"He's A Lady" Reality Show

SashaMarie

Reaction score
Recently a new reality show, "He's a Lady" came out (I believe on TBS). After work one night I manage to turn on my television to the first episode of the new reality-game show.

For those of you not familiar with the show, 11 men were picked to be on, "America's Macho-est man" (or something to that effect). When they got to the studios (all with their girlfriends or wives) the men were asked to leave, and it was revealed to their significant others, that which ever man can be the most convincing WOman, with trials and tribulations as living as a woman for a few weeks, would win $250,000.

All the men agree and soon they are wisked away from their loved ones to be waxed, plucked, and put through a make-over from hell. After they are fully clothed and "breasted", all 11 get to see themselves one by one for the first time, while being judge by 3 judges. At the end of the show, 7 are voted to stay and 4 to leave. The show ends with a preview to the drama that unfolds in the house that they are required to live in for the duration of the show.

(note: while in the house, they are allowed to be themselves, but if they step a foot outside of the house not fully "womanized" they are automatically disqualified.)

After watching this show, and cracking up over a few of the "she-men" I found myself confused on the direction that reality TV is turning. I was a fan of the Real World on MTV 5 Years ago. But I'm just curious on why the huge reality series boom at the moment.

:unsure: Discussion? :unsure:

Screenwriters are on strike until they find bigger and better inspiration in a bigger and better world, or a bigger and better salary in the world as it is.
It's our fault really, we could at least meet one of their demands.

I think the real question is, what has reality t.v. come to? It hasn't been real since before survivor came out and the Real World was still real........soap operas have more credibility as real then reality t.v.

everyone is trying desperately to contribute to popular culture that it's become an embarrasment

Originally posted by Spike413@Oct 25 2004, 03:12 AM
what exactly do you mean by that???
[snapback]406095[/snapback]​

I meant exactly what I implied.
There is no such thing as American Culture.

Celebrity worship, obesity, MTV, Wal-Mart, Krispy Kreme and 'Friends'?
Haha, what a joke.

If you can give me a good explanation of what this so called culture consists of, please, enlighten me. I'm always looking to learn new things.
I like the USA as much as the next guy, but come on.

Maybe the country contributes its fair share to POPULAR culture, but it certainly hasn't made any progress in the American side of things as of late.

But I've been proven wrong before, so I'll try to keep an open mind.
They'll have to be reeeally convincing arguements though, so make it good.

Originally posted by marcXcore@Oct 26 2004, 03:40 AM
I meant exactly what I implied.
There is no such thing as American Culture.

Celebrity worship, obesity, MTV, Wal-Mart, Krispy Kreme and 'Friends'?
Haha, what a joke.

If you can give me a good explanation of what this so called culture consists of, please, enlighten me. I'm always looking to learn new things.
I like the USA as much as the next guy, but come on.

Maybe the country contributes its fair share to POPULAR culture, but it certainly hasn't made any progress in the American side of things as of late.

But I've been proven wrong before, so I'll try to keep an open mind.
They'll have to be reeeally convincing arguements though, so make it good.
[snapback]406972[/snapback]​
Celebrity Worship? American? yeah, we don't hold the monopoly on that my friend.

That's such a narrowminded view of what America is.......scoff if you feel that that's what American culture is, but that's a highly offensive remark as far as I'm concerned, and I'm no die hard patriot either.

Originally posted by Spike413@Oct 26 2004, 01:42 PM
Celebrity Worship? American? yeah, we don't hold the monopoly on that my friend.

That's such a narrowminded view of what America is.......scoff if you feel that that's what American culture is, but that's a highly offensive remark as far as I'm concerned, and I'm no die hard patriot either.
[snapback]407309[/snapback]​

America basically invented Cinema and Jazz for starters.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Oct 26 2004, 02:06 PM
America basically invented Cinema and Jazz for starters.
[snapback]407330[/snapback]​
And jazz of course led to the birth of Rock and Roll, which then spawned many different sub-catagories worldwide.

And Hollywood! :woot: B)
Industries only do what'll make money, it's the same everywhere.

ps-I love this show. I don't care if people think it's total crap. The guys on it are hilarious. it's good ole tbs fun. It's interesting to see guys who wouldn't normally do this sort of thing, understand what it is like to be a girl ie-not always easy.

Originally posted by Spike413@Oct 26 2004, 02:42 PM

[snapback]407309[/snapback]​

I may agree a little on both standpoints, but it wasn't that narrow-minded to me

And I'm not going to get myself twisted and be all bentup out of shape about it, not to say that you are or anything of that sort :blush: . Hell that's what most of the world thinks of us anyhow, if not wanting to come over here just to make money and have the so called "American Dream"

Oh by the way, American Dream my ***. That sh*t wasn't promised to us Afro-Americans so in a way I can understand where marcXcore is coming from a little bit.

I hope I did not come off as bashing but I meant what I said about the last part. :brows: It will be another 40 to 50 years before we'll ever get to the same status as whites. Sad but true.. :cry:

Originally posted by kragirl@Nov 6 2004, 11:07 PM
I hope I did not come off as bashing but I meant what I said about the last part. :brows: It will be another 40 to 50 years before we'll ever get to the same status as whites. Sad but true.. :cry:
[snapback]421058[/snapback]​

kragirl...it may be longer if more of african americans don't get the hell out there and become more poilitically aware and active...we're sliding backwards here... all the minorities are going to have to stick together to make a majority...

and marcxcore...i believe that this reality tv would fall under the heading of'popular culture'...an area in which, as you have noted, the u.s. has made some contributions...

to get all high and mighty in a thread about a 'reality show' featuring men dressed as women which is clearly intended for laughs is rather ridiculous...no one is claiming it to be a great work of art...

perhaps the word 'popular'...should be inserted into the title... that would seem more appropriate... :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 7 2004, 12:45 AM
kragirl...it may be longer if more of african americans don't get the hell out there and become more poilitically aware and active...we're sliding backwards here... all the minorities are going to have to stick together to make a majority...

and marcxcore...i believe that this reality tv would fall under the heading of'popular culture'...an area in which, as you have noted, the u.s. has made some contributions...

to get all high and mighty in a thread about a 'reality show' featuring men dressed as women which is clearly intended for laughs is rather ridiculous...no one is claiming it to be a great work of art...

perhaps the word 'popular'...should be inserted into the title... that would seem more appropriate... :flower:
[snapback]421093[/snapback]​

But see that's the thing, most of us feel like it's all for nothing and we don't matter and the fact that so many of have been raised by people from the baby-booming generation or the generation before that where they pass ideas like that into our heads. And that since most from the baby-boomer generation, that were born black, tell stories of hardship and struggle during the C. Rights movement and that's why we young afro-americans from the x and y generations have a negative attitude towards politics since about 80% of Congress is filled with whites and have always been that way or the percentage may have been higher in the past. Ever since Martin and Malcolm were shot, there was this deep sense of "Why are we even bothering to fight if so many of us will not live to see any progres whatsoever?" If most of us knew about the electoral college system back in '00 there's a chance that many of us would have gotten off our ***es and voted for Gore. Though that may not be an excuse, still movies like Malcolm X, The Color Purple, Roots, and Amistad still give fire to those who don't give a rats'two sh*t about politics.

Originally posted by marcXcore@Oct 24 2004, 07:32 PM
American?
Culture?

Seems almost an oxymoron to me.
:lol:
[snapback]405826[/snapback]​

Maybe it's better if we don't put down people or cultures. :smile: :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member