How Does Everyone Afford All These Designer Items?

It obviously depends if you're talking about buying several designer pieces a week or just one rather expensive item in a month. Even people with much less than 3500€ a month can afford designer items every now and then if they're good at saving up.

I personally think 3500€ sounds reasonable. If I made that much in a month I could definitely get the things I wanted. Not fill up my wardrobe with Balmain pieces, but it's enough to save up for a designer bag and a pair of Louboutins, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say 3500€ without children.

I have to save every penny I have. But I have to admit, that I spend every single one of it on high-fashion clothing.
3500€? That's even more than our Prime Minister's salary.:ninja:

^No way. $3500 a month is roughly around $50k a year. (assuming I'm doing my calculations correctly).

The U.S. president gets paid $400k. Your prime minister's salary shouldn't be lower by 8 multiples.

A federal council in Switzerland gets paid $400k a year too, and we've got 7 of them :ninja: But I guess there are huge differences between nations. Just like a doctor can easily make $20k a month here while they would make only $3k a month in a neighbour country. But living standards are different everywhere too, so it's hard to generalize.

I said in my earlier post I'd be able to afford designer items with 3500€ a month, but come to think of it, I wouldn't be able to buy them here where I live because everything is much more expensive. I'd buy everything over the internet when it's on sale :innocent:

I am sure some perople are in debt, or they reserve their spending to designer pieces rather than other things.

I am sure some perople are in debt, or they reserve their spending to designer pieces rather than other things.

That's how I handle it. My computer is 7 years old, but I already bought a couple of designer items this year, which have the worth of 2 high-end computers. You gotta set priorities.

EDIT: I just have too add that I'm not in dept.

^No way. $3500 a month is roughly around $50k a year. (assuming I'm doing my calculations correctly).

The U.S. president gets paid $400k. Your prime minister's salary shouldn't be lower by 8 multiples.
No, it's true. His salary is 3002€ per month, it was all over the news a month ago.

It's not so much about what you ern if you have a good job... its about your commitments in life... I live with my husband... we both have good jobs and great company cars... so we have a lot of disposable income for clothes etc... some people have not got it so easy... even if they do have a good job... especially if they have kids... or dont get a company car! It's about how your spend and what on... I only really spend money on clothes and fashion... I dont have other expensive hobbies... but my husband plays golf for instance so there is a huge chunk of his money... Its about what you have when the monthly bills are paid... and not what you earn!

I don't own any designer items, unless you count my red Dooney & Burke bag and my red Ralph Lauren purse... I don't imagine I'd ever have the heart to spend every last penny on designer items, but I would definitely save up for certain pieces that I fell in love with.

Like, William St Girl said, I really think it all depends on circumstances. You can adore designer clothing and never own a piece if you have other commitments. I love fashion, but I will most likely never own a $2,000 purse or a $1,000 dress (at least not anytime soon). For me, it simply isn't practical. I'm still in high school and I have to worry about getting into college, then getting a degree, then finding a good job. While I might like to admire the clothing, I have yet to buy something designer (which may be or may not be expected of a fifteen year old American).

Reputable consignment shops! I bought a Chanel jacket for $350. My mom bought a Chanel lambskin for $500. Still quite expensive, but certainly discounted.

That's like around...$50,000 annual salary, which isn't that much.

The European system differs a lot from the ones in the US or Asia.
We pay high taxes which brings us a well-funded social security system. So everyone spends very little on for example medical care and personal insurance. My medical insurance cost me about 20EUR / 3 months, and it pretty much covers everything.
In the States, the salaries are much higher, but with less social well fare.

For someone who earns 3500 EUR after tax, it's definitely a comfortable income.

Like, William St Girl said, I really think it all depends on circumstances. You can adore designer clothing and never own a piece if you have other commitments. I love fashion, but I will most likely never own a $2,000 purse or a $1,000 dress (at least not anytime soon). For me, it simply isn't practical. I'm still in high school and I have to worry about getting into college, then getting a degree, then finding a good job. While I might like to admire the clothing, I have yet to buy something designer (which may be or may not be expected of a fifteen year old American).

Smart cookie, you are! There are a lot of high schoolers who are less level headed than you are and I think you're going to be a lot more successful than them. I went to a private school where a lot of the girls were gifted designer items for birthdays and holidays. These same girls also spent all their allowances on designer items. I'm impressed that at 15 you understand there are other priorities and commitments which are more important. It does make sense to splurge on something you love but even then, there is a limit.

Myself, I used to spend a lot more on fashion items than now. During college when I worked part time at clothing stores, ALL my funds would go to shopping and going out. I didn't save anything and even went into some debt. Now I have priorities like buying a house and saving up for my wedding. I'd rather those items than a designer dress or purse that may be "in" for a few years. Ocassionally I still buy an expensive item but I'm definitely a lot more discerning with my purchases now.

^ agreed, I wasn't so wise with my money at 15. Although thankfully I wore a school uniform throughout most of student years so that saved me from buying clothes - no chance to wear them anyway.

I love good quality items - not necessarily designer but usually not cheap! - and once I commited to buying a good pair of shoes there was no going back to cheaply-made substitutes and it became easier to resist giving in to cheaper things and saving for better things. The Outnet isn't dirt cheap but it's been a good resource for me - it puts quality clothing within my reach.

I will happily save for something I love rather than buy something not quite perfect - and everytime I spend big money on something I'll add at least half the money I spent into my "no touching" savings account. I also never max out my credit card. It's part of being fiscally prudent.

I also shop sales often - everything goes on sale eventually. If I miss out, I tell myself that I won't die from having one less item of clothing. Online stores also have good one-off sales (sometimes it's an extra 20%, free shipping, etc), and subscribing to their mailing lists is a good way to stay ahead.

Whether I'm paying full price or not, I think about every item carefully. After all, the money spent on mistakes could have gone to something I will love. Or at least, a excellent meal in a restaurant.

i get 1200 quid monthly from my parents for food and other stuff
that equates to 40 a day
but what i do is i eat cheap food, get monthly underground/bus pass
prob spend 15 a day at most
and save 25
and then blow all the money during sale time

Interesting discussion!

I think it is partial about making choices.

When I studied I really liked designer pieces, but I was really poor student, I had 200 euro's a month to spend on food, clothes, dinners and holiday's. So I took a job beside my studies, and I had only 2 free day's a month.
With that money I collected for items I really loved and tried to find them as cheap as possible. I found (before it became really populair) a Chanel 2.55 after one year searching for 600 euro's (now I could sell it for double)

Now I have a great job and I am lucky to buy almost anything I really want.
I've bought a lot of things I almost never wear from Zara and H&M because it was cheap. I calculated how much it was in total and realised I could have bought a amazing item.I buy 1 or 2 expensive things a month, only if I really love it. And a few cheap things, but only if I really like it.

I don't spend all my money on clothes.
I've bought a house all by myself and I even take care for my boyfriend, who is still studying and starting his own company, but he was the one when I was "poor" who bought me the things I couldn't pay for. So now I can pay him back.

Expensive things are especially nice for the person who is wearing them, because the biggest difference, you can only notice when you are really close and able to feel it.

I work full-time and live with my long time boyfriend.

I go for quantity vs quality (unless something looks obviously too cheap). I would rather have 10 tops for $50 vs 1 top for $50 but obviously depending on what top I want. If it's a $50 top I LOVE, then I'll buy it. I buy all my clothes from thrift stores, ebay, H&M, forever 21, urban outfitters...any where cheap. I'm very picky though. I take the time to search for what I want, instead of buying what I like/think is cute, I only buy what I LOVE ("no, I don't need this," "wow, this is unique!" etc etc). So that way I don't end up spending too much money.

the only way I will buy designer items is from a sale/thrift store. It's just too expensive for me to get a $2000 pair of shoes. the most expensive thing I own is a $350 pair of boots.

I would rather own 1 beautiful $3k dress than 10 $300 dresses that will break down in half a year so I tend to save alot for those special items I want. Also it helps that my parents earn quite alot, so I don't have to worry about food/rent/school fees etc, and most of my money goes towards clothes. However, I only pay in cash, because I've been taught to fear debt, so no splurging for me. :D

I would rather own 1 beautiful $3k dress than 10 $300 dresses that will break down in half a year so I tend to save alot for those special items I want. Also it helps that my parents earn quite alot, so I don't have to worry about food/rent/school fees etc, and most of my money goes towards clothes. However, I only pay in cash, because I've been taught to fear debt, so no splurging for me. :D

well, I think a lot of people will call a $3000-purchase a splurge!

You are very lucky that you are in a position where you don't have to worry about living costs (most of us will have to pay rent/mortgage/food...), which is great for you!

On the other hand, I think it's a bit exaggerated to claim that $300 pieces will "break down after half a year". I even have pieces from H&M that I wear and machine-wash for several years and are still in good shape.

I cannot afford designer clothes, i'm like more quantity vs quality sometimes, it depends of the garment too. If it's a classic item, like a white blouse, a pencil skirt or a coat, i like to spend more because I want that piece to last, but if i'm buying things i know i'll not wear in two years, I just buy it at forever 21 haha.

But that's just me, I'm still a graphic design student and I need to cover for a lot of expenses, and because sometimes I work with paint, glues and different materials, my clothes receive the worst damage you can imagine.

Someday... someday my closet will be full of Chloé and Chanel :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannah Ursula
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->