Gucci Loses Shoppers to Louis Vuitton as Fashion Cachet Fades

vetements

Reaction score
2008-07-22 22:01:00.10 (New York)

bloomberg

By Sara Gay Forden
July 23 (Bloomberg) -- Gucci, the biggest money maker for Paris-based retailer PPR SA, may report a 5.8 percent increase in second-quarter sales today after losing customers in the first three months of this year to luxury rivals it had outperformed for three years.
The return of profit momentum doesn't necessarily mean a revival in the label's cachet. Rita Clifton, chairman of London- based Interbrand consulting company, said Gucci may be squandering its high-end credentials for more mainstream growth.
``There's a real danger zone at Gucci at this moment,''
Clifton said. ``It's easy in these high-pressure times to drive growth by keeping your foot on the accelerator, but they've got to make sure they keep reinvesting in top-end luxury.''
Gucci, the industry's ``it'' brand in the 1990s under designer Tom Ford and former Chief Executive Officer Domenico De Sole, increased sales by 46 percent from 2004 to 2007, even after the departure of the high-profile leaders. Since then, Gucci has been ``coasting on good will,'' Washington Post fashion critic Robin Givhan said in a interview.
With the slowdown in U.S. consumption, Gucci's flaws are beginning to show, Givhan said, adding that the label has ``lost its personality.'' Gucci's first-quarter sales growth slowed to
2.5 percent from 11 percent in the fourth quarter.
U.S. Sales Decline
Since February, sales at U.S. luxury department stores had an average monthly decline of 2.7 percent compared with the previous year, according to a July 10 report from the International Council of Shopping Centers. In 2007, luxury sales rose 6.3 percent.
Gucci competitor LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA, on the other hand, benefited from having a third of its sales in Asia, where spending on luxury goods in countries excluding Japan is increasing 20 percent to 30 percent, according to Armando Branchini, vice president of Interbrand in Milan. PPR generates two-thirds of its revenue in Europe. It has 16 stores in China and plans open several more this year.
``Gucci has disappointed the market and LVMH has surprised,'' said Scilla Huang Sun, who runs a luxury fund for Julius Baer Holding AG in Zurich. Julius Baer cut its stake in PPR by 25 percent this year, while buying LVMH, the world's biggest luxury-goods maker.
The Biggest Slice
Gucci accounts for 36 percent of PPR's operating profit and
11 percent of sales.
Deutsche Bank AG and Goldman, Sachs & Co. lowered profit estimates and stock recommendations July 10 on concern demand was weakening. Merrill Lynch cut PPR's price target by 19 percent to
69 euros and lowered its profit forecast 1 percent to 7.44 euros a share July 21.
Analysts estimate a 4 percent increase in PPR's 2008 earnings per share, compared with estimates of a 7 percent rise at LVMH, based on data compiled by Bloomberg. PPR shares, which closed at 63.28 euros yesterday, have dropped 42 percent this year. LVMH fell 19 percent in the same period.
A recent effort by Gucci to design a lower-priced handbag to compete with Vuitton's Neverfull tote also gave a down-market image to the brand, critics said. Canvas GG Joy purses and bags, introduced last year, are emblazoned with printed GG logos and cost about 350 euros ($543) for a small doctor-bag model.
`Canal Street' Image
``The bags look like something you'd see on Canal Street peddled by a counterfeiter,'' said Givhan, referring to New York City's marketplace for copycat designer goods. She said the line recalls Gucci of the 1980s when the brand suffered from over- expansion.
LVMH reported a 5.3 percent increase in revenue in the first quarter, driven by 7 percent sales growth in its fashion and leather goods unit that includes Louis Vuitton. HSBC analyst Antoine Belge estimates Louis Vuitton sales rose 13 percent in the second quarter and will gain 12 percent this year. LVMH reports second-quarter sales July 29.
Gucci Group NV Chief Executive Officer Robert Polet, 52, who oversees Gucci and eight other brands, stands by his goal of doubling Gucci's revenue to 3 billion euros by 2011.
``There is no proverbial milking of the cow,'' Gucci's CEO Mark Lee said in an interview. ``The dream of Gucci is very much alive.'' Lee said Gucci is pursuing the same luxury strategy it has for 13 years.
To achieve Polet's target, sales will have to rise at least
11 percent a year, said MF Global Securities analyst John Guy.
``They have pushed the DNA of the Gucci brand very fast and very aggressively,'' said Concetta Lanciaux, an industry consultant. ``There has been a clear shift from a fashion customer to a more market-driven consumer. This can work, but it takes time.''
A big question about Gucci centers on whether PPR was right in promoting Frida Giannini, a former Fendi accessories designer who replaced Tom Ford, said industry consultant David Wolfe of the Doneger Group. ``Gucci's fashion leadership quotient has slowly, but surely diminished,'' Wolfe said.

Sad news, but very true. :( I'm not as impressed with Gucci and they no longer feel current at the moment-- so I can understand the vast decline. I have hope they return to being strong.

i recently defected from Louis Vuitton to Gucci ... love their FW collection

Finally, people are seeing Giannini for the novice she is. Someone with absolutely no vision

i recently defected from Louis Vuitton to Gucci ... love their FW collection

I too loved the fall collections for men and women and was hoping that it was the beginning of something good...then I realized it was a fluke after she presented that crap she called a collection for SS09 Men.

Sadly, I don't know if they will equate the loss of customer and relevance with Frida, as sales were up at one point do to her.

i actually love the accessories ... the latest "Hysteria" handbag. Gucci went back in time to revive its make of the original material... dating back to when my grandmother's Gucci bag used to be.

i'm going against Bloomberg/Wall St and betting on Gucci :smile:

It's not a shock. This article basically sums up what I and many others have been saying four times a year for 2 years now.

I don't think Gucci's been managed well at all, at least not for the long haul. Yes their profits peaked right away, but they sacrificed prestige, cachet and a sense of exclusivity for a quick buck....and after all, what's a luxury fashion label without prestige, cachet and exclusivity?

i'm going against Bloomberg/Wall St and betting on Gucci :smile:

Me too!

I believe it has a future with Giannini.

But I do think that they charge WAY too much for what they produce.

I saw the Hysteria Bag, one of them, was something like $39,000!!!!

Oh. My. GOD. That is outrageous. It wasn't even aligator or any other expensive skin. It was just leather!

They're going to go bankrupt with those kind of prices.

:innocent:

It's not a shock. This article basically sums up what I and many others have been saying four times a year for 2 years now.

I don't think Gucci's been managed well at all, at least not for the long haul. Yes their profits peaked right away, but they sacrificed prestige, cachet and a sense of exclusivity for a quick buck....and after all, what's a luxury fashion label without prestige, cachet and exclusivity?

Exactly.

I mean, at this point it's hard to tell the different between Gucci and Guess? when it comes to pattern, print, et al. :innocent:

more importantly...when r they going to send me a free bag so i can sell it off on ebay!! :P

:heart:

word!

maybe they come to their senses again. that Frida sh!t is so boring!

This is true. 2004 was when Gucci died. They've been coasting since.

LV has been coasting since 2006. They'll soon feel it.

Maybe they can carve out a niche among people who are lacking in fashion sense/taste & yet have money to spend? :ninja: (i.e., the nouveau riche) I guess there's a point at which even these folks realize a brand has no cachet ... :innocent:

The odd thing is, I really like Frida's interior decorating (she's been profiled in Bazaar I think a couple times). She seems to have some taste--why doesn't it translate to the runway :huh:

^ I agree with your first comment. That's what I think of when I think of the Gucci customer today, young, trendy and rich. It's certainly not someone with a confident style of their own, nor is it a discerning luxury client....and I think that's a terrible way for a house with such a legacy of style and luxury to go in.

And I think you're right, eventually even the tasteless and trendy will wake up.

^ au contraire. it's LV's niche, plus the Japanese are still flocking heavily , steadily and continously to LV.

Maybe they can carve out a niche among people who are lacking in fashion sense/taste & yet have money to spend? :ninja: (i.e., the nouveau riche)
haha, it has alreay happened, just go into the gucci boutique in nyc or bal harbour and you'll see it infested with eastern european "business" men, their families, hip hop people, etc. it will always sell with them
smallgrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->