HintMag interview with Rei Kawakubo

Spacemiu

Reaction score
You'd be excused for getting lost while shopping at any of the eight main Comme des Garçons stores around the world, not to mention the guerrilla pop-ups. It requires no small mnemonic feat to remember their hidden locations and a love of adventure to navigate their challenging layouts. Take, for example, the multi-floored Dover Street Market in London, with its maze of hallways and candy store-like selection, or the new Jan Comme des Garçons men's store in Tokyo (pictured here), named after its Belgian designer, Jan de c*ck, whose copious use of chipwood intentionally blocks each step. It's all worth it, of course. As anyone who's ever set out in search of conceptual fashion knows, the retail reward is in the journey, with the purchase a close second. Here, CDG designer and mistress of illusion Rei Kawakubo talks shop with Hint

Do you enjoy shopping? Of course. I like many, many kinds of stores, stalls, markets, anything strong and exciting and with something to say.

Which of your stores was the most challenging to realize? Dover Street Market because we did it with lots of other people. It is also my favorite, since it is the most ground-breaking.

dover.jpg

Do people go into the stores only to look at the design? I think so, yes.

Do you go to the architects with ideas for the stores? We don't work with architects anymore. I do it with my team of constructors.

aoyama.jpg

Which is closer to your heart, art or fashion? The breaking down of the barriers between these two things.
Do you consider yourself an international designer or a Japanese designer? Just a designer. Place of birth is an accident

perfume.jpg

Many designers design for the moment, but you seem to design a few steps ahead, or to the side. Does that come naturally? Anything really new always tends to be ahead of its time. Comme des Garçons stands for trying to do new things

paris.jpg

Your method is to work against the grain of fashion. Are you anti-elitist? We just try to do new things. That is the basic value of Comme des Garçons since the beginning, and until the end! It is not about elitism, or anti-elitism. We don't abide by the rules.

more on Hintmag.com

Thanks Space.

Quite enlightening,must say.

i haven't read it yet...but i'm so excited by the pictures...:woot:

More pics
Aoyama flagship - "labirynth" :-) store
aoyama2.jpg

New York, with the tunnel that make you "neither inside nor outside":-)

newyork.jpg

The brand new, and "limited" Jan CdG with Jan de c*ck. He designed Raf Simons stall in DSM. This place used to be the CdG 2 store (the orange door":-), Junya Happy Army and ColettemeetsCdG. I think this is the first ever CdG stand alone shop, but I might be wrong:-)

jan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I distinctly remember walking through that NYC boutique tunnel. It was quite an experience, especially after the unremarkable Soho store.

^ Yes...but it's worth keeping in mind that when the Soho store first opened, there were virtually no other retail spaces like it. CdG pioneered the minimalist look for fashion boutiques; it was only after that style had been mimicked to death that it became a cliché. Which I suppose is why CdG abandoned it...

I recall there was a brief flurry of outrage when Prada Sport took over the Soho space, and proceeded to change....nothing. :lol:

Thanks for the article Spacemiu. The old London store (Browns concession) looked unremarkable lately too, but i remember seeing it for the first time and being amazed (and very intimidated) by the minimalism.

The NYC tunnel is still there isn't it? Is that the only store in NYC?

droogist said:
^ Yes...but it's worth keeping in mind that when the Soho store first opened, there were virtually no other retail spaces like it. CdG pioneered the minimalist look for fashion boutiques; it was only after that style had been mimicked to death that it became a cliché. Which I suppose is why CdG abandoned it...

I recall there was a brief flurry of outrage when Prada Sport took over the Soho space, and proceeded to change....nothing. :lol:

agreed droogist...:flower:...and i remember the outrage...but they went out of business pretty quickly anyway...so there.!!.. :P

yes johnny...it's there...and it's still cool as hell... B)
other places sell cdg, but no place is like that...and in response to your query, it is the only cdg store in nyc...

softgrey said:
agreed droogist...:flower:...and i remember the outrage...but they went out of business pretty quickly anyway...so there.!!.. :P

yes johnny...it's there...and it's still cool as hell... B)
other places sell cdg, but no place is like that...and in response to your query, it is the only cdg store in nyc...

Thanks you for the info dear.:flower: Maybe I will see it "in the flesh" as it were later this year!

I asked a friend of mine to buy some perfumes for me in London few years ago. Gave him the Brook Str. add. but he went there 3 times until he finally got to rang the door bell. Then a man came out and asked what he was looking for:-D

The shop looked like it was closed, no light inside nor people present. That's why:-)

I'm going to Europe for three months at the end of the year - does anyone know where can I check out an open CdG store?

boomslang said:
I'm going to Europe for three months at the end of the year - does anyone know where can I check out an open CdG store?

54 Rue St Faubourg Honore Paris

18 Dover Street London

Plus some guerilla stores - Stockholm, Warsaw, Berlin, Copenhagen. Do a search and you'll get adresses.

Nqth, that's a funny story, but I'm not surprised. I used to find it very intimidating going in there until I got to know some of the staff. The doorbell thing was always a pain in the *ss. It was definately one of those places that the more sheepish you looked the harder it was - the trick was to look like you didn't care, breeze about the place, try on stuff etc... DSM isn't like that at all. I wonder if it was a Browns thing.... (I still find Browns a bit intimidating, staff not v nice).

is that by the bond st station? i went in there w/ a couple acquaintances, but i think i was too naive to be intimidated! it was the first and only time i saw comme clothes in the flesh..god they were gorgeous and outrageously priced!

The article says there are 8 major CdG store. But I only know 5. DSM, Paris red store, Paris perfume store, NY tunnel store, Aoyama store. not sure if the Jan CdG store counts. Can any one tell me the rest?

The Warsaw Guerrilla store is nice, although you have to look for it a bit and ring too. The staff always offers you some tea, and it is made with cute pot and cups the owner brought from his travels, Nepal if I remember right.

whizkit said:
The article says there are 8 major CdG store. But I only know 5. DSM, Paris red store, Paris perfume store, NY tunnel store, Aoyama store. not sure if the Jan CdG store counts. Can any one tell me the rest?

In Tokyo there is a store in Marunochi, Osaka and Kioto have their own stores, too. I will try to find some pics of them.

Kyoto:
http://tenplusone.inax.co.jp/project/pics2004/ws/en/ws_e_gg016.html

gg016.jpg
gg01601.jpg

http://www.wirtzgallery.com/works/wagner/2002/wagner_2002.html

cw_garcons2.jpg

cw_garcons1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members