyone could consider her an attention wh*re...
she's so honest and genuine in her eccentricities...
she definitely doesn't seem to be doing it for the attention...
it's just her...
:P

i think you're missing my point though...
did you watch the video?

i haven't watched the video yet but she definitely seems to fancy herself as a bit of a (budding) performance artist... what with dressing in the barneys window and all

there's a spread on her in W's September issue mentioning the exhibit...
she's lying down naked, just wearing a pair of crazy no heel platform shoes...

she's definitely someone of interest who has emerged in the spotlight more prominently over the last couple years
i'm sure part of it is the way the internet culture and accessibility has evolved..

*off to watch the video*

:lol:...
i think you're missing my point though...
did you watch the video?

I`m trying to figure out what your point is :P

If you're not suggesting that she is being opportunistic lately and jumping into the spotlight (iow attention wh*ring) then what are you saying?

I don't see it as any different than L'wren Scott being a judge on Project Runway.

I see it as being in a time where news travels faster than before, she is exploring her art since she couldn't do so when married, and being a part of the "trend" (over the top eccentrics like lady gaga, katy perry, post-isabella) lends to her constant media exposure.

She use to dress much simpler and much more classy. She's become a caricature of herself, though I don't think how she dresses now is exactly who she is.

I was embarrassed for her when she came out on a charity runway event wearing a beaded gold catsuit/unitard and a veil.

It's as if she's clinging on so desperately for her youth.

She use to dress much simpler and much more classy. She's become a caricature of herself, though I don't think how she dresses now is exactly who she is.

I was embarrassed for her when she came out on a charity runway event wearing a beaded gold catsuit/unitard and a veil.

It's as if she's clinging on so desperately for her youth.

have you seen her twitter feed? All those photos.... :unsure::innocent:

Does she dress stylishly? Hell no. She has a collection of very expensive clothes and she's weird. That does not make a person stylish. Interesting, yes.

I`m trying to figure out what your point is :P

If you're not suggesting that she is being opportunistic lately and jumping into the spotlight (iow attention wh*ring) then what are you saying?

I don't see it as any different than L'wren Scott being a judge on Project Runway.

I see it as being in a time where news travels faster than before, she is exploring her art since she couldn't do so when married, and being a part of the "trend" (over the top eccentrics like lady gaga, katy perry, post-isabella) lends to her constant media exposure.

first- she is part of no trend...she has always been like this...
second- it is completely different than anything l'wren scott does- as l'wren scott is promoting and selling a clothing line...

daphne guinness is not promoting or selling anything...
except... it would seem...ART...
or maybe- fashion as art...life as art?...

- i suppose-
my point is that she seems to be on some sort of 'mission' right now...possibly propelled to do so because of recent events...
she seems to be experimenting and testing the waters...
trying to figure out how to do whatever it is that she is trying to do...
she seems to be searching for something in a way...

i find it intriguing...
^_^

The exhibition will be accompanied by a book, also titled Daphne Guinness, written by Valerie Steele and Daphne Guinness, and published by Yale University Press. All royalties from sales of the book will benefit the Fashion Institute of Technology.
this is pretty awesome...
:P

Does she dress stylishly? Hell no. She has a collection of very expensive clothes and she's weird. That does not make a person stylish. Interesting, yes.
just because she doesn't dress like everyone else doesn't mean she doesn't dress well...

i think she has immaculate taste really...
even if it is her own specific taste...
and that is pretty much the definition of style...

B)

you're not being serious,right?She's totally stylish!Just a tad eccentric but in a beautiful kind of way,not the GaGa-LOOK AT ME-way

Whatever her motives are, I don't give a s%#t. I can't wait to see these creations up close, not to mention purchase the book. If it provides one closer look into the enigma, so be it.

Displaying Daphne

By SUZY MENKES

19iht-rdaphne19-articleLarge.jpg

The Museum at F.I.T.
From the "Daphne Guinness" exhibit at the Fashion Institute of Technology: a dress by Azzedine Alaia; a design by Alexander McQueen for Givenchy and a dress and hooded robe by Gareth Pugh.

The style setter Daphne Guinness

19iht-rdaphne19-inline-articleInline.jpg

NEW YORK — It is the rigor that strikes the first note. In her stark black Chanel coat fitted on a wisp of a mannequin, or floating in a silvered jumpsuit on the hologram overhead, Daphne Guinness embodies an uncompromising elegance.

The muse, art collector and style setter, with a linear silhouette from a platinum stripe in her upswept coiffure to the ultra-high heel-less shoes, has made herself her most powerful creation over the last 10 years. And now the collector of couture and the owner of dozens of Alexander McQueen outfits has been rewarded by a museum display at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York (through Jan. 7).

Valerie Steele, director and chief curator of the F.I.T. museum, worked for two years with her subject, who turned out to have kept her enormous collection — from a Gareth Pugh catsuit studded with nails to lush Oriental wraps — on a computer database.

“Daphne is more than a clothes horse, and she is not just an accumulator,” Ms. Steele says. “She is building a fashion collection, then she takes that to create her own persona. The first time I met her, I asked her if she would do an exhibition. I think she is one of the most fascinating fashion icons in the world today.”

The exhibition opens with black tailoring, laced with white, in a section labeled “Dandy.” It shows the sharp pieces that the owner dresses up with a dashing hat or, in real life, with exceptional jewelry, the fruits of a 12-year marriage that ended in divorce to a son of the Greek shipping billionaire Stavros Niarchos.

Ms. Guinness traces her “tendency to simplify” and to be “crisp looking” to her grandmother, Diana Mitford, one of the famous (or even infamous) Mitford sisters. In a family picture in the book accompanying the exhibit, the family roots of style are evident.

The Daphne look is more daring in the section named “Armour,” where the taut clothes, whether in lace or metal, form a shell around her silhouette.

Although she is closely associated with the late Mr. McQueen and recently bought the entire collection of the designer’s work that had been owned by Isabella Blow, the sections of daytime and evening chic show that the great couture houses, like Chanel, Dior and even Valentino, form a powerful part of the “Daphne” wardrobe. It is just that, in her way of wearing the clothes, Ms. Guinness could take a satin Dior evening column or a flirty Azzedine Alaïa dress and make them her own.
Ms. Steele’s final display areas (the six are divided by translucent scrims) are named “Sparkle” and “Exotic.” And it is here that Mr. McQueen dominates the picture, with a striking kimono patterned with cranes from the designer’s years at Givenchy in Paris, contrasting with other outfits trimmed with feathers or fur.

Apart from one Christian Lacroix couture outfit, the clothes mostly have a stark simplicity in cut. Some of them have exotic features (like the Shaun Leane diamond glove that Ms. Guinness wears in the hologram). A few ideas might have come via the surrealist Salvador Dali, a close friend of her mother and a man who kept lobsters in his swimming pool.

Although the book (published by Yale University Press) is full of intriguing quotes and comments, the exhibition could use some more information, even pedantry, in explaining the essence of couture. It could also have put Ms. Guinness in the context of a chain of fashion originals, like Nancy Cunard, the 1930s socialite immortalized in Man Ray photographs.
The burning question, which is never quite answered, is how to define a fashion original — and to decide whether the Daphne Guinness look makes her a free spirit or an extraordinary English eccentric.

nytimes.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucilam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->