How Much Can an AVERAGE Model Expect to Get Paid? (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

One of my freinds went to Japan for modeling and got attacked the 5th day she was there.

She was only 17 at the time! I cant believe her mother let her go.

Poor soul is still afraid to leave her house because of the incedent. :(

Originally posted by Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 9:04 pm
sinneres: well, why should I go to japan on a contract with a agency and not work? I never said I didn't want to work, I'm just suprised that they would pay 10.000 and not put it on my accaunt, the agencies everywhere else let the models pay for every cent.

model_mom: I was 13 when I went alone to Milan for 10 dais :blush: I don't speak italian. I guess my parents just knew me well enough to trust me, I never got in any trouble, didn't go to the parties, never tried to seem lost, only asked for directions in a crowded place etc. and the agency looked after me and put me in a model appartment where there was a guard in the lobby and he was supposed to check on me, see if I came in late or came in at all. And age isn't everything, but what the person has learned and how mature the person is sais a lot, and going out there alone really helped me to learn to take care of my self and I'm really glad that my parents alowed me to go, but I had to pay a little prize... they were calling me constantly to check on me :innocent:
I was in Milano for 2 months when I was 15, by myself. I turned 16 two/three weeks later. Newly 16, might as well have been 15. I was crazy homesick the first week and could not believe my mom would let me go by myself.

But my parents know me, and they knew that I wasn't going to do anything extremely stupid.

It really depends on the girl.... :unsure:

Originally posted by model_mom@May 23rd, 2004 - 4:15 pm
How in the world can a 17 year old make it on her own, with the culture so different and the language barrier? How would you know what to steer clear of and what jobs to take? No amount of money in the world would be worth it if a young model got into a dangerous situation she could not get out of and had no one to turn to. :wacko:
My friend Lisa went to Japan to model. She had a minder (that's like a personal assistant) and a driver. She speaks Japanese really well though so she was able to do quite well. She got a skincare campaign and such that paid like 15,000. I think they look for quite plain caucasian girls in Japan because that's what a lot of asian girls aspire to look like.

Originally posted by CelineChic@May 23rd, 2004 - 9:04 pm
One of my freinds went to Japan for modeling and got attacked the 5th day she was there.

She was only 17 at the time! I cant believe her mother let her go.

Poor soul is still afraid to leave her house because of the incedent. :(
I'm shocked based on what I know about japan :shock:

I see girls daily in NY for whom this must be the equivalent of Tokyo for an American girl. They seem ok. Although I will never forget the poor girl I saw during the blackout who had clearly _just_ arrived to the city, had a paper with her castings written on it or something, and looked extremelly confused. :wacko:

On the topic of the models having a class action suit against the big agencies, you can get more info on:
www.elnr.com/class.html

That law suit has been settled and a lot of the big agencies already paid out a lot of money.

The state case may still be going though.

According to New Model Blog,Brazilian fashion show season starts next week and the following prices have been quoted for "Top International Models" to take part in the shows:

Daria W: US $ 150K
Eugenia Volldina: US 90K
Natalia Vodianova: US 90K
Hana S, Erin O'Conner and Elise Crombez:US $70K each
Gemma Ward: US $70K
Louis Pederson: US $30K

There is some doubt that the Brazilians will pay this, but who knows? :shock:

ah! i was just going to post that! :lol:

anyway, i'm assuming thats for the whole week? how many designers/shows would that include? because if that is per show, i am in the wrong business. :innocent:

japan is known for taking better care of their models than most other places. i am very excited to go there...

Originally posted by sashatheelf@Jun 15th, 2004 - 12:47 am
japan is known for taking better care of their models than most other places. i am very excited to go there...

Are you leaving this summer? :cry:

Originally posted by AlmostFamous+May 24th, 2004 - 4:57 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AlmostFamous @ May 24th, 2004 - 4:57 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Betty Boop@May 23rd, 2004 - 9:04 pm
sinneres: well, why should I go to japan on a contract with a agency and not work? I never said I didn't want to work, I'm just suprised that they would pay 10.000 and not put it on my accaunt, the agencies everywhere else let the models pay for every cent.

model_mom: I was 13 when I went alone to Milan for 10 dais :blush: I don't speak italian. I guess my parents just knew me well enough to trust me, I never got in any trouble, didn't go to the parties, never tried to seem lost, only asked for directions in a crowded place etc. and the agency looked after me and put me in a model appartment where there was a guard in the lobby and he was supposed to check on me, see if I came in late or came in at all. And age isn't everything, but what the person has learned and how mature the person is sais a lot, and going out there alone really helped me to learn to take care of my self and I'm really glad that my parents alowed me to go, but I had to pay a little prize... they were calling me constantly to check on me :innocent:
I was in Milano for 2 months when I was 15, by myself. I turned 16 two/three weeks later. Newly 16, might as well have been 15. I was crazy homesick the first week and could not believe my mom would let me go by myself.

But my parents know me, and they knew that I wasn't going to do anything extremely stupid.

It really depends on the girl.... :unsure: [/b][/quote]
I wouldn't be scared that my daughter would do anything, but I would be scared of what other people may do! You never know.

I didn't read what everyone else said, just a few flances - just in case it wasn't really answere d(although I am sure it was)

From personal experiance, as a fahion model.. I make nothing for editorials. I end up LOSING money after buying the magazines. (I remember when I was in Vogue L'Uomo it wa slike 30.00a c opy and EVERYONE wanted a copy of course.. thats when I told them to go buy it themselves hahah)

YOu make money off of your ad's or camapaigns. You can get campaigns that makeyou good money without them being Dior or Gucci.

So, personally, the way I make money is doing lookbooks, runway shows, ad's and oversea's 'campaigns' (Wjat I am talking about are usually small, and I would say 95% of the paid stuff I do doesn't end up in ym book) but it funds the lifestyle so you can continues being able to afford doing ediutorials.. then one day.. HOPEFULLY, you start booking DIOR, Chanel, VERSACE etc etc etc

Trust me, the "supermodels" arent starving.. for lack of money at least :wink: :wink:

reallym, if you have a good booker that truly cares about you - they will work thier butts off to make that you are making money. At least - that's what I have found in my experiance :smile:

Rachel

Originally posted by RachelWhittemore@Jun 19 2004, 08:52 PM
YOu make money off of your ad's or camapaigns. You can get campaigns that makeyou good money without them being Dior or Gucci.

So, personally, the way I make money is doing lookbooks, runway shows, ad's and oversea's 'campaigns' (Wjat I am talking about are usually small, and I would say 95% of the paid stuff I do doesn't end up in ym book) but it funds the lifestyle so you can continues being able to afford doing ediutorials.. then one day..

Rachel
[snapback]291472[/snapback]​

Very interesting information, Rachel! Actually, this is a very fascinating subject that I'm terribly interested in. :blush:

How much would a model make off of doing a commercial campaign, for Gap or Guess or Mac and Jac per season? Would she make about $20,000 if she "starred" as the main female model of that campaign?

And what are lookbooks anyway? :blink:

Until recently, I was making educated guesses about what some of my big-er, not huge, model friends were making. Surprise, surprise, she only made $700 shooting the D&G campaign. I made more when I shot for KMart!!!! Major ad campaign does NOT equal money!!!!!!!!!! She made most of her money for a catalogue. And every top model making money isn't making it from her shows. Maybe her campaigns, a little. Unless you have a contract with a company, like Lonneke Engel for Ralph Lauren, she's under an exclusive contract with Ralph Lauren. She's making a pretty penny.

I've learned the secret, ASIAN ADVERTISING!!! As a model you never see it, unless you travel to asia, or flip through asian magazines. You won't believe their day rates. A model just starting out who books a korean advert makes at least $5000. My friend sarah has a higher day rate because she has shot D&G and editorials everywhere, and she shot 4,5, or 6 asian advertisements this summer. Uh huh, that's where she's making her money.

This summer, I had castings for Korean advertisements everyday for the month of July. Sometimes twice/three times a day. Almost everyone I knew new/older models shot a korean advertisement. All my new models friends were able to pay off the debt and all. I shot two Korean adverts, good fun! We were all very excited! haha If you were in NYC and didn't shoot an asian advertisement, or didn't see anyone for Korean advertising..there's a major problem there.

Its official, everyone makes their money in asia.

The Asian market is where so much money comes from right now! Whether going to Japan on contract or shooting Korean lookbooks in NY... The pay for D & G, CK One, and some others is abominable. But the exposure from it obviously sells you "oh you know xyz, shes the _____ girl" (well, your booker can sell you this way easily!). That and you get to work with a big photog... There are still some campaigns that could provide MAJOR pay :shock: especially for an exclusive. I know of some big paydays on campaigns... :innocent:

Originally posted by funnyfan@Aug 16 2004, 03:47 AM
Very interesting information, Rachel! Actually, this is a very fascinating subject that I'm terribly interested in. :blush:

How much would a model make off of doing a commercial campaign, for Gap or Guess or Mac and Jac per season? Would she make about $20,000 if she "starred" as the main female model of that campaign?

And what are lookbooks anyway? :blink:
[snapback]333872[/snapback]​

The amount made off a campaign varies wildly. Sometimes the more prestige a campaign carries, the lower the pay! It can be much more than 20,000... or much less...

Lookbooks are more or less "catalogs" with photos of all the "looks" in a designers collection- like each look sent out on the runway- often only one model is used. They get sent out to major customers ie boutiques, department stores etc by the designer to try to get them to carry pieces from their collection, sent out for PR etc. Most people never see these.

Maybe somebody knows who exactly they are usually sent out to.

Originally posted by model_mom@Jun 14 2004, 08:34 PM
According to New Model Blog,Brazilian fashion show season starts next week and the following prices have been quoted for "Top International Models" to take part in the shows:

Daria W: US $ 150K
Eugenia Volldina: US 90K
Natalia Vodianova: US 90K
Hana S, Erin O'Conner and Elise Crombez:US $70K each
Gemma Ward: US $70K
Louis Pederson: US $30K

There is some doubt that the Brazilians will pay this, but who knows? :shock:
[snapback]287351[/snapback]​

These models get paid that money becasue they do a major amount of catwalk in al lthe major cities and shows so they are considered on a celebrity level. There was an article one time saying that Natalia Vodianova got flown to Greece for a fashion show just for the pay and service she would recieve in Greece during the show. Karolina Kurkova also makes mucho money in Spain becsaeu she is like a celebrity there.

As for Asian advertisement it seems after looking through some major Asian campaigns Jessica Stam, Maria Carla Boscono, Jacquetta Wheeler, Hana S., Heather Marks and Elise Crombez are everywhere.

Originally posted by foxinthesnow@Aug 16 2004, 07:11 PM
The amount made off a campaign varies wildly. Sometimes the more prestige a campaign carries, the lower the pay! It can be much more than 20,000... or much less...

Lookbooks are more or less "catalogs" with photos of all the "looks" in a designers collection- like each look sent out on the runway- often only one model is used. They get sent out to major customers ie boutiques, department stores etc by the designer to try to get them to carry pieces from their collection, sent out for PR etc. Most people never see these.

[snapback]334799[/snapback]​

lookbooks are sent to magazine editors and buyers and stylists...i get them all the time...

daria 150k!!!!!!!! you must be kidding me

i cant believe that agencies can charge that much

Originally posted by foxinthesnow@Aug 16 2004, 07:11 PM

Lookbooks are  more or less "catalogs" with photos of all the "looks" in a designers collection- like each look sent out on the runway- often only one model is used. They get sent out to major customers ie boutiques, department stores etc by the designer to try to get them to carry pieces from their collection, sent out for PR etc. Most people never see these.

[snapback]334799[/snapback]​

Thanks for answering my nosy questions. :blush:

So the more prestige a campaign has, the less money the model makes? The fashion industry has a really strange way of doing things! :lol:

But I think I understand what you're saying. Basically, a model takes on low-paying editorials and low-paying/high-prestige campaigns in ORDER to secure the high-paying/low-prestige campaigns? Kinda paradoxical but that does sort of make a twisted sense! :wacko:

It's just funny to realize that some "commercial" models might be making more than regular high fashion ones! :doh: :P

So... let me just pull out the resume of my favorite model, Megan Ewing. I'm leaving out all her magazine work and video work, since she likely didn't get paid much for that anyway.

Megan Ewing's Resume:

Advertisments:
Aeropastale (1+ advertisements)
Cat (1 campaigns)
Guess (2 years, 6 campaigns)
La Perla (1 campaign)
Mango (1 campaign)
Skiny (1 campaign)

Catalogs:
Abercrombie and Fitch (1 catalog)
Freeman of London (1+ catalogs)
Newport News (1 catalog)
Otto (2+ catalogs)
Victoria's Secret (3+ catalogs)

(You can view almost all of this work at MeganEwing.net, btw.)

Exactly how much of a fortune must she have amassed from all of that? I'm assuming we're talking in the thousands here... 50,000? 100,000? 500,000? (Okay, the last one is aiming waaaaaaaay too high...)

Please satisfy my curiousity! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->