fashion drawing classes

rockitgirl

Reaction score
For those of you here who have gone to fashion design programs what was your level of artistic ability when you got in and did it improve with the classes you had there? I am trying really hard but drawing is NOT my strong point at all, the drawing never comes out the way it looks in my head. The course I am applying for says to submit samples of illustrations of everyday objects, not specifically fashion so I know I am good enough in that respect to get in but with fashion, so far on my own, I just can't get it. I am hoping that I will hear good news for you about how the classes you took in school helped because I don't think I can be a successful designer working for clients if I can't get my ideas down onto paper better than I can now.

Personally I started drawing fashion illustrations when I was really young, then about 2 years ago I used fashion illustration templates, from that I discovered what kind of style I liked, and found I suited, and now I can just draw my own, however I do file alot of traces of my own fashion illustrations (i.e the bodyshapes) so I can just re-apply them to other designs I do, but in the knowledge they are mine. Find some fashion illustrations on the internet/in books that you like and draw from those initially until you develop your own style. I've never had any lessons in fashion illustration, but may well do next year, there's always more to learn, usually with help you can see your faults. I think it helped that I had art classes, as I learned how to analyse my own work and see where things were going wrong rather than just knowing they didn't look good. :flower:

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19231

This is the tfs fashion illustration thread...illustrations by our members here. Use it for inspiration and asking for advice...there's alot of really great drawers, who use their illustrations both professionally and non-proffessionally. there is also a thread you could search called 'sketchy behaviour' with general fashion illustrations people like, it's really inspiring. :flower:

thanks, I'm going to look through those threads and get some ideas for improving my own. :smile:

you can always get a book of fashion illustrations and practice on your own...

The more you practice the better you will get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->