Gap names Patrick Robinson EVP of Design

I'm on the fence. It doesn't sound like he's actually in a DESIGN position there. He is overseeing everything....I"m not sure he actually has the business acumen to redevelop Gap and restructure it. I loved what he did at Perry Ellis but like Diorling I was supremely underwhelmed with his work for Rabanne. I guess we'll just see but I can't imagine this bringing about massive changes.

This is unexpected...but I guess this is good for Gap, they do need some shake-up. With the exception of the recent collabaration with Doo.Ri, Thakoon and Rodarte, little has excited me from Gap recently.

God, Gap is one of the most pathetic American retail forces around. It needs so much work, Gap is in desperate need of a John Galliano, someone to completely reinvent the brand. But it seems like Gap is either unaware or unwilling to hire a Galliano. Banana needs it too, just not as desperately.

Gap focuses on basics. Galliano is not a good fit for that type of brand. Gap wouldn't be Gap if it were too fashion foward. I think Patrick Robinson will bring the attention to detail and good fits to the Gap brand and at the same time make wearable clothes.

Does anyone have the most recent figures for Gap? Is it really doing that bad? I mean I'm sure profits are down but I don't think it's in as dire straights as people on here are making out. I don't want Gap to be fashion forward. Sorry but I go there for basics and I don't want them to always be trendy. Anyway i'm wearing Gap right now actually now that I think about it. I'm wearing the reversible skirts from last summer and I bought two since they are the most practical summer clothing i've ever owned.

they are doing really badly actually meg...

so much so that they recently fired the woman who's position patrick will be taking over and she had been there for 10 years +...
it was quite shocking but not completely unexpected since they have been having so much trouble for so many years now...

*i just think it is interesting to note that part of why Robinson left Perry Ellis was that he wanted to do 'designer' and they wanted to do mass market...

he sure changed his tune after Paco Rabanne closed down...
seems to me like he has thrown in the towel in a way...
given up on the designer dream...
he had a rough time ...first anne klein, his own line, perry ellis, paco rabanne...

i think i would be ready for a break by now myseelf..
actually- i wouldn't mind working for him at the gap..
:innocent:...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the impression from Patrick's interview that his experience with Target is what made him want to go mass market. He seemed to be genuinely impressed with their protocol.

I think the biggest problem with GAP is style over substance. They have great ad campaigns with top models and celebrities but when you get down to the clothes they are out of touch with their market. How practical or flattering are Audrey Hepburn pants to the average Gap customer? In an age where denim reigns supreme why are they contunually hawking khakis?

Well, I guess I'm happy for him. He's 40 ( no spring chicken ) and has a family to consider. With this gig he knows he can make some sweeping changes and make some dough.

After Gap he's headed straight for Target. Hey Sears could use somebody. They are going thru designers like crazy right now. I say get him in Sears!!!!!

i think gaps biggest problem is that no one seems to be buying basics these days.

i also think that since this is such a corporate position it is not likely to result in a huge change on the salesfloor.

Gap focuses on basics. Galliano is not a good fit for that type of brand. Gap wouldn't be Gap if it were too fashion foward. I think Patrick Robinson will bring the attention to detail and good fits to the Gap brand and at the same time make wearable clothes.
I meant someone like Galliano, Galliano totally changed up Dior and made it super cool and super profitable (of course, that was in 2001, now Dior is stale as chips).

Lucy, people are still buying basics (American Apparel, Uniqlo) it's just that Gaps basics are more expensive and dont fit nearly as well. Also it's because Uniqlo and AA have placed themselves as hip and cool, while Gap is quite pedestrian and suburban.

I meant someone like Galliano, Galliano totally changed up Dior and made it super cool and super profitable (of course, that was in 2001, now Dior is stale as chips).

Lucy, people are still buying basics (American Apparel, Uniqlo) it's just that Gaps basics are more expensive and dont fit nearly as well. Also it's because Uniqlo and AA have placed themselves as hip and cool, while Gap is quite pedestrian and suburban.

I miss the cool gap...I remember the cool TV commercials (do they still air them? "Fall into the Gap") Good thing Patrick is here. He'll be a great addition to the brand *yawn* It's so boring it makes me sleepy. The only good thing I can say is the stores have great visual direction :innocent:

Edit* LOL@stale bag of chips joke

this is an example how designers can REALLY make a difference at places like gap or target...beyond one month stints.

i think it sounds genius.

who knew he was 40?

they are doing really badly actually meg...

so much so that they recently fired the woman who's position patrick will be taking over and she had been there for 10 years +...
it was quite shocking but not completely unexpected since they have been having so much trouble for so many years now...

seriously...
my friend got his gap stock annual report tonight and it begins..."2006 was not a good year for us"

Thats a great comparison Diorling, to AA and Uniqlo. I totally agree but i do think Gap's customer is a bit older. I'm sure though as recently as the early noughties they were doing well financially. Anyway what does it matter if they don't do it now?

I'm still on the fence. I'm not sure if they'll really give him any power to do any sweeping changes. I think it's funny to fill as someone said a corporate position with a designer.

Thats a great comparison Diorling, to AA and Uniqlo. I totally agree but i do think Gap's customer is a bit older. I'm sure though as recently as the early noughties they were doing well financially. Anyway what does it matter if they don't do it now?

I'm still on the fence. I'm not sure if they'll really give him any power to do any sweeping changes. I think it's funny to fill as someone said a corporate position with a designer.
Yea, hopefully they will give him power.

Id say the Gap was doing well until around 2002ish, that's when they really plummetted financially. It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. It's snowballing.

Gaps client is a bit older but that doesn't mean they're just as hip, Im all for Gap alienating clients in order to increase thier clout and bottom line. If you look in the pages of history alienation is what creates profit...Dior Homme and Abercrombie & Fitch are prime examples...AA and Uniqlo to lesser extents...Gap needs to stop trying to cater to every single person in America, because, undoubtedly they will fail. They really need to close a whole bunch of stores, there are more stores than there are people to shop in them, also, they need to stop packing thier stores full of sh*t, they need to calm it down and bring it down a notch, there is so much to take in so much to look at, it's annoying as all hell. They need to pare it down, focus things. From firsthand experience at my Gallery, the more sh*t you have, the less you sell, people dont want 20 options, they want 2, but those options have to be amazing, and undoubtedly if they are well made, designed, and cut, they will sell.

Yea, hopefully they will give him power.

Id say the Gap was doing well until around 2002ish, that's when they really plummetted financially. It just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. It's snowballing.

Gaps client is a bit older but that doesn't mean they're just as hip, Im all for Gap alienating clients in order to increase thier clout and bottom line. If you look in the pages of history alienation is what creates profit...Dior Homme and Abercrombie & Fitch are prime examples...AA and Uniqlo to lesser extents...Gap needs to stop trying to cater to every single person in America, because, undoubtedly they will fail. They really need to close a whole bunch of stores, there are more stores than there are people to shop in them, also, they need to stop packing thier stores full of sh*t, they need to calm it down and bring it down a notch, there is so much to take in so much to look at, it's annoying as all hell. They need to pare it down, focus things. From firsthand experience at my Gallery, the more sh*t you have, the less you sell, people dont want 20 options, they want 2, but those options have to be amazing, and undoubtedly if they are well made, designed, and cut, they will sell.

Oooh you have a gallery? tell me more :smile:

What a pleasant surprise. I can't believe it but I'm actually excited about something happening at the Gap. He's just the man to revamp Gap, his clothing embodies all the things Gap should be about; sportswear, casual elegance & wearability.

I'm glad for him - I loved his designs for Paco Rabanne. I just hope he can hold on to the job. It seems like every time I turn around I hear about them hiring a new designer.

Whatever happened to that woman who was designing a couple years ago, when Sarah Jessica Parker was starring in their commercials? I remember Vogue did a profile on her and it seemed like she had some wonderful ideas for the brand.

WOW! Robinson is pretty commercial, but this was a pleasant surprise! Good luck to him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->