Hilfiger drops Lagerfeld's line

Diorling said:
Uh.

So wait, Lagerfeld encourages the shutting down of his own business? He's not doing a very good job at saving face...

Yes, he is. I am sure the decision was not up to him, and it's better to say "I approve" then fight bitterly like Helmut, or stand by helplessly like Olivier.

cant honestly say ill miss it or even notice its gone but its still sad .. i guess some people will loose jobs over this etc.

pucci_mama said:
Jeezus so many labels shutting down latley.. fashion is not doing to good, is it?

Tell me about it. Even magazines are shutting down left and right.

only ONE season!!!...:lol:...
and after all the PR and going on and on about how he LOVES NYC..blah blah blah...

but it really wasn't very stron imo...
and technically it wasn't designed by him...
it was designed by melanie ward...

:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
only ONE season!!!...:lol:...
and after all the PR and going on and on about how he LOVES NYC..blah blah blah...

but it really wasn't very stron imo...
and technically it wasn't designed by him...
it was designed by melanie ward...

:innocent:

I know, how embarassing!

It wasn't strong, the menswear I saw was...not so good.

Yes, it really wasn't a strong collection. Also, it was priced far too high for the quality/innovation. Basically, it looked like the H&M collection, with slightly better materials and 10x's the price. Skinny black jeans and a white skinny button front and a black blazer. Yippee-dippee-do; there are about 10 different designers already driving that into the ground. And $295 for the jeans and $245 for the shirt and $595 for the blazer at about Express quality. No thanks.

I saw tons of it on sale at Neimans and even at half off I thought it was still overpriced and boring.

Glad its gone.

John

pucci_mama said:
Jeezus so many labels shutting down latley.. fashion is not doing to good, is it?

Fashion is always doing good. I think the question is more about why is the fashion line so expensive and not market correctly?

i think they were basing the idea on the success of the H&M collection actually---trying to capitalize on the mass market attention and name recognition he received by doing H&M...

but i agree - the pricing was too high and the pieces were too basic...
but his namesake collection has always been exactly that...
:lol:...
expensive and boring and repetetive...

You're right, softey.

A part of me is glad to see it fail because it means that consumers are a LITTLE bit smarter than just to pay for a glorified H*M collection just because it has Dame karla's name on it. Perhaps it will be a good learning experience for all involved (or perhas NOT).

John

Karl Lagerfeld has never done well with collections under his own name, I would never question His Abilities as i believe he is a great designer. But even thje great ones have weaknesses. i see a trend his his work that begs the question. Is he better at designing within specific parameters (that is to say houses that already have a specific heritage and identity that his job is basically to keep it fresh and relevant, as opposed to his own name where he has free reign and can do whatever he wants?.
technically speaking he does'nt really have a boss, as at Chanel and fendi, he does whatever he wants but, some people are better at working for others than they are running thier own business......................

It's a shame. I don't think he was able to put as much time or effort in to Lagerfeld Gallery. I would have loved to see designs that were more him and less Chanel or Fendi based.

pucci_mama said:

there are too many designers, too many clothing companies and too few customers, also many of the PPL who can afford to buy designer clothes (actresses/ actors, singers etc) are expecting to get clothes for free
it is extremely expensive to run a fashion company. also a lot of these so called designers are not properly trained, so they have to surround themselves with a plethora of PPl to help them get anything done. this escalates significantly the cost of the clothing because everyone has to get paid from the sale of the clothes.

here is a rough list of some the people who have to be paid from the sale of clothing/ fashion goods

creative director/ designer
pattern maker(s)
sample maker
stylist
administrative employees
assistant designers
design assistants
showroom/sales rep
public relations
magazine ads (for big companies)
fabric suppliers
factories (clothing, shoes, leather goods)
production managers
shipping companies
trim suppliers
fashion show production companies
models
phtographers
graphic artists (for lookbooks etc)

all of this could possibly be before you sold one item of clothing for $200 and all of these ppl must be paid from clothing /accessories sales
the problem is that most companies operate in the red for a few year hoping that with the growth of thier business they will eventually break even and become profitable. However there is no guarantee of this as a design company is often left to the mercy of store buyers with thier chargebacks, markdown money and all.
one bad collection and you could be out of business quickly.

i was actually warming up to that new york collection...
i was really starting to like to goat fur and the orange dresses at the end.

anyways..i remember hearing about this a couple of months ago. they'll still ship the collection, right?

and for what specific reason are they closing the label down? in the case of rochas, i'd say we analyzed that issue pretty well..
don't quite understand what the problem was in this case.:ermm:

Eh, I'm not exactly crushed. As many have said before me, it wasn't great (though, as Pastry mentioned, some of the final dresses were cute)

My main problem with the line was that it looked very Owens/Demeulemeester, which could have been due to styling or the clothes themselves....I don't know, but I think fashion can live without it.

he still has chanel, fendi and lagerfeld gallery under his helm. those are more formidable than the one he lost. this isn't as surprising or as emotional than rochas closing. now that was a loss. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiliesAreLovely
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->