From Radical To Mainstream

Originally posted by banana+Jun 10th, 2004 - 6:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (banana @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 6:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 10th, 2004 - 11:37 am

commercially viable...yes...
but they are still indie designers...albeit successful ones...one does not necessarily lose their credibility when one achieves profitability...on the contrary...it should encourage other young deigners that it is indeed possible...

:flower:
Though I'm sure there will always be that clique of consumers that would only wear something unknown or unpopular to avoid looking too mainstream. It's like those music elitsts who say: "yeah I used to like that band before everyone else started listening to them". [/b][/quote]
so quick to judge...

Originally posted by banana+Jun 10th, 2004 - 4:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (banana @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 4:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 10th, 2004 - 11:37 am

commercially viable...yes...
but they are still indie designers...albeit successful ones...one does not necessarily lose their credibility when one achieves profitability...on the contrary...it should encourage other young deigners that it is indeed possible...

:flower:
Though I'm sure there will always be that clique of consumers that would only wear something unknown or unpopular to avoid looking too mainstream. It's like those music elitsts who say: "yeah I used to like that band before everyone else started listening to them". [/b][/quote]
you are forgeting though that its so easy to get tired of some thing when its shoved in your face all the time.

I don't think it would stop me from liking something entirely though. I might not listen to a CD that I own if the songs are always being played on the radio for a while but I don't think I would give up on music I like entirely just because it's mainstream.

And faust, you can think whatever you want but I have met people like that. I went to univerisity and even high school with some of them. They spend so much time and energy into avoiding anything mainstream that they become a different type of hipster/trendsetter. It's still buying into consumer culture.

i think it's good to have those people around banana...they are usually the ones who find the cool NEW stuff...that everyone else will then find out about because of them...

trendsetters=good...at least in my book... :flower:

Maybe in New York there are real trendsetters, but here it seems like one brand name/trend replacing another. Like 555soul and trucker hats was the big one 2 years ago and I don't know what it is anymore... I don't keep track. I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't ridicule or criticize others for buying a certain brand or wearing a certain trend when essentially they are doing the same thing. At least some of the Fashion Spot Members are inspiring... but I can only read clothes described- I don't see them on the person. And most of it is way out of my price range at the moment. But at least I have some things to consider for when my economic situation improves.

aawww....banana... :heart: big hug...your time will come...soon enough...

Originally posted by banana@Jun 5th, 2004 - 12:44 pm
It really doesn't have much to do with what people want anymore but the amount of choice most people have. Very few people like to travel to buy clothes and if the mall is just around the corner people are going to choose mall brands.
i agree banana, convenaince is a major player in brand selection.

Originally posted by banana@Jun 11th, 2004 - 7:11 pm
I don't think it would stop me from liking something entirely though. I might not listen to a CD that I own if the songs are always being played on the radio for a while but I don't think I would give up on music I like entirely just because it's mainstream.

And faust, you can think whatever you want but I have met people like that. I went to univerisity and even high school with some of them. They spend so much time and energy into avoiding anything mainstream that they become a different type of hipster/trendsetter. It's still buying into consumer culture.
I have met people like that too, but it seemed that your comment was aimed at the posters of this thread. I just don't like when people are judging others without knowing them well enough. If I misunderstood, I apologize.

Where are you located? For myself, I can say that NYC is definitely a different place. There is an undercurrent of true art culture in fashion here, it's just hard to find it beneath the ocean of consumer garbage.

Well I'm from Ottawa, Canada originally. It's not so bad here... most of the people either work for the government or high tech so it's not too pretentious because there are no high-end shops here other than holt renfrew. I went to University in Waterloo and most of the kids were from Toronto area suburbs who thought they were trendy when they really weren't. There were a few hipsters who would sit around in their trucker hats moaning about how mainstream everything is. It's weird because each one of them thought they were unique but as you meet more people you realize how exactly the same everyone is. If only I could get them all in a room together so that they see how much alike they are- the clothes, the music, political beliefs... it's kind of scary as thought the backlash against anything mainstream has become a trend in itself.

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 11th, 2004 - 7:39 pm
i think it's good to have those people around banana...they are usually the ones who find the cool NEW stuff...that everyone else will then find out about because of them...

trendsetters=good...at least in my book... :flower:
i completely agree...i actually envy people like that (i wish i could just discard my favorite items because it has become mainstream...i can't let go of my superfitted burberry trench for example although it just collects dust because i won't be seen in it anymore)...and in a particular way find myself aggravated by people like that because they push the envelope and make those styling decisions that are so fresh and hip that they automatically become fashionable...they are the true fashionistas in my book...while their fickle tastes may annoy, i can't help but want to emulate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->