Have you been sick of multi covers for one single issue?

balmain1914

Reaction score
Have you been sick of multi covers for one single issue? Like i-D magazine, a huge multi-cover believer.

I understand it is all about commercial, sell copies as much as you can. But since magazines have grabbed so many big ad clients, can you stop doing multi covers for a while? I am so tired to see this.

I am sick of it too, and what's worse, each cover has nothing to do with each other, so often. I don't see the point of it. Plus, I hate it to Muse, too. Also it's baffling and annoying that all the covers are not available in one place--of course it's worse when it's imported to other countries, and I cannot but get a copy with a cover I dislike.
I only like multi covers when the number of them is two or three and each cover is related, and they are almost equally beautiful so I wouldn't mind getting any of them. I like/don't mind it when, say, Vogue Italia does it.

I really like multi covers but I think magazines like I-D are going too far! 9 covers in one issue? that is too much...
I dont mind 3 or 4 covers, but more is just too much. I dont mind if the covers dont have nothing to do but dont overdo it please!!

For me it is no problem, i like it most of the time, because i can buy the issue with the model i like the best. But the problem is that most of the time not all the covers are in the store, and this is a f..... problem ! And i have to buy the issue on the internet, and that cost much more money !!! ;(((

I don`t like multi covers because like for i-D, I`m an avid collector of i-D and it definitely does not come in a cheap price... so it`s such to buy all covers, especially 12 of `em

I am totally sick of multi-covers because sometimes not one single cover is good or when you find one that you really like it's not available at the newsstand. I think magazines should be more careful about the use of multi-covers in order not to make them become too common.

It's the reason why I have never been able to subscribe to magazines! What if they send you the cover you don't want?!

Visually-speaking, I like seeing them all. But then it makes it difficult to decide what to buy, and as MON says if you're a collector then it gets very expensive! I've found myself digging around in piles of magazines before trying to find the one cover out of many that I wanted!

It seems to happen so frequently with some magazines, all they do now is multi-cover issues. Shouldn't it be a special thing for a concept? I guess not anymore.

Don't see a problem with multiple covers. Although saying that, with i-D, I haven't always been successful in sourcing down a particular cover, and I'm where the magazine is published. And being unsucsessful consists of trekking from store to store, which is when I loathe the multiple cover situation. But in terms of design and discussion, I have no objection.

i dont see what is the problem with Multicovers. i mean in what way does it bother you or affect you?

YES! I'm tired of multiple covers. I use to run all over searching for the covers I like best, but I got tired of that very quickly. Now, if I don't see the cover I want, I just don't buy the issue.

And don't even get me started on how peeved I get when all the cover images aren't inside the issue.:judge:

It's nice when 2 or 3 covers are offered. But all those i-D really were too much.

YES! I'm tired of multiple covers. I use to run all over searching for the covers I like best, but I got tired of that very quickly. Now, if I don't see the cover I want, I just don't buy the issue.

If there are multiple covers, and my favourite can't be found, the feeling of there being 'something better' than what's on sale in front of me means I might not buy the issue at all, rather than settle for second-best.

And generally, for me, these magazines are never that sensational that I'd put my energies into some great search to get hold of them, so if a magazine wants to lure me into purchasing special or selected covers, it has to make sure they go on sale where I can get them.

I'm all for the idea of using multiple covers for experimentation, or a way of testing response on the newsstand, but sometimes, I don't see that much thought going into their creation, or across the theme. Two or three covers offers the chance for variation on a theme, keeping it tight and creative, without going into the realms of self-indulgence, and losing sight of your audience.

It seems to happen so frequently with some magazines, all they do now is multi-cover issues. Shouldn't it be a special thing for a concept? I guess not anymore.

I couldn't agree more! Multiple covers should exist for a special concept or idea and they shouldn't become the rule in the magazine business.

i-D is the worst offended of the multi-cover syndrome. Far too often, their covers don't relate to one another, but just act as the cover for each editorial inside the issue. Like the last issue dedicated to China, was it necessary to have Victoria Beckham, Stella Tennant and the others on the cover? It watered down the stunning Chinese covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the reason why I have never been able to subscribe to magazines! What if they send you the cover you don't want?

Yes that's true, subscribing has it's disadvantages, like it might not be the cover you want and it could arrive damaged. Saying that though I subscribe to i-D magazine and I like the surprise of not knowing what cover I'm going to receive.

Don't see a problem with multiple covers. Although saying that, with i-D, I haven't always been successful in sourcing down a particular cover, and I'm where the magazine is published. And being unsucsessful consists of trekking from store to store, which is when I loathe the multiple cover situation. But in terms of design and discussion, I have no objection.

I totally agree!

If there are multiple covers, and my favourite can't be found, the feeling of there being 'something better' than what's on sale in front of me means I might not buy the issue at all, rather than settle for second-best.

And generally, for me, these magazines are never that sensational that I'd put my energies into some great search to get hold of them, so if a magazine wants to lure me into purchasing special or selected covers, it has to make sure they go on sale where I can get them.

I'm all for the idea of using multiple covers for experimentation, or a way of testing response on the newsstand, but sometimes, I don't see that much thought going into their creation, or across the theme. Two or three covers offers the chance for variation on a theme, keeping it tight and creative, without going into the realms of self-indulgence, and losing sight of your audience.

+1 I hate settling, I've done it twice before and have vowed to never do it again since.

i-D is the worst offended of the multi-cover syndrome. Far too often, their covers don't relate to one another, but just act as the cover for each editorial inside the issue. Like the last issue dedicated to China, was it necessary to have Victoria Beckham, Stella Tennant and the others on the cover? It watered down the stunning Chinese covers.

Major point!

The only time it drives me crazy is when I can't find the particular cover I'm after, I can't say I ever had trouble getting it, but sometimes it has involved visiting countless stores which is rather annoying and time consuming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloome
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->