Do You Have a Food Allergy/Intolerance?

cocomonkey4

Reaction score
it seems so common that everyone has some of sort special dietary needs/allergies/intolerances nowadays. Recently after getting constant stomach pains and headaches, I discovered I have an intolerance to wheat. Being a vegetarian, this is only making my everyday diet even more difficult.
So does anyone else here also have a food related allergy or intolerance? Is it difficult for you as well?

lol, i'm allergic to a whole lot of food - wheat, gluten, all soy products, dairy (excpet butter--oh yey...), some fruits, nuts, etc.

but i feel sorry for the people who are super allergic to things such as air or have deadly allergies to things like peanut butter.

wheat is pretty common i think. So many products coming out that are wheat free. weird world we live in where products are practically free of most things---except chemicals....

yea, my friend is deathly allergic to almonds. If she even smells almonds, it can trigger a reaction.

I think I have a food allergy/intolerence but I'm not sure what it is. I'm actually thinking about trying an "elimination diet" to narrow it down :(

Anyone ever done this?

Hipkitten said:
I think I have a food allergy/intolerence but I'm not sure what it is. I'm actually thinking about trying an "elimination diet" to narrow it down :(

Anyone ever done this?

I’ve done it. It's best to have a doctor show you how to go about doing the diet properly.

I had to do it because I was breaking out into hives and didn't know why. It is quite annoying because you have to read labels like crazy and look up ingredients that you don't know since many ingredients can have different names. It's a bit of a pain in the butt.

Turns out I'm allergic to citrus and NutraSweet.

I'm lactose intolerant. Anything with milk in it makes my tummy hurt :(

Hipkitten said:

Anyone ever done this?

An allergy involves the immune system, while an intolerance involves the metabolism. This is why a food intolerance can not be determined through a blood test. a very common way people determine a food intolerance is through the elimination diet. I actually had to do that for my wheat intolerance. My doctor recommended that I do it, it is only for two weeks. I just ate mostly vegetables and fruits and rice.

lolalemon said:
I'm lactose intolerant. Anything with milk in it makes my tummy hurt :(

i was like that when i was younger if i ate too much dairy in a day i would get terrible stomach pains:(

its gotten better as i have grown up though but still end up getting stomach pains sometimes....

it made easter a very sad time of year everyone eating all their easter eggs whenever they liked and mine were rationed... i felt so left out:(

cocomonkey4 said:
My doctor recommended that I do it, it is only for two weeks. I just ate mostly vegetables and fruits and rice.

You're lucky. I had to do it for 6 weeks.

Orane said:
I'm allergic to kiwi. Ugh.

Oh no! I eat kiwi all the time. :blush:

I am lucky, I have no food allergies (not that I know of). :flower:

I recently found out I have an intolerance to yeast and sugar, sucks because my favourite things are bread and chocolate!!

Pineapple, seafood, and lactose intolerant, but I can take pills to help with the last one.

I don't have any particular allergic reactions to foods (as far as I know), but every nutrition, my friends always eats an banana&peanutbutter sandwich. It makes me want to throw up a little when I can smell it.

I'm severally allergic to aspartame (nutrasweet, splenda, etc.) and dairy (different than being lactose intolerant).

Like cocomonkey said, allergies involves the immune system, that is why food allergies can make you soooooo sick.

unfortunately, allergic to all things SOY.
i've never met anyone else like that...
makes me feel sooo loooonely.
:cry:

:lol:

what sucks about being allergic to everything soy is that i'd love to be a vegetarian, but there's only so many beans i can eat for protein
& i love the texture/taste of meat, which TVP or other soy products replace
(allergic to gluten too - so gluten-based fake meat is out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->