Halsey

wanderess

Reaction score
credit: rollingstone
shutterstock_9919820jt.jpg

Ashley Nicolette Frangipane (born September 29, 1994), known professionally as Halsey is an American singer and songwriter. Her stage name is a reference to the Halsey Street station of the New York City Subway in Brooklyn, and an anagram of her first name.

After gaining attention from self-released music on social media platforms, Halsey was signed by Astralwerks in 2014. She then released her debut EP, Room 93, later that year. To promote the EP and her upcoming album, Halsey toured with larger acts. Her debut studio album, Badlands, was released in 2015. The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 and was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Badlands released three new singles, all of which were certified Platinum and achieved minor commercial success; it also produced a rereleased single, which was certified Gold. To promote the album, Halsey embarked on her debut headlining world tour.

In 2016, Halsey was featured as a vocalist on The Chainsmokers' single "Closer", which achieved major commercial success, topping the charts of over 20 countries and gaining Halsey greater prominence. Her second studio album, Hopeless Fountain Kingdom, was released in 2017 and debuted at number one in the US and Canada. The album consisted of more "radio friendly" music than her previous releases; four of its singles charted on the Billboard Hot 100, with "Now or Never" peaking at number 17 and "Bad at Love" peaking at number five. In 2018, Halsey sang with Khalid for Benny Blanco's debut single "Eastside", which topped the charts of five countries and peaked at number nine on the Billboard Hot 100. Later that year, she released a single titled "Without Me", which peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and also charted in the top five of sixteen other countries.

Halsey is noted for her distinctive singing voice. Her music focuses on her personal experiences and telling a story. Her awards and nominations include four Billboard Music Awards, two iHeartRadio Music Awards, one GLAAD Media Award, one Global Award, and a Grammy Award nomination. Outside of her career, she has been involved in suicide prevention awareness and sexual assault victim advocacy.

halsey's instagram

Last edited by a moderator:
ELLE June 2015

photographed by: Paola Kudacki
styled by: Samira Nasr
makeup by: Serge Hodonou

source: ELLE.com

Teen Vogue

Photographed by: Paley Fairman

source: paleyfairman.com

Halsey performing at Boston Calling Music Festival
Boston, MA – May 24, 2015

indieminded.com

Meet Halsey

Nasty Gal

We sat down with the blue-haired songstress Halsey to get the deets on her new album Badlands, wardrobe staples, and tour life.

What does yours summer wardrobe consist of?
Sneakers are a must. Summer time means active time. I have SO many pairs of sneakers. Some are super-sleek and cool and others are mega stepdad-looking. High-waisted denim shorts are a staple. ’80s style workout shorts with a high cut thigh. Jelly sandals. Loose tanktops and cute decorated bracelets. And baseball caps and visors. I love mixing super “girly” pieces with athletic “boyish” pieces, because who’s to say I can’t?
What’s your favorite thing to wear on stage?
I like two-piece sets and backwards snapbacks, holographic prints and sheer materials, sparkles and things that catch the best of my awesome light show. I like to twirl but I also prefer combat boots on my feet so I can throw the f*** down.

What’s your favorite thing to wear for a big night out?
I don’t really go out much. But I love a good leather jacket to go to Whole Foods.

Describe your style in three words.
Androgynous, sexy, outer-space

Why have you chosen blue as your signature hair color?
Blue is my creative color. I cut vocals with blue light. My music sounds blue to me. I’m comfortable in blue. I’m electric.

Tell us a little about what we can expect from your new album Badlands… what’s the story behind the name? How does the sound differ from your past work? Is there a consistent theme?
Badlands is just a greater body of work. It’s a place; a metaphor for my mental state. The Badlands are isolated. Chaotic. Commercial. Gluttonous. And midway through the record the protagonist makes a decision to escape, though unsure of what lies beyond the only place they’ve ever known. This symbolizes my choice to leave a depressive state of mind and seek solace in a more optimistic place. Leaving behind the devastation but carrying the baggage still. It’s darker, more industrial. And we’ve attempted to create a physical space with sound. It’s an adventure; it’s a movie with no picture.

Where’s your favorite place to play live?

I love New York—the energy is incredible. Chicago has been kind to me as well. Every place is special because every city has their own vibe and I get to tap into that every night and make each show unique

How do you keep yourself occupied on the bus when you’re touring?
Lots of Tumblr and Twitter and seeing what my fans are up to. I FaceTime friends at home, read, sketch, write music, hangout with my crew. We’re all best friends and we come from a very underground mentality. We’re cut from the Warped Tour cloth, where it’s a lot more friendly and not quite as rigid and professional. They work their ***es off and we all get to revel in the amazing show every night.

What do you like to do on your time off, when you’re not making music or touring?
up boxing, it’s really good to relieve stress. I cook, play video games…I think I like all these things ’cause they’re tedious; they’re mindless. My brain is like a revolving door when I’m creating and it’s exhausting to be so cognitively engaged all the time. The tasks I like to do at home are numbing. They block all that out.

blog.nastygal.com

I discovered her while listening to pandora, I like her lyrics

Halsey attends the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on August 30, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.

zimbio

Moved this thread to "The art of noise"...

Singer Halsey visits 'The Elvis Duran Z100 Morning Show' at Z100 Studio on October 22, 2015 in New York City.

zimbio

By the way, I love her album, Badlands! I will be seeing her on stage next year in Lollapalooza Argentina :wink:

Singer Halsey attends the Museum of Modern Art's 8th Annual Film Benefit Honoring Cate Blanchett at the Museum of Modern Art on November 17, 2015 in New York City.
GwpslnY.jpg

zimbio

arriving at Justin Bieber’s American Music Awards after party - November 22, 2015

starity.hu

I'm a fan of Halsey's music, especially "Coming Down" and "Young God", but I would question her claim of bipolar disorder. I myself am manic-depressive, have seen it in many other people, and her bipolar disorder curiously only appears to manifest via Twitter. Hmm.

Halsey and Ruby Rose out in Hollywood - 12.21.2015

halseysource tumblr

Very honored to announce my collaboration with @MACcosmetics, can't wait for you guys to have it this March #MACFutureForward #EverythingIsGreyishBlue
[

performing at the O2 Academy Brixton, London (February 23, 2016)

starity.hu

MAC Cosmetics Future Forward appearance with singer Halsey on March 30, 2016 in Hollywood, California.
Zal14eK.jpg

IGEVQhz.jpg

V8geJgx.jpg

L2ZrAwh.jpg

zimbio

Singer Halsey attends the 2016 MTV Movie Awards at Warner Bros. Studios on April 9, 2016 in Burbank, California. MTV Movie Awards airs April 10, 2016 at 8pm ET/PT.
lnI2SBw.jpg

8wcCMZk.jpg

kGmS8pZ.jpg

5tFsBTl.jpg

58pkvle.jpg

zimbio

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello