Diamonds Set in Gold vs. Silver-toned metals... thoughts?

Yasmin

Reaction score
I like silver-toned metals for everything, but NOT for settings for my diamonds.

There is a very simple reason:

CONTRAST.

Whenever I am given a gift of diamond jewlerry, the stone(s) is/are usually smallish, (no complaints though! Are you kidding?! :D) and people ALWAYS tend to buy them in silver-toned settings. Sometimes even with a sort of bumpy texture that really RENDERS INVISIBLE the little stone.

I guess the idea is to "magnify" by not providing the contrast, but I just don't think that works. When your setting is SILVER-toned (esp. light/white), your stone "disappears" into it.

That's why they always display diamond jewlerry on BLACK velvet -- it's as opposite to white&hard as it gets!

I really believe that yellow GOLD brings out the perfect, scintillating sparkle of diamonds (can you tell I love them?), but I am ready for you to convince me otherwise!

If you always prefer a silver-toned setting for your diamond(s), please tell me why! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer diamonds set in white gold or platinum. To me the diamonds look bigger when set in white gold or platinum. I have never liked diamonds with yellow gold. If your diamonds are an I or less clear color, yellow gold will make the diamonds look yellowish.

I disagree, I think white metal gives the illusion of a bigger diamond by blurring the confinement of the diamond.

Diamonds set in platinum - hands down. I think it's a much cleaner look.

bumping old thread:

to answer, i wear diamonds in YG. i do think plat is best for diamonds(ITA about them appearing a bit larger in plt) but the YG is more flattering to my skin.

Hipkitten said:
Diamonds set in platinum - hands down. I think it's a much cleaner look.

I echo this, I don't like diamonds set in yellow gold at all.:ninja:

I'm gonna have to side with the white gold/platinum people here too because I always disliked diamonds with yellow gold. I always thought something looked off about them. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flawlessdisaster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->