DIY home projects...

oooh critic I loove it...thats a fabulous idea!!! That was one of my favorite ads this issue.

my boyfriend and i made a garment rack out of copper pipes (we don't have a closet) and it's sagging in the middle :lol: i'll take a picture tomorrow during the day when it's light...it was relatively cheap and took 2 minutes to assemble!

^ finally got a chance to take some pictures!

notice the droopy middle :doh: :lol:

:lol: Love it frannie! Great to see all the pics guys. Softie, the mirror looks great with the gold peeking through the white. Love all the ideas

Here are some pics of my fireplace....

my hubby and I painted it all white and once winter comes we'll load it with firewood and the inside will turn black (like you see from the candles we had in there).

the second pics are of our guest bath....we wanted the sauna feel...so we installed (yes, the two of us together)...wood slats and my husband built the sink out of the same wood.

this bathroom was a closet.

HEY!!!...
that bathroom looks amazing!!..
i've always wanted to do that very thing in my bathroom as i LOVE that sauna feel myself!....
was it hard?...

great job!!...thanks for the pics...
:flower:

i painted the far wall of my loft grey...
it looks so good i think i am going to paint the opposite wall grey as well...^_^...

Last edited by a moderator:
great stuff!!!....
francesca....i think the 'droop' is endearing....
and happiness, i love both the fireplace AND bathroom.....really cool.....

softie, your mirror still haunts me.....
its very shabby chic......i love it....
what material was it before you painted it white??....

i wish this thread would take off......its GREAT!

adore-
the mirror is an antique...wood and plaster...gilded...

softgrey said:
HEY!!!...
that bathroom looks amazing!!..
i've always wanted to do that very thing in my bathroom as i LOVE that sauna feel myself!....
was it hard?...

great job!!...thanks for the pics...
:flower:

i painted the far wall of my loft grey...
it looks so good i think i am going to paint the opposite wall grey as well...^_^...

Not hard at all...we used invisible nails to secure it to the walls, but the wood slats that we used had grooves on each end so it was easy for the wood to "rest" next to each other. got the wood from home depot. :flower:...it only got "hard" when it was 2 in the morning and we were still installing...I was so tired. But I really like the outcome. thanks for the karma soft and I wanna see pics of your loft. :D

adorefaith said:
great stuff!!!....
francesca....i think the 'droop' is endearing....
and happiness, i love both the fireplace AND bathroom.....really cool.....

softie, your mirror still haunts me.....
its very shabby chic......i love it....
what material was it before you painted it white??....

i wish this thread would take off......its GREAT!

thanks adore. I hope this thread takes off as well. Once we start on the kitchen...I'll post before...during...and after pics. :smile:

I love all these ideas! Soft your mirror looks fabulous & Happiness I love your bathroom as well:woot: :flower:

every time this thread gets bumped i am inspired once again...
but then i have to go to work or something and forget all over again for awhile...:doh:...

:lol:...

i bought some new sheets-but they only had king size pillow cases so i got out the sewing machine and made them standard size...
yay!!....
new sheets!!...

:woot:

I put together this little montage for my red room. I found the movie poster when I lived in Indianapolis in a FREE box outside an artists' apartment. At the time, I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but thought the poster was too cool to leave behind. When I was moving from my apartment in Cleveland, I found it again and put this together. I got the frames from thrift stores and spray painted them all blue.

^ thats well cool shoegal :woot:

anyway, some from our house... i helped put the tiles up myself, and painted this shoe cupboard :muscles:

:P

Last summer I took a metal bedstead that had been in the family for at least 50 years, originally white but then painted black for my parents, and when we moved they went up to a queen so I got the double-and painted it "Shocking Orange". That was the actual colour name.

Also I am making a big earring rack to hang on the wall by my vanity with two bars on the bottom for all of my earwire earrings, and a little cup to hold extra backs.

Most of my expertise is limited to the theatric though, when I've done things like make a fence or paint cardboard shingles.

JR1 said:
^ thats well cool shoegal :woot:

anyway, some from our house... i helped put the tiles up myself, and painted this shoe cupboard :muscles:

:P
those tiles are fantabulous!!! are they painted or textured ? wow..

you guys are very lucky to be able to do such thing...my landlord prohibits any "alteration" of the apartment, tho lord knows it would do it good..however, i did install new wood floors in the kitchen...they turned out ok..but the high of knowing that i did it made it 10X better..

Last edited by a moderator:
What to do with old Polaroid packs and those pictures that aren't conventional sized to fit in frames? Recycle them! If you're insane like me and have a lot of Pola prints and Pola cases lying about, you can make your own custom Polaroid frames,for the price of a can of spray paint.

Helpless Polaroid shots:
img2592sa6.jpg

The blessed can of spray paint:
img2593de1.jpg

Now, if you're painting 600 series frames (self ejecting), just spray the thing with light, even coats. Don't just lay the paint on, then you get runs and drips and your tagger friends will embarrass you. Hit a light layer, let dry, hit it again, etc.

NOW, if you have the old pack film shots (660 series, manual pull), I take the film case apart. Spread the bottom metal piece apart gently and it all comes apart. BE VERY CAREFUL with the metal, it can be sharp and cut you up pretty good. Wear gloves. I only take them apart because I'm meticulous when fabricating and I like the contrast of the black metal on the soon-to-be white plastic.

660 case blown apart:
img2595xc3.jpg

Wait a few hours until it's really dry after spraying, then slip your pictures back in. On the 600 case, push the metal spring down and slide it in from the bottom. On the 660's, lay the photo on upside down and piece it back together.

Voila! You now have a custom Pola frame. I paint them white so you still get the illusion of it being a print, just in 3D. You can then stick a magnet on the back and attach them to your fridge, desk, car or whatever.

They end up looking like this:
img2597vy7.jpg

Happy spraying, and don't spray indoors. It fries brain cells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonandluna
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->