Esperanza Spalding

ALT’s Day with Esperanza Spalding
by André Leon Talley
9NPnc.jpg

“This level of creativity and craftsmanship—it has to be a very lonely life. What happened?” asked Esperanza Spalding. The Best New Artist Grammy winner had taken the subway on a recent Monday to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to view “Savage Beauty,” the exceptional show honoring and showcasing the legacy of Alexander McQueen, who died at the age of 40 last year. Spalding had been scheduled to hit the Met Gala red carpet the previous week, but had a commitment she couldn’t break (opening for Prince in Inglewood, California). Wearing a fitted mudcloth-print coat made by a Malian tailor in Cape Town, she was happy to walk the empty galleries of the museum (usually closed on Mondays) for a special visit. “It’s wonderful, wonderful,” she said. Spalding is a captivating presence, a 26-year-old woman short on extraneous words but long on impeccable manners. When she received the exhibition catalog, she tore off the plastic wrap and began reviewing the pieces she admired—the balsa-wood winged skirt, the armadillo boots, the exquisite tailoring. McQueen would have loved the one thing she said, over and over again, about his fierce creativity: “My eyes were shipwrecked.”

At age five, the jazz performer saw Yo-Yo Ma on television and asked her mother to buy her a violin. “I recently met him at the Kennedy Center and told him he is responsible for opening my world. When I was growing up, we couldn’t afford expensive lessons, so I took advantage of a lot of free music lessons,” she told me. The Portland, Oregon native later earned a scholarship to the Berklee College of Music in Boston; she starts recording her fourth album, Radio Music Society, this summer.
vogue.com

From the Met, we drove down to Sikkema Jenkins & Co., to take in Kara Walker’s new show. Also usually closed on Mondays, the gallery had opened its doors so Spalding could view such pieces as Cancelled (“Potent. This is potent.”) She walked through it wordlessly except for the occasional acknowledgment of the exhibition’s wow factor. “Somebody has to do work like this!” she exuded. Afterward, over tea and macaroons at Benoit, she summed up her impressions: “It’s almost like you can’t breathe when you first look at her work, but I want to meet this lady. I want to know her.”

On the drive over, Spalding had talked about her aesthetic for performance dressing. When the subject of Marlene Dietrich popped up, I told her she had to watch Dietrich in Shanghai Express. I told her I thought Mimi Plange would be perfect to design a tailored smoking jacket to go with her harem pants for Spalding, and Plange rushed out of her yoga class to show us her designs on her iPad.

Spalding tends to think of wardobe last minute: She performs at Town Hall in New York this Saturday, May 21.
vogue.com

W MAGAZINE - JUNE 2011
ESPERANZA SPALDING & FRANCISCO COSTA
ByQ3u.jpg

Spalding, the 26-year-old American jazz bassist and singer who outraged Justin Bieber fans by winning the best new artist award at this year’s Grammys, puts an outfit together much the way she does her music. “I make little compositions,” she explains. Lately her look has assumed what she describes as a “quirky, pseudo-intellectual” vibe, pieced together with fitted jackets and ties accessorized with a wild afro. But she can just as easily swing in an elegantly minimalist direction, and it is that element of spontaneity, mixed with soulfulness, that has made a fan of Calvin Klein’s Costa. “I admire her passion and confidence— she is truly a free spirit,” he says. Her ability to speak Costa’s native tongue has only added to his affection: “My favorite part of the shoot was singing together in Portuguese.”
Photographs by Max Vadukul
By Karin Nelson

Spalding wears Calvin Klein’s cashmere and silk dress. Jennifer Fisher cuff, Calvin Klein shoes. costa wears his own clothes. Styled by Kathryn Typaldos; Hair by Hung Vanngo and makeup by Keith Carpenter, both at the Wall Group.
wmagazine.com

Instyle Russia June 2011

edit: The Only Jazz Lady
ph: David Vasiljevic
style: Kate Sebbah
model: Esperanza Spolding
via Mirik @tFS

Last edited by a moderator:
Baby’s Got Bass
AFju7.jpg

Photograph by Alice O’Malley. Styled by Susan Winget. Fashion assistants: Tasha Cain and Jessica Dell. Hair by Chuck Amos for Bumble and Bumble at Jump. Makeup by Asami Taguchi at L’Atelier NYC.
RHAPSODY IN PINK — The jazz virtuoso, who thinks nothing of crisscrossing musical styles, in a Valentino dress, $5,500, and shoes, $745. Call (212) 772-6969. Dior Fine Jewelry earrings, $3,700. Call (800) 929-3467.
tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com

sy2ZU.jpg

OTE WORTHY — Spalding grew up in Portland, Ore., the daughter of a single mother who was also a music lover. Oscar de la Renta dress, $13,990. At Bergdorf Goodman. Call (800) 558-1855. KC Designs earrings, $10,000. AtFragments. Call (212) 334-9588. Jimmy Choo shoes, $795. Call (866) 524-6687.
tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->