Film Critic Roger Ebert Dies at 70

ad041715

Reaction score
Roger Ebert, renowned film critic, dies at age 70
By Alan Duke

The last hand in the "two thumbs up" film critic team, Roger Ebert, died Thursday, two days after revealing cancer returned to his body.
Ebert and Gene Siskel co-hosted their iconic review show until Siskel's death in 1999 after a battle with a brain tumor.
Report: Film critic Roger Ebert has died
Photos: People we lost in 2013
The Chicago Sun-Times, the base of operations for Ebert's syndicated reviews, announced his death at age 70.
In an essay on his blog Tuesday, Ebert explained he was planning to slow down and reduce the number of movie reviews he wrote. Ebert had already lost his voice and much of his jaw after battling thyroid and salivary gland cancer.
"My intent is to continue to write selected reviews but to leave the rest to a talented team of writers handpicked and greatly admired by me," Ebert wrote. "What's more, I'll be able at last to do what I've always fantasized about doing: reviewing only the movies I want to review."
Ebert suffered a hip fracture in December, and it recently led to the revelations about cancer, he said.
CNN

This is very sad. I grew up watching Ebert & Roeper and he was just about the only film critic whose commentary I'd seek. His statement on Tuesday (which he ended with "I'll see you at the movies") sounded as if he knew he wouldn't make it. R.I.P. Ebert.

WHAT?!! Oh no! That's so sad. Such a huge lost to the entertainment world. I truly hope he rests in peace. He will be missed. :(

I herd about Roger Ebert's passing earlier today, it's just so sad. Truly one of the best, his film critiques were always on point. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

If anyone is interested in reading a round up of some of Ebert's best movie reviews, this website already has excerpts from them listed. Reading them truly showed how fantastic he was at his job, he really did tell it like it is, and illuminated just how special going to the movies could be.
http://jezebel.com/5993693/roger-eberts-twenty-best-reviews

My favorite one just might be this...

"Valentine's Day is being marketed as a Date Movie. I think it's more of a First-Date Movie. If your date likes it, do not date that person again. And if you like it, there may not be a second date."
:rofl:

Not only was he a wonderful film critic, he was a brilliant writer in general. I will miss his thoughts (on everything), so much.

:cry::cry::cry:

End of an era. I remember all these Sunday afternoons watching his reviews. The other guy always trying to catch up or come up with arguments but no one as smart and sharp as Roger. In a way it's good he can finally rest after all the complications of the past years. He's going to be very missed. :heart:

Such a sad day. :( As a film buff and aspiring writer, I always looked up to Ebert. Even when I disagreed with him, more often than not, he got it right. I also liked that he was not as pretentious as some other critics; he always judged a film on its own ground. Besides, there's no denying the man had great taste. When he was right, he was right.

No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough. —Roger Ebert

I miss him already.

This is terrible, just the worst. It's not fair that a man like him had to go through the ilnesses he did. He was always such a positive person, no horrible scandals; it's practically unheard of today. Just an all around loved person with such an amazing legacy. A person who inspired so many and changed so much.

I am a huge fangirl of Roger Ebert's. :cry: I will always love his writing and reviews. He got it right a lot, as others have said, but the thing that always shone through in his work for me is that he truly LOVED it. :heart: The man just loved his job, he loved cinema, and even when he didn't like a film or didn't review it positively, one could still tell, none the less, that he loved movies - full stop. He loved the art.

I have his reviews in book form; it's such a nice thing to have around. I often flip through that book and Pauline Kael's reviews when I want to rewatch an oldie and I am not sure what.

I'll miss Ebert so much. I grew up watching Ebert and Siskel in the balcony, too, debating whether or not a film was 2 thumbs up, a split, or 2 thumbs down. Roger was most often the one with whom I agreed then, and that continued throughout the rest of his career.

Not too long ago, Ebert did a one on one interview with Tilda Swinton, another person whom I admire to no end. Below is the link for that, for anyone who is interested. :flower:

R.I.P. dear Roger Ebert - 1,000,000, 000 (and beyond) thumbs up to you from me! :cry:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/09/the_world_according_to_saint_t.html

This is so sad, I always trusted his opinion.. RIP :(

A wonderful story from Buzzfeed about his marriage. :heart:

"I didn't know her, but I'd seen her before and was attracted. I liked her looks, her voluptuous figure, and the way she presented herself. She took a lot of care with her appearance and her clothes never looked quickly thrown together. She seemed to be holding the attention of her table. You never get anywhere with a woman you can't talk intelligently with."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/roger-and-chaz-eberts-beautiful-marriage-in-his-words

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->