Stormzy
Photography Oliver Hadlee Pearch.
Styling Max Clark.

Anna Ewers
Photography Mario Sorrenti.
Fashion Director Alastair McKimm.

i-d.vice.com

I love these!!

Who's the game-changer? What's the game that's being changed? Or have they just momentarily run out of themes? Because I'm not aware of any chronic under-supply of urban musicians or Germanic models.

Beautiful Anna's cover and then, they also hide one eye of the guy on the t-shirt, ah ah, brilliant !

Who's the game-changer? What's the game that's being changed? Or have they just momentarily run out of themes? Because I'm not aware of any chronic under-supply of urban musicians or Germanic models.

Rip it up and start again! In The Game-Changing Issue, we celebrate the return of DIY culture in music, fashion and art, and meet the talented stars trailblazing this movement.

In The Game-Changing Issue of i-D we meet Stormzy; one of the leading voices in Britain's biggest underground music scene and the south London grime MC whose self-made rise to the top is an inspiration to everyone everywhere. i-D Features Director Hattie Collins has been following grime since its inception, first documenting it on the pages of i-D in 2005, and recently releasing the scenes' definitive tome This Is Grime with photographer Olivia Rose. "You could spend hours trying to distill the secret of Stormzy's success," she says. "The music is first and foremost a brilliant blend of chant-worthy one-liners teamed with straight spraying that has won him the love of students, grime heads, pop fans and his contemporaries. He's one of the leading voices in the most important British subculture since punk." With Skepta winning the 2016 Mercury prize for Konnichiwa, this year grime is finally getting the recognition it deserves, and much to Hattie's joy Stormzy has the honour of being the first grime MC to appear on the cover of i-D.

The same DIY spirit and yearning for authenticity is evident in fashion too. Raf Simons - one of the most influential designers of the last twenty years - continues to defy expectations, celebrating his love for the arts in his Robert Mapplethorpe menswear collection, modelled here by Anna Ewers. Like Raf, Rick Owens has built an empire out of his wholly inspirational and independent approach, this season showing his most sublime collection yet, beautifully captured by Mario Sorrenti and Alastair McKimm. Demna Gvasalia is another designer going against the grain and enjoying monumental success as a result. His appointment at Balenciaga was a revolutionary move by Kering that showed that fresh thinking and new blood are exactly what this industry needs. While over at Pringle, Fran Stringer - in one short season - has brought a startling modernity to one of the world's oldest brands.

With no shiny packaging or polished social media feeds, our portfolio of young actors proves that true talent always wins through in the end. In a series of intimate portraits, Alasdair McLellan meets Joe Alwyn, the young Londoner plucked from obscurity to star in Ang Lee's highly anticipated Hollywood blockbuster Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk Home. Dallas native Sasha Lane shoots to fame in American Honey, and 22-year-old Brit Charlie Heaton hits the big time for his starring role in Stranger Things, the Netflix series that's spooked us all. We also chat to Dev Hynes, whose third album as Blood Orange, Freetown Sound - a cacophony of melody and personal meditation - is his most beautiful and accomplished work yet. London's clubs may be closing down (Fabric RIP), but NY's nightlife is still going strong as we meet the new generation of kids, queers and queens burning up the dancefloor.

In The Game-Changing Issue of i-D, you don't need a million + Instagram followers, a big shot record deal or an LA agent to make it big or connect to your audience. The internet has spurred the return to a DIY culture not seen since the 80s, enabling us all to make music/art/films from our bedroom and speak directly to our fans. The stars in this issue are so bright you can see your shadow, read their stories and get inspired.

Holly Shackleton for i-d.vice.com

So it's actually the DIY issue, as they repeatedly mention in the write-up. I suppose they went for the more glamorous term of 'game-changing' because DIY sounds very B&Q. Either that or self-love, but if that sort of DIY were the theme, at least circulation figures would certainly increase.

Anna's cover is GORGEOUS. Really wish they would have had the conviction to let that be the only cover - but we are in the pandering times....there must be something for everyone. I'm really so over multi-covers...especially when one stands above the rest.

Anna's reminds me of old The Face covers, but at the same time it doesn't look like a rehash or a poor imitation. Just a great looking cover. Can't even remember the last time I liked an i-D cover!

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. Both are so boring. Even Anna's cover is weak.

Wow,the first cover is really quite atrocious! I'm no even interested to find out who the guy is. They couldn't refine it a tad more, the angle, styling?

Anna's cover is nothing special as well. There better be more covers, their content have been getting better, albeit at a snail's pace.

Cover without Text

tumblr/wearesodroee

Wearing Your Art On Your Sleeve

Model: Anna Ewers
Photographs by Mario Sorrenti
Styled by Alastair McKimm
Hair by Ward
Makeup by Diane Kendal
Nails by Honey
All clothing by Raf Simons S/S 2017

i-d.vice

Brave New World

Photography: Mario Sorrenti
Model: Binx Walton
Styling: Alastair McKimm
Hair: Duffy
Make-Up: Kanako Takase
Clothing: Rick Owens - Mens & Womenswear

awake-smile.blogspot.fr

Photography: Alasdair McLellan
Model: Estella Boersma
Fashion Editor: Benjamin Bruno
Hair: Matt Mulhall
Make-Up: Linsey Alexander

fattongue

Does Binx have a cover? That story is so strong!!

Binx's story is fantastic. She isn't serving much face, but the posing is so dynamic and really gorgeous.

Does Binx have a cover? That story is so strong!!

Yes her story is amazing ! But she doesn't have a cover.

"I Want To Dive Into Your Ocean"

Photographer: Colin Dodgson
Stylist: Francesca Burns
Hair: Alex Brownsell
Model: Kiki Willems

imgmodels

Photographed by Angelo Pennetta
Styled by Julia Sarr-Jamois
Hair by Rudi Lewis
Makeup by Lotten Holmqvist
Model Mica Arganaraz

dnamodels