Hedi Slimane - Designer, Creative Director of Celine

But he did him no justice the title sounds promising but then fails deeply by not showing this other side of Hedi and then he proceeds to double down to agree why it makes sense that Hedi´s way of working is not in tune with the times. LOL

Cheap and no journalistic integrity, we also don't need a bio of hedi´s past accomplishments as filler to the beef up the word count.
Add to that the fact that he talks about himself...I hate when journalists do that! You are not the subject of the article, Imran!!

No one wants Tisci in 2024. He belongs to another era.
Don’t include me. I want him back…

Imran’s piece is very strange and makes me question his views or understanding of the industry.
To compare Hedi Slimane with Jacquemus or even JWA is such a weird thing to do.

Just because you communicate differently doesn’t mean that it’s not suited for the world. Do people buy Jacquemus because they like Simon? Probably.
Do people buy Loewe because they Like JWA? I don’t think so. His success is clearly build on desirable products and the beauty of fashion.
I don’t know….I’ve always felt like everything we needed to know about Hedi Slimane is on full display in his work.

And I think that for the most part, it’s enough about a designer or an artist. I respect those who don’t expose their lives the same way I respect those who choose differently. The only thing that matters, however, is the quality of work.

The reality is that despite a very polarizing personality (while most people don’t actually know him), Hedi’s work is strong enough that it can stand on its own.

I hate that thing of our times of people feeling entitled to everything.

I think a piece of opinion is always interesting but Imran’s one feels empty. Just maybe a little story he could have shared anonymously here on TFS.

Seriously, it would be quite hilarious if it turns out to be false.

"For better or worse, consumer-facing fashion shows, social media and cultural marketing that reaches a diverse, global audience have become part of a creative director’s job. None of these have been a priority for Hedi."
But who cares when Celine is a 2.5 billion euro brand, while Loewe and Jacquemus (the two other brands Imran focuses on and compares to Hedi's Celine) earn a small fraction of that?

Heaven forbid a designer (or any creative, for that matter) wants their work to be the focus as opposed to their ego-driven social media. A bit of mystery and reticence feel like true luxuries in today's vulgar, "put-it-all-out-there" culture. I wish there were more quiet personalities like Hedi in that regard.

Comparing Hedi with Simon is just laughable, they are truly different calibre. So what he is trying to say? The way HS work is no longer relevant for today in his point of view? (aka The "Business" of Fashion) to mention a picture getting almost 700k on IG is a huge triumph for a brand and getting Times 100 List is the most relevant accolades is just so narrow. Fashion today exists in more ways than that.

There are like 3 articles on BoF about Celine this week. Must be good for week traffic then. Go Imran goooooo.

It’s still not certain that Hedi is leaving Celine, but his departure would be a huge loss for LVMH. There’s no doubt he is an arch perfectionist, and his execution (including this week’s perfume launch and campaign) are always impeccable. But his perfectionism and his approach to communications are not a great fit for the way the fashion world is moving: real-time, digital, raw and open.
I really despise how fashion media keeps pushing for designers to turn into social media influencers. It's almost so they can live vicariously through them or recreate their heyday of the rockstar designer (that they can exploit for their magazines).

Also the comparison of Hedi, JWA and Jacquemus is very dissonant. Celine, Loewe and, to a lesser extent, JW Anderson are corporate houses with numerous lines and divisions, while Jacquemus is an wholly independent brand where the current designer is the founder of the house. The designer's personal life serves as the brand's storytelling, which works for the brand today, but will make succession 20 to 30 years down the line absolute hell.

5NWK2EISJ5FAPJJONRR7IPRDEU.jpg
This is the most recent image I could find of Hedi was from December 2022, after his Women's Winter 23 show at the Wiltern. Ironically, I sourced it from BoF.

I'm excited to try zouzou lol I wonder how masc/fem it'll be. Thankfully they opened a Celine store near me so I can just pop in and test it instead of ordering it online

So glad everyone's having the same reaction to that vapid 'article'. Is Imran suggesting that designers like Hedi be put out to pasture if they don't post their lives on social media like Jacquemus does? As @Lola701 said, I don't care how many followers a designer has, what matters is the quality of the product and the strength of vision. And I'd say that's how the majority of actual consumers feel too, despite all the comments and likes.

Also, the so-called transparency and relatability from designers that Imran craves is all part of a marketing schtick to sell more products. Carefully curated and meticulously planned, there is no such thing as 'truth' when it comes to multi-million dollar companies on social media, just a marketing budget. Fashion would do well to remember that SOCIAL MEDIA IS NOT REAL LIFE.

I really can't think of any other industry that puts as much weight on social media followings, likes and comments as fashion does. It's an industry that functions like a high school popularity contest. I'd argue that the reason we've been living in a mediocre era of fashion since 2014/15 is because of social media. Designers, photographers, models, editors are no longer chosen for their talent or vision, but for their social media followings, which they attain by appealing to the lowest common denominator. The hot new designer or editor or photographer's work has been vetted by the tastes of chronically online 17 year olds.

Anyway, what a strange and meaningless article from BoF. I guess they have to get the clicks somehow.

Last edited:
Looking a bit like Jean-Michel Jarre.

I worshipped him when he was at DH, never liked what he's done afterwards. Always felt vapid and soul-less. Actually like him more as a photographer than as a fashion designer, to be honest.

Let's see if those Chanel rumours are true. They've been circulating for a while in the industry (I remember first hearing about him going to Chanel almost 2 years ago...), so that's intriguing that it's gaining traction now... Chanel is such a beast. Might be his last move after all.

As @Lola701 said, I don't care how many followers a designer has, what matters is the quality of the product and the strength of vision. And I'd say that's how the majority of actual consumers feel too, despite all the comments and likes.

Also, the so-called transparency and relatability from designers that Imran craves is all part of a marketing schtick to sell more products.
I think the suits at LVMH and elsewhere share the view of the majority here. What Imran wants may be true for smaller brands but for the real powerhouses of the fashion industry, it is not needed. Dior, LV, Celine, Prada, Chanel, etc do not need their CDs to post every little detail about their lives on social media, they will sell regardless. The customers of these brands likely don't even know or care who the CD is, they just want to be seen in the brand.

This Hedi story had been the front page of BOF this weekend. Are they are using it to deflect from the real tragedy that is Kerring and Gucci?
If anything to steal the spotlight and attention because BOF love to write unflattering news on KERING/Gucci lol

Hedi with the current management team at Chanel is going to be a disaster, especially judging by the most recent interview with the Chanel CEO. Also, can you imagine him dressing Anna Wintour for the Met Gala?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->