Does Anyone Collect Isabel Canovas Bags?

BelleIsis

Reaction score
Does anyone else collect these bags? Isabel Canovas is the sister of fabric designer Manuel Canovas. She had accessories shops on Madison Avenue, in Paris and Madrid in the late 80's.

The prices were spectacular even by rah-rah 80's standards, MORE expensive than even Hermes, and the story is that the market crash of '89 forced her to close her retail operations when everyone stopped spending so wildly.

IMO, she designed some of the most extraordinary bags I've ever seen.

I'll post some photos as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Originally posted by BelleIsis@Sep 5 2004, 12:17 AM
Does anyone else collect these bags?  Isabel Canovas is the sister of fabric designer Manuel Canovas.  She had accessories shops on Madison Avenue, in Paris and Madrid in the late 80's.

The prices were spectacular even by rah-rah 80's standards, MORE expensive than even Hermes,  and the story is that the market crash of '89 forced her to close her retail operations when everyone stopped spending so wildly.

IMO, she designed some of the most extraordinary bags I've ever seen. 

I'll post some photos as soon as I figure out how to do it.
[snapback]356783[/snapback]​
[attachmentid=25385]

All of the embroidery of the clown and the harlequin on the reverse is done by hand. These are wonderful collectors items if you can find them.

Attachments

• isabel.jpg
    isabel.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 61
  • clown.jpg
    clown.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 48
i always liked manuel canovas...isabel canovas doesn't do it for me...

Originally posted by softgrey@Sep 8 2004, 07:32 PM
i always liked manuel canovas...isabel canovas doesn't do it for me...
[snapback]359922[/snapback]​

I know what you mean, as I find most of the guccidiormjlouisvuittonhobosackylookinghardware covered bags tacky and HIDEOUS.

What a diverse world we live in. I myself find that a clown on my bag would be tacky.

Originally posted by luna@Sep 9 2004, 05:36 PM
What a diverse world we live in.  I myself find that a clown on my bag would be tacky.
[snapback]361220[/snapback]​

You YOURSELF??

Whatever.

:innocent:

Originally posted by BelleIsis@Sep 11 2004, 09:56 AM
You YOURSELF??

Whatever.
:innocent:
[snapback]363474[/snapback]​

Yes... You read it correctly.

Rawwrrr, honey. Retract those claws.

I wasn't insulting you. Just saying everyone has different tastes..

Christ. Someone's sensitive about clown bags.

Personally I couldn't imagine myself carrying one around. For one thing, I don't really like clowns that much. It seems like they're bags you might find in a toy store for little girls? But that's just my opinion, and I'm sure that perhaps the pictures just don't do them justice?

Originally posted by Miss Zara@Sep 13 2004, 01:01 PM
Personally I couldn't imagine myself carrying one around. For one thing, I don't really like clowns that much. It seems like they're bags you might find in a toy store for little girls? But that's just my opinion, and I'm sure that perhaps the pictures just don't do them justice?
[snapback]365826[/snapback]​

Miss Zara,

I won't try to convince you of their worth, but the bags must be seen in person to be fully appreciated. They are completely hand made and lined in the most beautiful bright pink silk grosgrain. The gold suede bag with the harlequin and clown retailed for over 5K in the 1980's-- uh, not exactly a kiddie's bag.

Isabel Canovas' accessories were highly sought after in their era. And, to be SURE, they are not at ALL like the bags of today. I don't even look at them that way. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Anyway, one has to see a larger body of her work to know what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by BelleIsis@Sep 14 2004, 12:30 PM
Miss Zara,

I won't try to convince you of their worth, but the bags must be seen in person to be fully appreciated. They are completely hand made and lined in the most beautiful bright pink silk grosgrain. The gold suede bag with the harlequin and clown retailed for over 5K in the 1980's-- uh, not exactly a kiddie's bag.

Isabel Canovas' accessories were highly sought after in their era. And, to be SURE, they are not at ALL like the bags of today. I don't even look at them that way. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Anyway, one has to see a larger body of her work to know what I'm talking about.
[snapback]367010[/snapback]​

Okayyy... I did say that I'm sure the photos don't do the bags justice. I wasn't trying to insult anybody! They just really do remind me of some little bags I had when I was younger, that's the only comment I was making.

Originally posted by Miss Zara@Sep 15 2004, 04:48 AM
Okayyy... I did say that I'm sure the photos don't do the bags justice. I wasn't trying to insult anybody! They just really do remind me of some little bags I had when I was younger, that's the only comment I was making.
[snapback]367780[/snapback]​

I didn't take it as an insult. I didn't make the bags and I'm secure enough in my choices.

My point is that even a thing as ephemeral as fashion has a context.

And, while a lot of people might find the Hope Diamond tacky, you'd have to admit, it's HIGHLY collectible!

:P

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Sep 15 2004, 04:06 PM
I don't like them and I'm sure all of the clownaphobes of the world agree. :smile:
[snapback]368403[/snapback]​

:lol:

Yes... Clowns frighten me... along with mannequins and dancing monkeys.

Those bags highly remind me of Henri Cuir bags.

Of course Henri Cuir is quite expensive as well. Henri Beguilin I believe. Barney's has them.

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Sep 15 2004, 05:06 PM
I don't like them and I'm sure all of the clownaphobes of the world agree. :smile:
[snapback]368403[/snapback]​
agreed :ninja:

What a diverse world we live in. I myself find that a clown on my bag would be tacky.

Yes, my highly collectible Isabel Canovas harlequin/clown embroidered bag looks SOOOO tacky sitting next to my Hermes, Chanel and Anya Hindmarch bespoke bags. Shame on me There is just no accounting for some people's taste. Though unlike some, I have never been a bag snob.

Yes, my highly collectible Isabel Canovas harlequin/clown embroidered bag looks SOOOO tacky sitting next to my Hermes, Chanel and Anya Hindmarch bespoke bags. Shame on me There is just no accounting for some people's taste. Though unlike some, I have never been a bag snob.

Err...these posts are like 17 years old, I am sure that's not so much the case in 2021...

Err...these posts are like 17 years old, I am sure that's not so much the case in 2021...

I am the OP, previously "Jonquil." I forgot my original user name. Yep, back after 17 years-to vindicate myself and my supposed tacky, bad taste.

It's fun, it's my prerogative, and apparently, someone out there is still following the thread. ;-)

Last edited:
I am the OP. I forgot my original user name. Yep, back after 17 years-to vindicate myself.
It's my prerogative. And apparently, someone is still following the thread. ;-)
HAHA Touché @jonquil (and welcome back :flower:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->