Fashion Marketing

Alura

Reaction score
Academic Sources on Fashion Marketing/Advertising

I didn't know where to put this so I put it here, in case it isn't correct the moderators will find the appropriate place for questions like this :smile:.

I'm looking for good academic sources, e.d. writers/books, on the phenomena of fashion advertising, positioning etc. Does anyone have good tips? Thanks a lot! :flower:

I'd certainly like to know as well since fashion marketing is what I want to do with my life when I've finished college! So *bump*

pink_lily002 said:
I'd certainly like to know as well since fashion marketing is what I want to do with my life when I've finished college! So *bump*

ME TOO! So cool that someone started this topic ... :flower:

You're welcome! I really enjoyed the book and highly recommend it to anyone interested in fashion!

I am interested in this as well. Very good thread started. criticsdarling, thanks for the link its very helpful. I heard of the book The End of Fashion. I am going to try to get it.

i have found only a few MA fashion marketing courses provided in Uk universities, they are LCF, Glasgow Caledonia, macheser, and machester metropolitan. dose there anyone know more about it? and except LCF, which is better?? many thanx~~~:P

Someone i know does this at manchester, i'll aks her what she thinks of it.

i can remember her saying its a lot like business studies

I hope you guys can help me out with this ... I'd like to pursue a masters degree in fashion marketing somewhere in Europe and I'm considering these three programmes:

http://www.istitutomarangoni.com/marangoni_master_29a.htm

http://www.ied.it/Ied/eng/prog-fashiondesign/fashiondesign/master-asp/barcelona/fashionmarkcomm/intro.html

http://www.sdabocconi.it/master/mafed/en/

I'd like to live and work in Barcelona, so I was leaning more towards IED (which has classes also in Barcelona); Marangoni actually gives you a jump start, as it has great busness connections; Bocconi has the best programme in my opinion ...

So what do you guys think?

^ I have a friend who will be attending Polimoda this year - their program is reputed to be comprehensive very good, have you considered it?: http://www.polimoda.com/

Yes, I've checked out this program also ... Although it doesn't look half bad, the school doesn't seem to recognised though?

I'd really appreciate any information from professionals who work in the business ... What are the career opportunities? ... Anything really ...

Thanks, droogist :flower:

I hope to do fashion marketing as well. I am from Spain, and I want to work there, too! What a coincidence.
I really do not think the program at my current university is that good, so I'm starting to think I should transfer back to NYC. I miss my city!

Sorry, I was replying to SignoraFab. :smile:

Im going to university next year and love fashion but was scared to go into fashion marketing because it seemed dead end? I applied to marketing like the regualr marketing programs at uni..if i wanted a job in fashion after would it be hard to get? WHAT SHOULD I DO AHH!

there are so many interesting articles on fashion Marketing, thought of creating a thread so i could share with you guys..

here from wwd of today
Catch the Millennials (If You Can)
By Valerie Seckler

In a world where teens and twentysomethings increasingly are in control of their media choices, and partake of them while on the move, fashion marketers face more complex decisions about how best to connect with the age group that spends the most on apparel. Those clothing purchases amount to about $40 billion annually among the Millennial generation's 11- to 28-year-olds, according to NPD Fashionworld.

Further, as rapidly emerging media become more popular, fashion players, particularly those brands targeting Millennials, could devote more of their marketing budgets to emerging media. These media include:
  • TV programs, music videos and fashion shows that can be downloaded to computers, video-enabled iPods or portable video game players. New services such as Yahoo Go, most of which is slated to roll out by the end of the first quarter, will enable sharing of digital content across such devices.
  • Real-time marketing messages obtained from electronic billboards by pointing a mobile phone at those ads to prompt responses.
  • Short segments of TV programs, Web content, commercials and music that can be listened to or viewed on video-enabled mobile phones. For instance, Verizon has plans to launch V Cast Music on Monday, a service that will facilitate music downloads to the mobile phones of as many as 30 million of its subscribers.
"The key is to reach teens and young adults in as many places as possible," advised Amanda Freeman, vice president at trend forecaster The Intelligence Group. "High-fashion designers aren't doing this yet; there's a sense they're above it," Freeman continued. "But these are savvy consumers who need to be reached. It's sort of taking Lucky to the next level."

Fashion minds may change as new technologies increasingly free up youths and young adults to dip into media of their choosing at any time and in almost any setting, whether for the purpose of entertainment, information or making social connections. "Younger consumers tend to be early [users] of new media, and content providers are using those media for distribution of their content," said Brad Adgate, a senior vice president and director of research at media buyer Horizon Media. "There are probably fewer than one million video-enhanced mobile phones, but the content is there, and companies are racing things out."

For example, The MobiTV network ("Live television. Anywhere. Anytime.") is offering programming from 38 TV channels, including Fashion TV, Extreme Sports Mobile, Comedy Time, NBC Mobile, ABC News, ESPN 3G TV and The Shopping Network. As the Millennials move into their own homes, observed Erin Hunter, senior vice president of media and entertainment at comScore Networks, "they are likely to have one phone — and it's likely to be a cell phone."

A mobile phone that provides a camera, music and video, Hunter projected, "soon will become the expectation of the [Millennial] crowd."

There has already been significant demand from teens and twentysomethings, among others, to view replays of TV programs online, via broadband video feeds. MTV Overdrive, launched in April, claimed 11 million downloads of its Video Music Awards within two weeks of its initial air date, although the show's TV ratings were down 22 percent versus 2004, Adgate pointed out. ABC had about three million viewers of its two-hour edited version of Bob Geldof's Live 8 concert, while AOL had about five million viewers of its live, uninterrupted broadband videocast of the event in July. Within two weeks after the Live 8 concert, AOL reported another 3.5 million people had accessed the program.

The Video Music Awards Webcast, available online for one month, offered such extras as celebrity arrivals, parties and interviews. Initial advertisers on MTV Overdrive have included The Gap, Procter & Gamble, Sony Pictures and Microsoft, according to "Media on Demand," a report by Adgate published in November.

Just over half, or 51 percent, of on-demand Internet video users are ages 12 to 34, with the heaviest representation coming from 25- to 34-year-olds, who account for 24 percent of the group, based on data from Arbitron and Edison Media Research, as cited in Adgate's report. (The only age cohort with a greater share of users was 35- to 44-year-olds, among whom 25 percent were Internet video users.) People ages 12 to 17 represented 14 percent of the Internet on-demand viewers, while 18- to 24-year-olds constituted 13 percent.

Overall, 14 percent of the U.S. population, or roughly 41 million people, are on-demand users of Internet video, compared with 10 percent, or about 30 million, who are video-on-demand TV users, and 6 percent, or around 18 million, who use personal video recording devices. By 2010, virtually all of the projected 46.9 million digital cable households are expected to be video-on-demand enabled, a nearly fourfold increase from the 12.5 million with that capability in 2003.
Besides facing the challenge of engaging youths and young adults, who typically view between three and eight screen-based media daily, marketers will need to develop more sophisticated commercial content to hold the group's interest.

One early effort in this regard was made last February by Reebok, which shot five hours of Philadelphia 76ers star Allen Iverson talking about life while shooting pool. Besides 30- and 60-second commercials, Reebok assembled a broadband video commercial in the form of a "mini documentary," Adgate noted, which ran for about 90 seconds. The long-form commercial, available on demand to subscribers to Comcast interactive services in Philadelphia, was a trial run for the RBK brand's "Def on Demand," a video-on-demand program launched nationwide on Nov. 11.

"Def on Demand," an hour-long on-demand program whose content will be changed monthly, was conceived to give consumers "more and longer opportunities to interact with our brand," said Mark Fireman, director of advertising and interactive marketing at Reebok. Thirty-second TV commercials are being aired by Reebok to tell viewers about the brand's on-demand, urban and hip-hop programming, which has also included interviews with Jay-Z and 50 Cent.

Another attempt is on tap from American Apparel. Starting early this year, the retailer plans to announce various items are going on sale in real time, by sending text messages to the mobile phones of shoppers in its stores, said Mathew Swenson, senior fashion media adviser at American Apparel. The fashion brand is also considering highlighting items as they go on sale in real time at its American Apparel Web site.

Digital devices from electronic billboards to shoppers' mobile phones are expected to be used by marketers in a number of other ways to reach people in real time, including offers of digital coupons and announcements of special events. For instance, in December, Time magazine snapped digital photos of passersby in Times Square and relayed those images to a nearby billboard to highlight its "Person of the Year" issue.

Interactive marketing plays such as those created by Reebok and American Apparel can be viral, enabling users to pass them along to friends and family, and can give viewers a chance to register their opinions, while providing marketers with an opportunity to glean information about those people. In one such scenario, marketers can track viewers' searches for on-demand programs, either online or via set-top digital TV boxes, in order to develop profiles of their audiences' tastes, much as Amazon has tracked its users' book purchases so it can recommend titles of likely interest to repeat shoppers.

Fashion Marketing studies

I am 17 and would like to pursue a career in fashion marketing, so after school i'll be going to NIFT in india, the only good and reputable fashion institute in the country, can't afford anything in Europe or the US yet. The only problem is tht NIFT doesn't offer any degrees or courses in fashion marketing, all it has is fashion design, fashion technology and fashion journalism. So i thought i'd do a 4 year degree in design and then go to Europe or the states for a masters in fashion marketing.
Is this the best way for me to do fashion marketing? or should i just do normal marketing for graduate and then do fashion marketing as my masters?
also what's the career like? is it extremely competitive? are there any prospects?
I would appreciate any help, i'm pretty lost and there's no one around who can help me

It's a lovely institute, I totally agree with u, if u enjoy design as well

If you really want to do fashion marketing -- then I do NOT recommend that you do a 4 year degree in fashion design. Here's why -- you'd be wasting an inordinate amount of time, energy, and money on supplies doing something that is very different from the skills you need for marketing.

Having said that, I do believe that a fashion design certificate program or associates degree program could give you important insight into the design and garment construction process which could benefit your fashion marketing career.

I would recommend a general business marketing program to you, then maybe you could come to the U.S. and do an associates degree program in fashion marketing -- which would be cheaper than the masters degree...and very productive. But for fashion marketing you do not need 4 years of garment design and construction...a great deal of hard work and lack of sleep for something that doesnt benefit you directly.

I agree with marrimoda. Quite a few people who are in fashion marketing don't even have a 'fashion marketing' degree, instead just an ordinary Business or Commerce degree with a major in marketing, or a Marketing degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->