Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

It's very warm and luxurious in that old-fashioned way, almost to the point of feeling like a parody on quiet luxury at times (logoed pieces withstanding). They even offer lines like "Grandes Classiques", "Haute Maroquinerie" and "Haute Parfumerie", which give the illusion that this version of Celine has been here for several decades.

Hedi understood what was needed at Celine—a sense of permanence. It needed heritage and a sense of institution if it wanted to grow to LVMH’s expectations. It can’t be just a label du jour. Thus the whole branding. I find joy in seeing Celine ads in print where they shine. They stand in contrast to what is now the regulation bland/glossy modern look most brands go for.

It needs to feel legitimate if it will command high prices. He’s successful at that, creating something that isn’t the most buzzed about but just existing there in permanence providing clients with staples. Not an easy feat. I wonder though how much he can push it.

While I don't really like Hedi Slimane as a designer (primarily because of his bland womenswear), I've always admired how directional the branding at Celine is, especially when compared to "everything, including the kitchen sink" feels Louis Vuitton, Dior, Fendi and Loewe have.

Everything he's done at Celine has this moody, decadent take on the 70s hippie/bourgeoisie with undertones of 00s subculture: the abundance of gold, cream and brown, the abundance of denim, the slouchy tweed and leather jackets, the sequinned evening dresses and jackets, the croc-leather top handles and crossbodys, the bare faces and long flowing hair, the destination shows, the simple black-and-white photography.

It's very warm and luxurious in that old-fashioned way, almost to the point of feeling like a parody on quiet luxury at times (logoed pieces withstanding). They even offer lines like "Grandes Classiques", "Haute Maroquinerie" and "Haute Parfumerie", which give the illusion that this version of Celine has been here for several decades.
Hedi is such a polarizing figure in fashion. Either you hate him or you worship him. It's seldom to be neutral.

But I agree with all of this. He's one of the most consistent and provoking image makers in the industry. The way he moulds a house into the most detailed manifestation of his identity, interests and obsessions is uncontested. He is the perfect example of what a "Creative Director" should be.

Stripping bare and restructuring a Fashion house twice is no easy task.
His Celine has become this intermediary for Luxury and Aspirational Fashion. If one becomes too fatigued with Chanel and Hermes, CELINE is the obvious alternative. Because what it caters can effortlessly be intertwined with the offerings of the two great Luxury houses.

While Dior is the darling of LVMH. LV, the bread and butter. Loewe, the Enigma and CELINE, the great Mediator.
Arnault's Fab Four...

While CELINE's womenswear is decent and dependable. His Fall 2019 Women's collection was momentous for his tenure; It was the collection that signalled the end of the Hype and Athleisure craze and the ground zero for the 70's resurgence. Then it became the house's foundation for its brand identity till to this day.

Hedi is such a polarizing figure in fashion. Either you hate him or you worship him. It's seldom to be neutral.

But I agree with all of this. He's one of the most consistent and provoking image makers in the industry.

I think that's the problem. He's become so mundane and ordinary in his approach and his clothes clearly don't provoke anything in the way that his previous collections used to.

Slimane's first collection was a total provocation (perhaps purely in its anti-Phoebe-ness) but ever since then? It's all pretty basic and expected if you ask me.

Honestly he has completely lost his design edge and is totally stuck in a rut. Slimane is basically on the Maria Grazia Chiuri level of repetitiveness and commercial mundanity....

I think that's the problem. He's become so mundane and ordinary in his approach and his clothes clearly don't provoke anything in the way that his previous collections used to.

Slimane's first collection was a total provocation (perhaps purely in its anti-Phoebe-ness) but ever since then? It's all pretty basic and expected if you ask me.

Honestly he has completely lost his design edge and is totally stuck in a rut. Slimane is basically on the Maria Grazia Chiuri level of repetitiveness and commercial mundanity....
Sadly, this is the LVMH strategy kicking in.

The Merchandising rollout kind of compromises the potentiality of risk-taking or adding more edge to a collection.
I think what's happening here is that LVMH gave him total control but CELINE needs to fill a gap in the market, and then create a new fashion & lifestyle ecosystem. (Ie. MGC's Dior & Alessandro's Gucci)

They gave him some goals and guidelines on what CELINE needed to move forward and he navigated the brand with decent notoriety and consistent results. He's also become so comfortable with CELINE and this is a probable factor to what you've said. Why reinvent the wheel? As one would put it. Maybe he has grown out of the notorious invoker that we all knew during his DH and SL days.

Overall, I think he did a great job with CELINE. It is a Solid brand with coherence, select-approach and identifiable imagery.

how fashion standards have fallen that all of a sudden slimane is being praised. He is good at setting the mood and selling the fantasy but by no means is he a fashion designer. Maybe a fantastic stylist at most
That's why he is a Creative Director.

Setting the mood, making aspirational imagery and even photographing/styling the collections is what a Creative Director does.

Also, Celine as a house doesn't need a Fashion Designer.

Fashion's at such a junkyard level these days that even Lindsay at Ungaro looks like the 'better days' from here. It makes sense we're in that time of year where, after a series of fiascos in other equally boring big houses, people are like 'wait, and there's Hedi' 'k let's all list one thing we admire about Hedi....' 'Hedi is so consistent and true to his beliefs, yes Zara beliefs, and THAT is what makes it so consistent, therefore he is GREAT'. Wait for it again around late October. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and Hedi's best move has been aging, keeping his rants to himself, and switching autopilot on.

Fashion's at such a junkyard level these days that even Lindsay at Ungaro looks like the 'better days' from here. It makes sense we're in that time of year where, after a series of fiascos in other equally boring big houses, people are like 'wait, and there's Hedi' 'k let's all list one thing we admire about Hedi....' 'Hedi is so consistent and true to his beliefs, yes Zara beliefs, and THAT is what makes it so consistent, therefore he is GREAT'. Wait for it again around late October. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and Hedi's best move has been aging, keeping his rants to himself, and switching autopilot on.
lol not lohans ungaro looking more gucci than ancora :D

I really dont see it for slimane its the same thing he has been doing in his past tenures but with a different brand and different logo. am i missing something?

^^Big agree.

To be honest, I never cared for his Saint Laurent. Something about it never worked. But his Celine has been a perfect fit.

His first collection or two kind of flopped - the 80’s party look wasn’t right and he knew it. Once he settled into the 70’s bon chic, bon genre look it all clicked.

He gets so much hate, but it’s really not deserved. Is he my favorite designer ever? Not even close. But he’s really good at what he does and I wish more designers were as exacting and obsessed with quality as he is.
Hedi's dedication to high product quality is probably a consequence of self awareness. Throughout his whole career he has always flirted with bad taste (Punk, Grunge, New Wave, Dandies, E-Boys) in his collections. When a designer is trying to sell an atypical aesthetic at a luxury price point, the quality level has to become a strong support to justify the price. Lots of 90s minimalist designers used a similar strategy.

As for Saint Laurent, the issue Hedi's vision has a strong menswear bias, which works well at blank-slate Celine. Saint Laurent, however, has always bee very strongly linked with women, which creates that dissonance with Hedi. That's why most of us prefer Vaccarello's vision for Saint Laurent, despite the products themselves being weaker.
Hedi understood what was needed at Celine—a sense of permanence. It needed heritage and a sense of institution if it wanted to grow to LVMH’s expectations. It can’t be just a label du jour. Thus the whole branding. I find joy in seeing Celine ads in print where they shine. They stand in contrast to what is now the regulation bland/glossy modern look most brands go for.

It needs to feel legitimate if it will command high prices. He’s successful at that, creating something that isn’t the most buzzed about but just existing there in permanence providing clients with staples. Not an easy feat. I wonder though how much he can push it.
Yes, Celine's shows and campaigns have the nonchalant warmness does stand out in a generation dominated by this hyper-serious minimalism. It's distinct and different, but understandable and accessible to serve a ten-figure-brand.

But I agree with all of this. He's one of the most consistent and provoking image makers in the industry. The way he moulds a house into the most detailed manifestation of his identity, interests and obsessions is uncontested. He is the perfect example of what a "Creative Director" should be.

Stripping bare and restructuring a Fashion house twice is no easy task.
His Celine has become this intermediary for Luxury and Aspirational Fashion. If one becomes too fatigued with Chanel and Hermes, CELINE is the obvious alternative. Because what it caters can effortlessly be intertwined with the offerings of the two great Luxury houses.

While Dior is the darling of LVMH. LV, the bread and butter. Loewe, the Enigma and CELINE, the great Mediator.
Arnault's Fab Four...

While CELINE's womenswear is decent and dependable. His Fall 2019 Women's collection was momentous for his tenure; It was the collection that signalled the end of the Hype and Athleisure craze and the ground zero for the 70's resurgence. Then it became the house's foundation for its brand identity till to this day.
It's smart because LVMH didn't have a more "traditional" brand in their portfolio. PopLouis Vuitton, Dior and Loewe are very pop-culture in terms of their aesthetics and strategies, so Celine really balances that out. On top of that, it's also smart to create a competitor to Hermès, Chanel and Saint Laurent:
• their "16" and "Conti" bags look like less fussy versions of Hermès' "Kelly" and "Birkin".
• their tweed jackets are more lighter and less stuffy than Chanel's
• their suiting, sahariennes and tuxedos look more pragmatic and easier to wear than Saint Laurent (no sky-high heels either)

Hedi's dedication to high product quality is probably a consequence of self awareness. Throughout his whole career he has always flirted with bad taste (Punk, Grunge, New Wave, Dandies, E-Boys) in his collections. When a designer is trying to sell an atypical aesthetic at a luxury price point, the quality level has to become a strong support to justify the price. Lots of 90s minimalist designers used a similar strategy.
You mean subcultures, not 'bad taste'. Bad taste is something like Gianni Versace, Cavalli, Dsquared, it exists often unknowingly (meaning it came from lacking refinement, cultural capital, etc) in relation to what taste (aka. "good taste") negates (loosely quoting Bourdieu here). Subcultures, especially the ones you listed, tend to be nonconformist, critical, subversive at least in relation to their surroundings, and while they're not above strict sartorial dress codes at all, and they do have a pyramid of status always, they don't exist in relation to the value of taste, and the way they enclose themselves means they're not actively pursuing it. Miuccia Prada for better or for worse, used to flirt with bad taste, that's what made her work 'clever' (lately she IS bad taste).

Hedi, just like Raf, Rick Owens, Marc Jacobs, what they all have in common is that they have built their fame on borrowing and/or shamelessly appropriating entire subcultures, watering them down, repackaging them, and reselling them to the rich man and ultimately the mainstream. They admire the subculture enough to turn it into their default gold mine and build their legacy exploiting it as a source and calling it their own, but not enough to seek credentials there and give up the wallets of the 1%. In the case of Rick, it's for the rich man who somehow thinks he's esoteric and 'weird'. In the case of Marc and Hedi, it's for rich people that for whatever reason never felt cool enough to go to concerts or be around certain people, so these two took the role of news correspondents and provide reports of what the cool and young people do and the places they go, and often times (because they know the airheads of fashion are not exactly fact-checking anything) they'll just make up places and moments and people and tell you 'this is it' and the fashion crowd thanks with a standing ovation lol. And because that need to feel and possess 'cool' runs that deep, it's not that the quality compensates for challenging or oh-so atypical and conceptual design, or that it finalises some process to convince consumers, that was never an issue for this demographic. The high standard of quality simply means they are from a relative old guard, a generation that came to the scene when the bar was really high and fashion is primarily their world (not the subculture they want you to believe). Delivering something 'cool' in s*itty quality back in 2001 just wasn't an option (unless you wanted to be talked about next to Imitation of Christ and not Jil Sander). They're well-educated and wired to a time in the industry where 'street' and superior quality were not antonyms.

Celine is launching "Celine Beauté" starting with a collection of 15 lipstick shade called "Le Rouge Celine". Their first shade "Le Rouge Triomphe" will launch this fall, with the rest of the collection launching in next year.

What about Dries van Noten’s? I thought his colours and packaging were absolutely fab.
He doesn’t have an extensive line.
I don’t wear a lot of make-up so I love products that can disappear. Armani beauty is good too but I’m very faithful to Tom Ford and Chanel for specific products.

But Dries’s packaging is good like Hermes. I’m more interested in his clothes though. His fragrances are great btw.

Celine is launching "Celine Beauté" starting with a collection of 15 lipstick shade called "Le Rouge Celine". Their first shade "Le Rouge Triomphe" will launch this fall, with the rest of the collection launching in next year.

This is very smart. They need a few entry price point products for the kpop fans. Also makeup is clearly lucrative as hell, with Selena Gomez, Kylie Jenner and Rihanna all becoming billionaires from their brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->