Gareth Pugh F/W 09.10 Paris

the video is so creepy! i like it
hope to see soon the show/photos/anything

God I'm super confused! Show, Video, presentation, what?! I hate this idea of videos its basically another way of saying I can't afford to show! Super disappointed if this is the case!

I could not stop watching and re-watching the video over and over again :wub: I would really like to see the collection on a runway aswel though

Okay, so let me get this straight. Gareth decided to show a video two days before the actual presentation of the runway show? So there IS going to be a runway show, right?
The video is such a teaser... I really want to see this collection as a whole!

As far as I know, this is all there is. At the official Paris Fashion Week site it was schedueled today at 5, so yeah, unless he does it privately there is no runwayshow, but hopefully some pictures from a showroom or something

God I'm super confused! Show, Video, presentation, what?! I hate this idea of videos its basically another way of saying I can't afford to show! Super disappointed if this is the case!

:innocent: agreed! if its the case its time to sell at least some black T-shirts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, for me, Gareth Pugh's collections have always been about too much style and not really enough substance.

I hate this idea of videos its basically another way of saying I can't afford to show!

Exactly - and this is not the time for him to start messing around with anything that suggests he's an amateur.

He needs to concentrate on a catwalk show, to prove he's a contender on the same level as the serious names. Then he can go arty with a video presentation, as a supplement to the show, to extend the ideas he's trying to communicate to us. But not instead or ahead of the real thing.

He should keep things simple and effective, to make it clear that he's a proper talent, rather than repeat 'art college' stuff on a bigger scale. I like the guy, but this is the moment when he needs to shift up a gear, and make the most of the publicity he's getting to establish a solid reputation. Time doesn't stand still in fashion, he may not get this golden moment again.

Exactly - and this is not the time for him to start messing around with anything that suggests he's an amateur.

He needs to concentrate on a catwalk show, to prove he's a contender on the same level as the serious names. Then he can go arty with a video presentation, as a supplement to the show, to extend the ideas he's trying to communicate to us. But not instead or ahead of the real thing.

He should keep things simple and effective, to make it clear that he's a proper talent, rather than repeat 'art college' stuff on a bigger scale. I like the guy, but this is the moment when he needs to shift up a gear, and make the most of the publicity he's getting to establish a solid reputation. Time doesn't stand still in fashion, he may not get this golden moment again.

I feel, on one hand disappointed... but for selfish reasons. In the bigger picture I like the fact that, as you say, business-wise it would be smarter to play it safe - he does the opposite, risking to loose several "followers" from it, instead of - as he said - as "half-arsed" show.

From SHOWstudio.com:

Fashion shows are always best when submerged in a murky miasma of subtefuge. Confidentiality agreements are signed, toiles closely guarded, materials hidden, sketches are talismans: in short, everything must remain an absolute secret until it is broadcast, worldwide, for its mindboggling fifteen minutes of fame. This season, the big secret was what Gareth Pugh was going to show - or rather, how. Rumblings had emerged beforehand that Pugh's presentation would be a 'show' without the catwalk - namely that he was another designer making a brave foray into fashion film. For Pugh, this move seems quite natural - a designer who has cited 'The Wizard of Oz meets Predator' as design influences is bound to have a certain cinematic bent to their vision. Accordingly, this season Pugh teamed with filmmaker Ruth Hogben, alongside established stalwarts Katie Shillingford, Matthew Stone, Simon Costin and Alex Box, to craft the latest addition to his catalogue of triumphs.
Against a backdrop of dry ice ('Think Pan's People' said Pugh before the show), his entire collection was projected larger-than-life on the equally arresting free-flowing form of Natasa V. Since moving to Paris, it seems Pugh has upped his ante (perhaps quite naturally enough) and seems to be creating clothes people could - and would - actually wear. This collection, he said, was something of a 180-degree twist: turning that inverted triangle silhouette he has been working since Fashion East in 2005 (the self-same one everyone else seems to be cottoning onto) right-way up again. In place of leggings, we had billowing, aggressive gypsy skirts - think Romany Matrix and you'd be halfway there - and on top, body-cleaving stretch sweaters and anatomically shredded leather. Moving away from his earlier puffed-up and pumped-out abstraction, Pugh's latest collections seem to have a new affinity with the body and nature as a whole - soft, slipstream silk chiffons billowed, bubbled and melted across the screen like a sinister (but beautiful) Rorschach inkblot. Aesthetically arresting, yes, but equally they seemed eminently saleable: ditto Pugh's strong statement for long in floor-length pleated skirts, ankle-grazing coats and wide trousers, all of which he assured us are rendered in the finest leather, Italian wool and cashmere suiting. For those who feel this has all got too haute luxe for the master of high concept, a series of simple seperates studded with Hellraiser-style nails were a perfect example of the short, sharp shock treatments Pugh so loves.
Graphic, dramatic and emphatic: like a perfume ad, this film was all about the dark, concentrated essence absolue of Pugh's vision, and the cinematic treatment did his equally blockbuster imagination ample justice.

Also, Matthew Stone has released the soundtrack on his blog

GarethPughHomme_MatthewStone.jpg

i disagree. ysl menswear presents their clothes in videos. i doubt its cause they cant afford a show.

i disagree. ysl menswear presents their clothes in videos. i doubt its cause they cant afford a show.

But YSL is an immensely established name. The brand's authority exists irrespective of who designs for it, it arcs over decades. It can get away with video presentations because they're a tiny addition to a much greater whole.

When it comes to someone new on the scene, you need to see what the brand is made of - literally. That video presentation made me really impressed - with the lighting technicians. Their work was excellent. The clothes? I didn't get a good look, even though they're the entire point of a presentation.

You can have multimedia wows on a website, why offer this paltry experience as a show? I don't care what names were attached to the project, and what spinoff soundtracks you can get from someone's myspace or blog, where was the substance?

catwalks presentation is something very important in fashion ...
Margiela, V&R and so on has for a long time worked on what a fashion show is, should be ...
therefore the focus is more onto the 'medium' which presents the outfits than on the outfits themselves ...
sometimes i think it's a bit disturbing .... especially since it tries to get a connection with the artworld's debates ... and thus the limits are blurred ... but i don't know the outfits should be shown the way our society is (oops ... not sure found the good words there) ... to make it short Kunstwollen !!!
But there ... I think G.P. has done a mistake (or a misunderstanding or a misleading) when V&R has managed with it ... as they really made a 'democratic' video (ie both the normal and fashion audience had to see it via the internet) while G.P. did an exclusively for fashion people presentation for his video + a video onto showstudio (who's known for their experimentation with art, new media, art etc.)

i don't know if i should agree with tiggerrouge
can you experiment such ideas only when you are established (or to make a name) ?? ... that's a good question !
But is it only the medium (video) that disturb you ? or is it the fact G.P. experiments with the idea of what a fashion show is ?

I think its a completely different story here , you cannot compare the super financial power of YSL house with GP's baby steps as yet.... perhaps if Dior deal goes ahead as people are gossiping, after few seasons we can agree with the "option" factor, but at the moment it seems rather dubious, and unfortunately the "lack of finances" idea come to my mind as well.

I agree with the last few posts, I think after he left London people would be expecting some proper fashion business out of it, it means a classic runway show where he could get the most publicity, it could of course be dramatic as he wished, super loud, a sinister circus as always has been, whatever! A picture its easier to publish, to analyze, to check the evolution of his style and skills, and the real deal: clothes.

The video is great as a support idea if it come along with the proper clothes in a classic runway or displayed in static mannequins , it show the whole concept with sound & movement edited in the way he wishes to tell the story, but in a generation when everything is digitally manipulated it can easily disguise the fact that what we're seeing is real and the observation of fabric/shape/colour/cut/proportion etc.. is mostly lost in the after effects - what we see on the film are just intentions. Nothing else. People wear clothes.

Fashion and Cinema can eventually touch each other but they are very different artistic expressions.

(sorry for my messy english I'm Italian)

Last edited by a moderator:
very disappointed not to be able to see runway pics. the vid should just supplement a main presentation where everybody can really see the clothes. his website is terrible with no pics of anything at all. i think he needs better marketing people.

where are his clothes carried (or going to be carried) in nyc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zendayacomz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->