Canada: Linda Evangelista
Estonia: Carmen Kass
Germany: Claudia Schiffer
Great Britain: Kate Moss
Mexico: Elsa Benitez
Netherlands: Doutzen Kroes
Russia: Natalia Vodianova
United States: Cindy Crawford

i dont live in australia but im pretty sure that mirranda kerr is the most famous australian model. she is a million times more famous than gemma.

Don't think I've seen Korea mentioned yet, anyone from SK who can give some insight?
I think Han Jin and Hye Park are pretty popular there... as well as internationally.
Hyoni Kang seems fairly well-known too...

Hye and Han Jin are definitely well known, Hyoni is too because of her TV show series she had for some time. I think Daul Kim is known mainly because of her tragic death rather than her career.

Don't think I've seen Korea mentioned yet, anyone from SK who can give some insight?

It's just absolutely not a model culture but an idol culture.
So they have "models" (girls on front covers, wearing fashion clothes...) but they are mostly idols. Not many HF models, and the few HF models you have are foreigner models.

For the 2 countries I know best:
- France: I would say none now but people would probably say Laetitia Casta (Sorry Constance...)
- Japan - Bit like Korea, more idols than HF here. But I would say Ai Tominaga is the most famous HF model by far.

It's just absolutely not a model culture but an idol culture.
So they have "models" (girls on front covers, wearing fashion clothes...) but they are mostly idols. Not many HF models, and the few HF models you have are foreigner models.

For the 2 countries I know best:
- France: I would say none now but people would probably say Laetitia Casta (Sorry Constance...)
- Japan - Bit like Korea, more idols than HF here. But I would say Ai Tominaga is the most famous HF model by far.

yeah, that's true. I've noticed that a lot. It's a good thing that many of the idols are pretty great at modeling though, i.e. Ahn Sohee from Wondergirls.

Argentina- Romina Lanaro or Milgaros Schmoll
Peru - Definitely Juana Burga, shes always in the news there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spain - Alejandra Alonso

toomuchtrends.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
China- Liu Wen

what about Du Juan?

I don't think so. Neither Liu Wen or Du Juan even come close to being China's most famous model in China. Ask people on the street who they are and 99 out of 100 would go "Who?"

If you go by "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List", it would be:

Fan Bingbing (mainly an actress but she has also walked the Paris runway)

Mi Yang (actress & model)

Lin Chi-ling (model with numerous TV appearances)

These are the household names.

The ones on the models.com Top 50 list? I'm sorry to say they are not famous in the country at all.

^ Which is funny because if you ask anyone here who any of those women are, the response would be the same. The only one I recognize is Fan Bingbing :lol:

who is more famous in Czech? Karolina Kurkova or Eva Herzigova?

I would say Eva Herzigova ^_^ at least I know a lot of Czech people who are not interested in fashion and they know Eva, but they have never heard about Karolina

I don't think so. Neither Liu Wen or Du Juan even come close to being China's most famous model in China. Ask people on the street who they are and 99 out of 100 would go "Who?"

If you go by "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List", it would be:

Fan Bingbing (mainly an actress but she has also walked the Paris runway)

Mi Yang (actress & model)

Lin Chi-ling (model with numerous TV appearances)

These are the household names.

The ones on the models.com Top 50 list? I'm sorry to say they are not famous in the country at all.

Most high fashion or even commercial models aren't that famous in their countries (especially compared to movie stars) so that's why we can only talk about most famous.

I would definitely not classify Fan Bingbing as a model. That's like saying Madonna is a model because she has done modeling.
Yang Mi is absolutely not considered a model either.
Lin Chi-ling is from Taiwan, not China. Even if she was from China, I wouldn't say she's well-known outside of China/Taiwan, but I guess that's arguable. Also, she's more of an actress now.

I'd say Liu Wen is probably China's most famous model at the moment. It would have been Du Juan some years ago but she doesn't really work that much anymore, does she? Don't take my word for it, though, since I don't live in China.

Serbia: Natasa Vojnovic and Georgina Stojiljkovic.

Agree: Fan Bingbing and Yang Mi are definitely not fashion models. Not in the same sense as Liu Wen, Du Juan and Sun Feifei in terms of catwalk, fashion editorial and campaign.

Lin Chi-ling is more Christie Brinkley than Christy Turlington. She's more well-known as a showbiz personality than a model working in high fashion. Last time I checked, she hasn't walked a show in Paris, London, New York or Milan fashion week.

And the street test is certainly not the benchmark. Other than the 90's supers, it's very rare for a fashion model to become a household name without venturing into showbiz. To most people on the street, Uma Thurman's day job is an actress, not a model. But her LV ad campaign is one of the best! :smile:

Most high fashion or even commercial models aren't that famous in their countries (especially compared to movie stars) so that's why we can only talk about most famous.

I would definitely not classify Fan Bingbing as a model. That's like saying Madonna is a model because she has done modeling.
Yang Mi is absolutely not considered a model either.
Lin Chi-ling is from Taiwan, not China. Even if she was from China, I wouldn't say she's well-known outside of China/Taiwan, but I guess that's arguable. Also, she's more of an actress now.

I'd say Liu Wen is probably China's most famous model at the moment. It would have been Du Juan some years ago but she doesn't really work that much anymore, does she? Don't take my word for it, though, since I don't live in China.

I would say for...

Argentina: Valeria Mazza (way over Romina Lanaro or Milagros Schmoll)

Chile: No big face over time, but at the moment Lieve Dannau.

i dont live in australia but im pretty sure that mirranda kerr is the most famous australian model. she is a million times more famous than gemma.

I agree with you about Miranda being more famous than Gemma. But Elle Macpherson is the most famous of all Australian models. Everyone knows her.

I agree with you about Miranda being more famous than Gemma. But Elle Macpherson is the most famous of all Australian models. Everyone knows her.

I live in Australia and I agree with this.
Elle is Number 1. When you say 'Elle' they don't think of the magazine.
Gemma is not really 'famous' outside the fashion world except for Heath (and her measurements) and even then they always say 'model'. No one could name anything she has done while non-fashion people know Miranda with VS & David Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
violette28
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->