Death by Chanel, or the dangers of heavy bags

Reaction score
I own the Chanel 2.55 Jumbo Bag in Black Lambskin and it is a beautiful bag but it is extremely uncomfortable. Since the bag is much bigger than the traditional 2.55 it weighs a lot more and even more so when full of junk. The chain straps would dig into my shoulder and cause a lot of pain. It became so bad that I had to go to my doctor who told me that I should not continue to carry that bag because the weight of the bag combined with the chain is detrimental to your health because it causes a lot of strain and will eventually lead to posture problems. I also had a problem with an Hermes Travel Birkin. I've really become surprised to know that for all these years when people were worrying about stilettos they really should have been worrying about handbags. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems caused by handbags?

Well, being beautiful does have a cost > <...but yah, i have a Dior Gaucho messenger bag and sometimes i do have the same problem. When i put a lot of stuff in the bag, the ring connecting two sides of the strap becomes very uncomfortable and sometimes even leaves a mark behind...

I'm just kinda curious but what kind of problem can you have with a Hermes Travel Birkin :P?

Yes, I did ... it wasn't a Chanel or Birkin though :wink: I remember an article that identified a condition called 'Birkin elbow' :wink: To spend all that money & then not be able to carry the bag ... :ninja:

I solved my problem by eliminating shoulder-strap bags altogether ... I just don't consider them anymore. I carry top-handle bags only, and smallish ones at that.

My Travel Birkin is the 60 cm version so it really is a large bag. The thing is I didn't just use it for travel I used it to schlep everything around with me. In the bag I could have anything from Assouline books to my mac book to beaded evening wear. The reason for all the stuff is that I live in the low 60s but I work all the way downtown so I'll usually change at the end of the day and go out directly from work. So on any given day I could be carrying a second outfit complete with accessories. When fully packed the bag weighed upwards of fifty pounds. The bag has handles so you are carrying all that weight in one hand. Now I use that bag only for travel and my day bags consists of the 40 cm Birkin in different colors and skins but always with gold hardware, a travel version of the Kelly bag and the Gucci Hysteria in yellow crocodile and black python.

I love the title of this thread!:D
There are several articles out there on how heavy bags nowadays are getting, especially since large bags have come back into style.
To share my own anecdote, I am an incorrigible pack-mule, I love big bags and toss in tons of stuff into them and they end up getting extremely heavy. I have a XL Jumbo 2.55, but I tend to pack less into it as it is a structured bag. The type that really gets me or rather my back, into trouble are the slouchy, unstructured types. I have noticed that my lower back aches at the end of the day and I am sure it's caused by all the bags that I carry. I do pilates and yoga to stretch my back but I am not sure how helpful the sessions are. The fact that I am building a shoe collection too (consisting of 4-inch plus heels), isn't really helping! :doh:

I am trying to pack a lot less into my bags nowadays. I love the look of a huge bag, but am slowly falling in love with the elegance of a structured smallish bag too. The good thing about fashion nowadays is that there are several options, and I am trying to rein in my packing habits because I do fear for my back as I get older.

WSJ article - January 5th, 2008.

This is the article that I stuck in my mind, as I was reading this thread:

Reproduced from WSJ.com
[FONT=times new roman,times,arial]January 5, 2008 [/FONT]
b.gif

Extreme Baggage

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Giant handbags are getting bigger -- and are a growing concern[/FONT]
[FONT=times new roman,times,serif][FONT=times new roman,times,serif]By VANESSA O'CONNELL
January 5, 2008
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
One of the biggest fashion trends of 2007, giant handbags are going even more extreme in 2008. Some of the largest bags, shown by everyone from Louis Vuitton to Chanel and Prada, now measure up to nearly 2 feet in length, the size of a small garbage can.

Women might want to start adding aspirin bottles to the enormous bags. Karen Erickson, a chiropractor in New York and a spokeswoman for the American Chiropractic Association, estimates that the number of purse-related injuries and sprains she treats has risen 30% in the past year. "When people come into my office complaining of neck pain, shoulder pain and headaches, I go over and pick up their handbag and give it a weigh test," she says. "It is amazing how heavy they get."
Research on kids who carry backpacks suggests they should lug amounts that are no heavier than 10% of body weight. Doctors say the recommended total weight for handbags is far less because of the pressure the bags can cause on one shoulder. Dr. Erickson tells her patients that their fully loaded handbags should weigh no more than 1 or 2 pounds -- although she sees many women who regularly carry 10 to 15 pounds.
"The issue with some of the largest purses is their capacity," says Leon Benson, an orthopedic surgeon in Evanston, Ill., who is also a spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
OA-AP676_PT_Big_20080104194129.gif
Dr. Benson says he sees lots of women come in with a particular type of tendonitis that causes pain in their shoulders. The remedy typically is labor-intensive physical therapy to rebalance the muscles and reduce inflammation of the tendons, "but the patients don't like it," he says.
Kathleen Henson, in Wheaton, Ill., says she's been carrying increasingly larger handbags. In the past year, Ms. Henson, who is 36, noticed that her back was starting to hurt. She began getting muscle stimulation treatments at a local chiropractor and then resorted to visiting a local pain clinic. There, an anesthesiologist gave her five cortisone shots in her shoulders and upper back and told her to lay off carrying heavy purses.
Despite this, says Ms. Henson, she's having trouble abandoning the huge bags. She recently bought herself a large red Balenciaga Office bag, which she describes as "very chic and functional because you can fit a lot of stuff in it." She often carries her laptop and a notebook, as well as her BlackBerry, wallet, sunglasses, shoes, hairbrush, makeup, a can of Diet Coke and items for her four kids. Even without the laptop and Diet Coke, the bag can weigh 7 pounds.
Kelly Cook, a Los Angeles blogger for Bagsnob.com2, a bag-review site, finds her Yves Saint Laurent Large Downtown bag -- 17 inches high by 11 inches wide -- perfect for toting all her stuff. She fills it up with diapers and formula for her kids, in addition to her wallet, cellphone, charger, camera and makeup. When full, the bag weighs in at about 17 pounds and Ms. Cook, who suffers from chronic back pain, says that's "a big problem." She tries to avoid carrying it by hooking it on the stroller. The bag is so heavy that the stroller tips over if a kid isn't sitting inside it.
Kari Schlegel admits to suffering sharp pain in her shoulder from her habitual use. Her new handbag, the YSL Muse, measures 14 inches high and almost 18 inches wide. It gives the 23-year-old Dallas resident enough room to carry everything she needs for the day -- a 20-ounce water bottle, cosmetics, a sweater, a daily planner, an iPhone, a digital camera, three tangerines, a wallet and sunglasses -- but the bag can weigh about 15 pounds. When Ms. Schlegel goes to a chiropractor, once a month or so, the practitioner "gets mad at me whenever I walk in there with my big purse."
OA-AP674_PT_Big_20080104193924.gif

It is a problem for everyone.

The average woman's handbag now weighs the same as FIVE bags of sugar

By NICK MCDERMOTT
Last updated at 16:58 17 December 2007

007siennaDM_228x497.jpg

Two bags: Not content with just the one huge bad, Sienna Miller doubles up

It's the 5lb no woman can leave the house without.
Modern life means today's crammed handbag weighs as much as five bags of sugar.
In the past five years, researchers say, the burden on a woman's shoulder has increased 38 per cent to an average of 5.2lb. Within a decade, it is predicted to reach 6.6lb.

The rising number of gadgets many choose to carry is said to be to blame.
Although women are keen to carry a laptop and mobile phone charger along with their tissues and lip gloss, the bags are often unable to cope.
To help them take the strain, Asda - which carried out the research --has asked its suppliers to strengthen the stitching and weight-bearing straps for the supermarket's range.

Brand director Fiona Lambert said: "Women have often complained that modern life is becoming a burden and now we know they are right.

"We're amazed by how quickly the weight of a handbag has grown.

"The stress endured by the material and straps of a heavily laden bag as it swings freely from the shoulder is considerable.

"It can be the equivalent of a hod carrier on a building site.

KateKylieES1312_468x477.jpg
From Kate Moss to Kylie, no self-respecting girl about town can do without their handbag

"Increasing weight now means that most bags are now carried over the shoulder than in the hand, with larger bags becoming more popular."

Women be warned - it's not just your bag that is struggling with the extra burden. Chiropractors have noticed an increase in injuries related to heavy handbags and said earlier this year they were considering issuing a warning.

007baqgraphic_228x459.jpg

Therapist Tim Hutchful explained: "The problem with carrying a heavy bag is that while it may not cause you an injury at the time, it has a cumulative effect.

"We're seeing more instances of back pain triggered as a result."

For many, it seems, the risk is worth taking. Sue Braddick, assistant handbag buyer at John Lewis, said yesterday: "We're seeing a trend for bigger bags.

"For example, sales of Mulberry bags, which tend to be bigger anyway, are up 10 per cent."

Radley's new large tote is also selling well, she added.

"Our two best-selling own brands are compartment bags. They have lots of different pockets so it helps women organise the many things they have to carry."

Daily mail

Rise of the killer bags

Last updated at 17:14 22 January 2007

KillerBagsModel_228x411.jpg

Bags of damage: be warned

Supersize totes may be all the rage, but should they come with a health warning? CLAIRE COLEMAN is sure we will all be suffering for style this season.

The concept of suffering for beauty is nothing new, but this season it looks like we're all going to be suffering for fashion. And we're not just talking about the perils that being perennially stylish can pose to your bank balance, but about the damage that your passion for fashion could be doing to your health.

It seems that super-sizing your handbag could be as potentially problematic as super-sizing your McDonalds. This week chiropractors said that they were seriously considering issuing a medical warning after seeing a noticeable increase in the number of 'heavy handbag related injuries'.

The problem, it seems, is not just that the handbags themselves are painfully heavy, draped and bedecked as they are with more bling than a rapper's convention, but also that their capacious depths, with room not only to carry a cat, but to swing one too, encourage us to fill them with endless amounts of stuff.

A recent study discovered that women today carry twice as much in their handbags as our mothers used to. While mum might have had a coin purse, a powder compact, a couple of tissues and a house key, we're now toting a whopping great
wallet/diary/address book Filofax affair, an entire make-up bag and a bottle of water, plus great bunches of keys for the house, the office and the car. And that's before we get to all the gadgets and gizmos - MP3 players, mobile phones, laptops etc.

According to social anthropologist, Kate Fox, of the Social Issues Research Centre in Oxford, our love of large luggage isn't just down to fashion. "Larger women generally prefer to carry a big bag as it makes their bum look smaller in comparison. And, the fashionably petite like to emphasise their size zero status by carrying an outsize bag." No wonder skinny minnies like Mary-Kate Olsen and Posh are always dragging around handbags the size of houses.

Of course overfilling your enormous bag is all well and good if you're a celebrity, like Sienna or Kate, with a million minions running around after you and a limo waiting to whisk you from door to door, but what about the rest of us? Well, until British Rail start introducing porters as standard, or it becomes acceptable to commandeer small children as slaves, we're lumbered with dragging the equivalent of a small suitcase over our shoulders as we schlepp around town.

"The problem with carrying a heavy bag is that while it may not cause you an injury at the time you carry it, over time it has a cummulative effect, and we're certainly seeing more instances of back pain triggered as a result," says Tim Hutchful of the British Chiropractic Association.

"The worst case scenario is that you injure your neck by stretching the nerves. But carrying a heavy bag over one shoulder also causes you to totally shift your body's stance as you hike the shoulder up and, over time, this can shorten the muscles resulting in a twisted or lop-sided body position, that in turn can lead to back pain."
Ladies, you have been warned...

BAG CARRYING FOR BEGINNERS
If you're absolutely adamant that you're going to become a fully paid-up member of the big bag brigade, here's how to do it:

Start out by minimising how much stuff you?re putting in your bag. Do you really need a litre of water with you at all times? Ditch anything you don?t need and then think about how you carry your bag.

"Ideally the load should be distributed evenly across your body, which means using something like a rucksack. The second best option is to wear a bag that you carry across your body like a satchel," says Tim Hutchful. If, however, you're toting a tote, this isn't really going to be practical, instead try to carry your bag as close to your body as possible.

"Carrying your bag in the crook of your arm is one of the worst possible places you can carry it as it's further away from your centre of gravity so it puts more strain on the body. If you hold something at arm's length, the pressure it puts on the body is five times greater than if you were carrying it close to your chest."

Staying mobile by exercising regularly is also advisable (presumably carrying your gym stuff in a rucksack rather than your big bag). "If you?ve got toned abs and a strong core from exercise like pilates, you?re much less likely to hurt yourself," says Hutchful.
Then, it?s a question of balance. "If you?re walking down the road with a huge bag on your shoulder, a mobile tucked under your chin and you?re wearing a pair of 4" stilettos, you?re just asking for trouble because you haven?t got a stable base so you?re going to be straining the body.
daily mail

Here's the thing ... no one really needs all that crap they're carrying in those huge bags.

I don't carry ...

Food and water, which are commonly sold everywhere I will be going :P
Makeup, other than lipstick--I applied it this morning, it's still on my face
Toys for the kids--what kids? :wink:
Laptop--safely parked on my desk, thank you very much
Blackberry, Treo, etc.--just say no

I do carry ...

A small wallet with cash, cards, and a couple of checks
Lipstick in lipstick case & makeup bag
Pillbox with a bit of anything I might need
Sewing kit
Cellphone
Nail clippers & file
Pen
Keys & pepper spray
Kleenex
Mints
Plastic bag for dogs
Address book
Small ruler (for antiquing)

And I could pare back from this--the pepper spray & some of the lipsticks :wink:

Really this is all I need--& I frequently address others' emergencies as well as my own from this small stash ...

I do carry a bit of junk in my bag, but my biggest issue is a I use my XL Muse to carry my laptop (which isn't small and lightweight) and cords with me. My bag on a good day I would estimate weighs about 15 pounds. But I've grown used to it and I know when my shoulder get's sore to carry it differently.

I LIVE by big bags........ They need to hold a lot of stuff that I don't really need but I feel better with than without:

-bottle water
-makeup bag
-hand sanitizer
-cell
-heavy wallet
-keys
-tylenols + yasmin
-kleenex
-pens
-agenda

Oh I have serious trouble with leather bags. I have started carrying a canvas bag instead :doh:

I FEEL YOU. Everytime I visit my doctor and I always weigh my bag on the scale, and it always says 5.5 ~ 7 lbs.

This thread is turning me off my dream bag - Hermes' shoulder birkin! Maybe I should stick with the 32 inch Kelly! Day to day - I don't need to schelp around huge quantities of junk. Just a mini makeup bag, wallet, mobile, keys, passport and telescope umbrella. Bigger bags however are needed for travel - but I think I'll keep them for that.

^ The woman who wrote the 'Birkin elbow' article ended up carrying her Kelly & displaying her Birkin--a pretty expensive paperweight :wink:

funny thread.. :P

if i wanted to carry so much, i use a backpack (which is also coming in style no? ^^)..
some of the "purses" shown in this thread :shock: it's what i have for when i'm -travelling- (and which lies in a compartment of a car or something) :ninja: def not for carrying + walking around, and not for everyday
i find it heavier if you carry bags on one shoulder or with your hands

This thread reminds me of the character Ashling (aka Little Miss Fixit) in Marian Keyes' Sushi for Beginners (a really sweet book). She carries everything in her bag--Rescue Remedy, nail polish, bandaids ... anything and everything she might need to fix any problem she or anyone else could possibly have. I'd tell you what happens to the bag in the end but that would be a spoiler :wink: I just can't believe people really need all the stuff they carry :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaffir124
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->