Designers Parody Women At Fashion Shows

stylegurrl

Reaction score
Designers parody women at Paris fashion shows
by MELANIE MCDONAGH, Daily Mail

ake the most beautiful young women in the world, dress them in Paris couture frocks - no expense or labour spared - put them on a catwalk and what do you get? A collection of drag queens, that's what.

Yesterday, John Galliano, the British designer for Christian Dior, unveiled his collection for Spring 2005. Its theme was royalty - Galliano was inspired by the 19th-century beauty Empress Elisabeth of Austria - and it was meant, said the designer, to mark a return to 'full-on glamour' in women's fashion.

But what we actually saw was something quite different: a gay man's parody of female sexuality. A succession of 39 mannequins who couldn't, in their skin-tight frocks, walk down the steps of the catwalk, who could hardly stay upright in their six-inch stilettos, whose faces were unrecognisable under their geisha-white make-up and whose dresses were inconceivexceptionable as something you would actually wear.

Look here too...

Gallery: John Galliano for Christian Dior at Paris Fashion Week

Pictures: The latest fashions from Paris Fashion Week

Impossible to move

Indeed, the women who were paid to model them had to be lifted off the stage by bouncers because it was impossible to wear these skin-tight gowns and actually move.

It used to be that Parisian haute couture designers had the Midas touch that could make even plain women beautiful. This is the Midas touch in reverse. Galliano is the fashion genius who can turn beauties into freaks.

Of course, the rich and famous clients whose sense of self-worth depends on their places in the front row of Galliano's show weren't going to say that this particular emperor's clothes are a kind of couturier's parody of real women - a queeny version of what queens should look like.

And, of course, as sheer theatre goes, there is nothing to beat a show like this. It's pure fantasy and spectacle.

But even though the workmanship of the clothes was peerless, the embroidery breathtaking, the handpainted birds on the crinolines beautiful, there was no getting away from it: they represented something sinister about the way women appear at the apex of the fashion world.

Models look like space aliens

And it's not just John Galliano who is responsible for this joke at the expense of simple women. His fellow Brit, Alexander McQueen, sent his models out looking like space aliens in his latest collection. This, remember, is the man who once put amputees on the catwalk to show that his clothes could be worn by anyone.

And they can - as long as the models in question have no desire to look like real women.

Onceupon a time - in the 1950s, say - ordinary women fantasised about possessing a Paris gown if they only had the money. Now, the clothes have never cost more - prices for a couture dress start at £10,000 - but only Danny La Rue would covet the frocks.

Of course, there's nothing new about gay men designing women's clothes - and some of them have done so with genius.

Almost without the most brilliant designers are, and always have been, male and homosexual.

I asked a couple of fashionista friends of mine to name a single major heterosexual male designer, and they were stumped.

Eventually, one of them came up, rather lamely, with the name of Clements Ribeiro, the husband-and-wife team which does, indeed, produce covetable women's clothes. All the others were gay.

But homosexuality is such an obvious feature of the fashion world that the women - and it's chiefly women - who write about it hardly notice the phenomenon any more.

Curious idea of how women viewed

But it does help to explain the gap between the designers' view of what women should look like and what women for whom the clothes are notionally designed actually look like.

Gay designers may have the sense of style, spectacle and extravagance that makes for brilliant fashion theatre, but, taken to extremes, these same attributes can simply look like fashion misogyny.

The Galliano show, with models sporting crowns all askew over wildly frizzed-up hair and nipped-in 15in waists, gives contemporary women a very curious idea of how they are viewed.

What does it tell you about a designer when women can't walk in his clothes, let alone breathe properly in his crinolines? When they are depicted as disempowered, immobile figures with doll-like faces daubed in chalk-white make-up?

Not a woman-hater

But the real tragedy is that Galliano is simply brilliant at making beautiful clothes when he wants to. Away from the headline-grabbing, look-at-me spectacle of the couture shows, he makes lovely dresses for wealthy clients who have no intention of looking like outlandish human versions of the cartoon character Jessica Rabbit.

He is, personally, a kind man - the reverse of the woman-hater his clothes make him out to be. Similarly, Alexander McQueen's tailoring skills are legendary.

The real problem of the Paris shows is that they conceal not just the models' beauty but also the designers' ability to make clothes that real women would want to wear.

For although this week's creations verged on the grotesque, it is also the case that no one wants every dress designer to turn out the kind of clothes you'd buy in Marks & Spencer.

But there was once a time when it was possible to combine fashion genius with an appreciation of femininity and elegance.

Alas, what Paris fashion now looks like is a conspiracy against pretty women.

This story first appeared in the . For more great stories like this, buy the Daily Mail every day.

Daily Mail

sounds like exactly what i was saying in the couture thread...u :innocent:

Wow.....I have to say that I agree on the unwearability, but yeah it is theatre and yeah it is look at me I'm great, but as she said in the last paragraph they get translated in wonderfull and beautifull clothes. But to pin every gay designer on one haystec is absolutely ridiculous. It is nonsense that every gay designer insults women on the catwalk, pure nonsense! And also, this lady should get her facts right: there were 29 and not 39 models and the show was for fall/winter 2005 not spring 2005!

Interesting, I kind of disagree, but it's still an interesting perspective of things.

"Almost without the most brilliant designers are, and always have been, male and homosexual.

I asked a couple of fashionista friends of mine to name a single major heterosexual male designer, and they were stumped. "

Ahhh... lets try Roberto Cavalli perhaps??? Bitc*.. i hate how people always think fashion designers are gay and stereotype.. stupid woman.

I think the writer took the show out of context. It is one thing to send unwearable clothes down the runway during the show but it isn't unwearble clothes that eventually gets sold. Galliano and Mcqueen's aesthetic is not selective just towards women as their men's collections carry the same theatrical and progressive qualities. It debunks the writer's theory.

Also some straight male designers, Tommy Hilfiger, Issey Miyake, Yohji Yamamoto, Oscar De La Renta. It really isn't hard to come up with a couple names.

I was thiniking that too, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, as well as the ones listed, I mean, gay men don't hold the market for male fashion designers (even though I happen to like them better).......what a totally stupid thing to say.

Plus, the writer was looking at two designers who are known as much for their talent as for their theatrical presentations. I mean, I highly doubt that Galliano ever expects women to don the persona of his catwalk models, same with McQueen. No offense, but the way this woman is speaking, she doesn't sound like she has the ability to look past presentation in a fashion show which leads me to believe that she isn't of the fashion flock. Whether it looks good by real world standards or not, the way a model looks on a runway is apart of the designer's vision, but doesn't necessarily reflect how they think women should look.....

Well said Spike.. I agree with you fully.. cept you should back up what you say at the end with because.. so "it doesn't necessarily reflect how they think women should look..." because why?? i like what you've said.. but i cant think of the reason why it doesnt reflect how they think women should look.. so i was just wondering if you had that reason?

Also.. Calvin Klein is gay..
"While he has been married, his days as a bachelor hanging out at the famed Studio 54 could be considered questionable, as can his sexuality." Sourced from: www.AskMen.com Even tho this doens't fully suggest that he is gay.. i read it somewhere else but cant find it.

I agree with a lot of what the journalist said in her article.... its is refreshing that she is just saying what a lot of people think. Even though I think his collections could be argued as being beautiful, I can't help but feel like he is atking the p*ss out of women to an extent - I mean - they couldn't breathe properly....how can that be good?

one thing thats clear about Mr Galliano - he elicits reaction if nothing else. thats sells lipsticks I guess!!!

I beg to differ that Cavalli is a 'brilliant' designer....Yoji isn't gay is he?

Originally posted by helena@Jul 21 2004, 01:57 PM
I agree with a lot of what the journalist said in her article.... its is refreshing that she is just saying what a lot of people think. Even though I think his collections could be argued as being beautiful, I can't help but feel like he is atking the p*ss out of women to an extent - I mean - they couldn't breathe properly....how can that be good?

one thing thats clear about Mr Galliano - he elicits reaction if nothing else. thats sells lipsticks I guess!!!

I beg to differ that Cavalli is a 'brilliant' designer....Yoji isn't gay is he?
[snapback]313879[/snapback]​

i didnt had time to go through the article yet :ninja:
but i've got the message from your posts
and i agree with Helena's points, this is what people are thinking/talking about..
my main problem with Galliano's attitude is his shows esthetics,
the clearly aricature make up, the kitchy poses, the horrible platform shoes..
season after season after season.. yawwwwn

i will also agree on the cavalli comment.. Yohji isnt gay at all,
he was rei's old bf..

still i wont agree on the gay connection that much,
its not like 'all gay people think or create the same way',
every single gay person is such a different story, its only true.
i so despise 'labeling' minority group actions or trusting the clichès.

if a gay guy does 'caricature' the female form,
well, so do some straight female designers,
to me its not a gender/sexuality issue
its a matter of culture and refinement.

( :blush: steping down from soapbox) :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Jul 21 2004, 09:14 AM
i didnt had time to go through the article yet :ninja:
but i've got the message from your posts
and i agree with Helena's points, this is what people are thinking/talking about..
my main problem with Galliano's attitude is his shows esthetics,
the clearly aricature make up, the kitchy poses, the horrible platform shoes..
season after season after season.. yawwwwn

i will also agree on the cavalli comment.. Yohji isnt gay at all,
he was rei's old bf..

still i wont agree on the gay connection that much,
its not like 'all gay people think or create the same way',
every single gay person is such a different story, its only true.
i so despise 'labeling' minority group actions or trusting the clichès.

if a gay guy does 'caricature' the female form,
well, so do some straight female designers,
to me its not a gender/sexuality issue
its a matter of culture and refinement.

( :blush: steping down from soapbox) :ninja:
[snapback]313887[/snapback]​

Lena - if you don't mind, I'll step back on your soapbox - why do some designers want women to look foolish? surely designers ought to want to empower women.... is it not foolish looking when someone can't walk in the clothes they are wearing. women aren't trophies or spectacles to be stared at like galliano seems to want them to be.

My thoughts....

I can sympathise with what she says in the article, but not necessarily for the reasons give. While it may be fair enought to point out that statistically most male fashion designers are gay, you need to really think about what conclusions, if any, you can draw from that. I honstly don't know what those conclusions should be, but surely it can't be that gay male fashion designers are misogynistic? I assume that from what you say above Cavalli isn't gay, but the clothes he makes for women absolutely objectify them in a purely sexual way. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you could argue that Armani is mysoginistic or overtly sexual. There are just too many exceptions to any supposed rule. In a sense I think the gay male designer point is more relevant to their menswear collections. I'm convinced that no straight could come up with (or wear as shown) the Galliano clothes. They're deliberately fetishistic in their styling and detail. But then again there's nothing camp about Armani for men - on the contrary.

Anyway the Daily Mail is a right wing anti-gay rag :angry: , so most importantly, I think the artilce should be read in that light.

Originally posted by Johnny@Jul 21 2004, 11:51 AM
My thoughts....

I can sympathise with what she says in the article, but not necessarily for the reasons give. While it may be fair enought to point out that statistically most male fashion designers are gay, you need to really think about what conclusions, if any, you can draw from that. I honstly don't know what those conclusions should be, but surely it can't be that gay male fashion designers are misogynistic? I assume that from what you say above Cavalli isn't gay, but the clothes he makes for women absolutely objectify them in a purely sexual way. On the other hand, I'm not sure how you could argue that Armani is mysoginistic or overtly sexual. There are just too many exceptions to any supposed rule. In a sense I think the gay male designer point is more relevant to their menswear collections. I'm convinced that no straight could come up with (or wear as shown) the Galliano clothes. They're deliberately fetishistic in their styling and detail. But then again there's nothing camp about Armani for men - on the contrary.

Anyway the Daily Mail is a right wing anti-gay rag :angry: , so most importantly, I think the artilce should be read in that light.
[snapback]313918[/snapback]​

Agreed entirely , especially about ' The Daily Mail ' !!! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Stick to , ' The Guardian ' !!! :P :P :P

KIT :innocent:

Johnny :heart: I too dislike the Daily Mail & when I started reading the article I was fully expecting to disagree with all she says. However, the gay/misogyny point aside I do think she makes some good point is her article. You and Lena are both saying the same thing I think - that you can't make rules about how someone is just because they are gay. agreed. I suspect you are right about her anti-gay agenda given her readership. :yuk: Someone mentioned mcQueen - incidentally io think he 'treats' women with a lot more respect than Galliano does.

I must say however as i feel one can never say often enough ---Cavalli clothes are mingin!! :wacko: :shock::sick: :sick:

I LOVE freakish fashion! Outlandish clothes and shows are interesting and fun. What's the point in having a "show" when you only want to see normal people wearing normal clothes?

I have to agree with almost everything said by anyone...a show is IMO an occasion to show your true feelings and inspirations. If freaky and unwearable and perhaps respectless clothes come out of it, what ever! It simply is just a show. What happens on the runway in the cases of McQueen and especially Galliano does not end up in the stores (thank God) What ends up in the stores is basically very beautifull and desirable. If a designers likes to dress his models up like draq queens, p*rnstars, hobo's, cows or ostriches, then that's his right. Almost all the time it looks mighty fine just for the occasion and even more mighty fine in the stores and that basically is what we have to look at.

That was my 2 cents...and some more too :P

What a poorly written article. I imagine the Daily Mail is equivalent to the New York Post? :sick:

I understand her initial point, but the rest is so diluted and illogical that I can't even draw from the article what she is attempting to say.

Also, Calvin Klein is very gay. I'm always astounded when people think he's straight. Did anyone else read about his recent rent boy fiasco in the Hamptons?!

Hum.. I did read the piece of CK's boystravaganzza!
Oh ... and the article is well... drifting constantly... first, the writer slap the designers, then kiss 'em ?
I don't think their (McQueen/Galliano) visions are just gay ... McQueen and Galliano are not even that alike ...
There are some points I agree, on how we men use to idealize women and try to do it throught (in this case) clothing ...
But in a way both McQueen and Galliano ARE theatricall and they love the drama .. I mean, it's expected on their shows. I think the journalist should've documenteed himself/interview the men themselves before editorializing this piece.

Lets be honest most designers are male and gay, I can't see a big influx of straight men coming into fashion design anytime soon either, but what about the new generation of female designers who are really making an impact - they seem to come out London mainly as with most new talent - Stella, Luella, Pheobe, Sophia (kokosolaki) . . .

Then there is the new head of womenswear at Gucci, the designer at Azzaro . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->