eel skin handbags

aspen

Reaction score
I was looking on ebay and came across some eel skin handbags. Most said vintage. Are they something that was popular years ago? I think they would be very nice as an evening bag. They aren't expensive either.

Does anyone have one? What do you think of them?

i've spotted those on ebay too, but honestly i think the EEL skin is too much for me. not a fans :P

I think it was an 80's thing possibly? This thread has reminded me that my mom has an eel skin bag that would now be vintage. Honestly, I loved it when I was little and I still love it now. The leather is beautiful, not overly shiny and also very thin so it has quite a cool feel to it. I would definately wear it today. :heart:

sounds interesting, could you post some pics?

Here are a few pics. The most expensive I've saw was Dolce & Gabbana $1875. Most of them on ebay are around $15.00 slightly used or $30 for new. I found one website that has them for $75-250 new. I like some of the colors of the leather. A unique looking bag.

dolce_and_gabbana_eelskin_satchel.jpg
purseblog.com
ebay.comebay.com
ebay.comebay.comebay.com

that teal coloured one is almost identical to my mum's except her's is a lot more delicate. I really also enjoy the sort of 'pulling' effect that happens with this skin.

I have been looking for an eel skin handbag for the longest time.
I know I want it to be vintage- I love what happens to the skin as it ages, but I haven't found my "ideal" one yet!

my dad has very dark eel cowboy boots that are to die for. he's easily had them for 20 years and they have yet to peel or crackle, which is odd. i want to say they're luchesse.

hmmmm, i always thought it would be scaley, you know, but it looks smooth. odd

meg is right---this was definitely an 80's thing...
very popular...
not so much for bags...but wallets mostly....for men and women..

love the pics and although I don't own any eel skin I believe it is very nice to touch

I have an eel skin wallet that I found at a garage sale very cheap. But no matter what I use on it, the price sticker wont go away. :angry:

My mother actually told me that eel skin will demagnetize credit cards. She said eel skin predates them. But now I wonder if that's true. :blink:

no it's not true. I don't know how any skin could demagnatize a credit card. But my mother has carried cc's in her purse and it has been fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brky1907
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->