Does Rodarte actually exist? The vaporous business plan of a fashion industry darling

Thanks for the article, dodencebt.

I’m convinced by now that Rodarte has no desire, motivation, nor the ambition (whether for artistic creds, or for financial expansion) to sell their more complicated, intricate creations that make up their shows to any willing customer. The showpieces, either by way of the interweb or by way of celebrity-endorsement power, are their best and strongest PR to sell the basics, accessories and shoes. And maybe that’s the main interests of their wearers anyways, so why even make the huge effort to invest in the production of the more risky pieces…? I just think Rodarte may have crunched the numbers, and realized that their best direction is to create this rarified branding in terms of imagery, and profit by selling basics, accessories and shoes. (and maybe they’d rather archive their samples rather than even sell them off…?)

You know, they’re one of those labels that I don’t mind at all; The gaudiness is oddly attractive, and even beautiful when photographed and placed in the context of a fashion story, actually… Worn by women in real life, I’m not too convinced…. If they were to close shop and never design again, I wouldn’t miss them at all. I don’t think they are remotely as important as they’re being written up to be by some people. There will always be labels for fashion victims to take their spot if/when they’re gone.

God I wish I hadn't tried to read that without coffee, first of all drop the "I think..".. not an academic paper but it's an interview, voice your thoughts, it's obvious that they're yours.. "I think for me".. kill me now.

She didn't say anything.. so citytheydesignin to give this seemingly eloquent description that sounds cool and forward and a bit later you're like "wait, what did she actually say?". :lol:

I think that’s why our T-shirts have always done so well, and why people really respond to it: It came from a cool concept, it was conceptual, it was based in the idea that we grew up in Northern California, in Santa Cruz which is the home of skateboarding, and I think that we just always grew up in hoodies ourselves. As we say in California, you don’t really wear jackets that much. You either wear sweaters or you wear a sweatshirt. I think [the Radarte hoodies] came from a vernacular that would always be a part of what we do, but it also gives an offering of something that’s more direct and quick to thought because that’s how people use that type of clothing in their life.
Almost threw up. Can one be this delusional and contrived? It's bloody sweatshirts and tees, basic ones too, sorry if I miss how "conceptual" they are. You must live in your own world if you believe their success has to do with the "vernacular" they came from. They are popular because they are unintimidating overpriced graphic basics sold in a "cool" store and worn by celebrities. No one is picking up the Radarte pieces thinking about how conceptual or Californian they are. When asked about Radarte, they should just cut the sh*t and say "Thank you celebrities for making these cool."

Last edited by a moderator:
^ She definitely has a precious way of talking about the brand ... sounds like she's had a lot of practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screenstarmakeup
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->