How do you protect your fine wool items?

TrophyBrown said:
How do you store your wool items? Like, your favorite sweaters w/ thicker cables? Do you just fold them up and store it neatly, or, is it safe to hang it up, if you have the right kind of hanger, like a thick wooden hanger? Im afraid that if I hang it up, I might run the risk of contorting the shape of the shoulder & neckline portion...Any advice???

Thanks-me.

they will get longer and longer, unfortunately. I just fold them and put them in a box with moth balls. I always feel that cedar blocks are not toxicate enough for the moths so I use moth balls for long term storage and cedar block for my closet.

hmmm what are these clothes moths supposed to look like? im getting scared now i never really paid any attention to things like this. do they just start growing inside your vlothing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Caffeine! "Getting longer"..Yeah, I was afraid of that..
Cedar blocks? Moth balls? Oh my--sounds like its easier (and cheaper) to take care of myself than it is to care for my sweaters..:lol:

:flower:

If lavender really works, FWIW there are some wonderful lavender-scented laundry detergents and fabric softeners etc. (At times I've just thrown a cloth with some lavender essential oil in the dryer, when it's on minimal heat.)

TrophyBrown said:
Thanks Caffeine! "Getting longer"..Yeah, I was afraid of that..
Cedar blocks? Moth balls? Oh my--sounds like its easier (and cheaper) to take care of myself than it is to care for my sweaters..:lol:

:flower:

So true, TrophyBrown! AT least we don't need to be dry cleaned:lol:

As mentioned in the "What did you buy today" thread, I have stocked my closet with lavender sachets from l'Occitane. $8 apiece, and my closet now smells properly lavendery ^_^

Hey guys,

I wouldn't suggest using moth balls :yuk:. Not only does it smell funky, it's also pretty toxic to the body - it's made from naphthalene, which can potentially damage/destroy red blood cells :sick: . What's more, there is also evidence to show that exposure to the vapours increases carcinogenic activity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphthalene).

I'd only suggest to use natural repellants. Crabtree and Evelyn make a wonderful drawer liner that's infused with lavender. They also have a fabulous room spray ^_^ . I made little cushions and placed them in my wardrobe and sprayed the room spray onto it - looks AND smells great!!

Check out the site http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/

Another alternative is to buy dry lavender from health food stores :flower: , put them in envelopes and place them in your drawers or wardrobes. I know you can get ready-made ones from the Body Shop stores.

Lastly, storing the items themselves, I'd suggest neatly folding them, wrapping them in tissue paper and keeping them in the drawers with the lavender of course :D.

Hope that helps!! :wink:

I think even Target had *real lavender sachets* (cheap)... and also check Williams Sonoma maybe?

I stumbled across a tip as I was googling for cedar hangers (I know woodlore.com has great ones, but I'd like to avoid paying for shipping from the US as well as 25% customs...:(

You can catch moths by mixing 1 part treacle with 2 parts diluted acetic acid (I assume they mean 12-24%) and putting it in a margarine or yoghurt container.

Can't hurt to try if you ever need it...

wow, what an enlightening thread this is. i have never seen moths in my house, so i never really thought about the damage they could do to my sweaters and whatnot... but i guess just because i haven't seen them doesn't mean such creatures are absolutely no threat to my clothes! just to be safe, i am definitely going and getting some lavender for my closet and drawers tomorrow.

For scarves... I use plastic containers from the container store :P

the stinking moths ate three pairs of wool pants this season....
two coats and a cashmere skirt...
hammer.gif

not cute....:angry:

OMG! Bugs do what to wool!? D: I never knew this! I need to check my jackets now:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frikandel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->