i-D ‘The Post Truth Truth Issue’ 2019 by Willy Vanderperre, Mario Sorrenti & Mert & Marcus

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Cover #1, FKA Twigs by Willy Vanderperre:

The first issue under new EIC Alastair McKimm.

Very boring. More of the same and she doesn't look as good as she used to look.

I'm such a fan of FKA Twigs and I think she looks great here.

I like how her expression is the most literal copy of the i-D symbol that I've seen for some time on the cover. No fancy gimmicks, no shadows, no hiding behind a hand - she's just doing 'the face'. Eye closed, mouth open.

Isn't every issue of ID about renaissance, about the 'who's in now'? Such a played out theme for your debut issue. I don't even think the readers will notice they've got a new chief in town based on these covers. That's how generic they are.

What's so odd about the actual shots is that you'd never guess who shot them.

I love FKA twigs and I think her cover is stunning. Not everyone can pull off the wink and the open mouth tbh like she does here.

FKA Twigs couldn’t take a bad photo if she tried, so her cover works by default. Kevin and Mona have no such luck.

Also, I’m sort of sick of how ubiquitous multi-cover issues are these days. It seems a month can’t go by without a handful of titles releasing multiple covers for no absolutely reason. There’s often a clear standout cover, making the others feel a bit underwhelming by comparison. As a subscriber, when I inevitably get one of the lesser covers, I can’t help but feel cheated.

Post truth truth is just dumb

I do want to applaud i-D for proclaiming Mona “THE model of the moment”. I’m not sure what parameters they used to come to that conclusion, but it definitely wasn’t social media based, which is refreshing. She only has about 6k followers on Instagram.

Post truth about what?? The FKA Twigs cover is great tho.

So bland.. It could be any issue of i-D, it could be photographed by anyone, it could be styled by anyone.. It's not necessarily bad but considering this is supposed to be a renaissance issue, it is. The only thing I save is FKA: what a face!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamballe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->