I want to Work for a Designer ... How Can I Make this Happen?

GWOD

Reaction score
I'm just about to finish high school and have been thinking about sending my portfolio around to some fashion houses/designers to see if I get a reply.. just for the hell of it :P.

However, I was wondering how you would actually go about doing this?
I mean... would you just randomly send off your portfolio with a résumé attached? Or would it be better to explain that you are desperate and inexperienced and will take any job they have to offer? And would they EVER really give someone a job who has no experience whatsoever even if they display talent in their portfolio?
Although then again all the most prominent places probably get a million portfolios a day and would know what to look for by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really heard of the approach of sending your portfolio's in and out to different design houses, I always just though you worked your way up and just move on with the different contacts etc that you know and who can get you places.

I doubt they would give someone a job just because they were "desperate" and had no experience. Many people want to work for them so they probably only choose from the best.

Posts moved to start a new thread about this topic.

If you want to be a designer at a fashion design company ... perhaps design school should be in your future ... which is the recommended way to learn what you need to know. And then, internships are the next step (usually unpaid and usually for fashion school credit). to learn more about internships and how they work there are these threads:
All About Internships and Work Experience Placements
All about Resumes / CV's and Cover Letters for Jobs and Internships

If you are just looking for a foot in the door ... just to get any job, such as reception, clerical, assisting someone .... I'm not sure they'd need to see your portfolio. It's grunt work at best and being creative is not a requirement. Being a good worker with a good attitude is probably more important.

It's probably like so much of this industry, as superbeautiful says ... you have a way better chance if you know someone ... have some connections. But ... they hire regular workers for entry level jobs, just like other kinds of companies ... so search their web sites and see if they have any info about hiring, contact their human resources departments to ask if they have openings and to see what they need with an application.

Perhaps someone here is working for a fashion house and might be able to tell us how they got their job ... and what it is. You have to start somewhere .....

As long as they could use you for something, then they could hire you ...

er I work for a local label, making prints on clothing
and I didn't bring a portfolio (since I don't design for them... and tastes are different)
I went to school for it, but they just needed someone who could use and understand the machinery they had. I think another prints person there has no textile background
Anyway I just demonstrated in front of them that I could use the machines

Then instantly hired :woot:

So if the position you want is design, it's important you have schooling because there are many aspects you need to know to put things together and they would lose money spending time training you

As superbeautiful and BetteT said about working your way up,
I did come in, starting off with print work
but now I also figure out the patterns, manage inventory, make sample books and edit prints (and learning to use industry software)
So imagine a CV starting to fill up ^_^

Plus I like to be curious and now want to get into the sewing dept also :lol:
I want to see how they put the garments together
with all the industrial machines and that interesting serger

To be honest I actually asked them after a while if I could try the other jobs they had there instead of making prints all the time :o
You'd have to judge your boss to see if that would be fine lol

So it seems like entry level work is actually pretty worthwhile
There are a lot of things I've never seen before
the way things are stocked, etc.
Gives me ideas about how to succeed if I start my own business

My first job at 16 was at an actual manufactoring company, and it was a family hook up. I worked all summer just clipping threads and cleaning up the sewing work, and packaging, and finally, I was able to try the industrial machine for the first time.

I got paid the lowest and I worked my way up to finally trying the machine, but fashion is a job where you really have to work your way up because you really need to know your stuff before moving on to the next step because that step will incorporate what you have done before.

I think its almost impossible to "knock" designer, to find job by sending portfolio or CV. Imagining you at their place - thay are always in producing process, always busy, no time to read each resume' (im sure that recieve a lot). You should demonstrate somehow thay they need you and nobody else, that you have incredible knowledge etc.

I live in Ukraine, in enough big city, my parents were tailors too and im going same way. Here very popular between teenagers and adults (mostly female) to visit shops of materials and accesorises, find good tailor and order something you create in mind. I mean always proving your skills, advice by advice you can find your clients and your business can grow. Even without special education in fashion. Is situation similar in Europe and USA? Can common tailor (with really good skills) find interesting job not only by reparation designers' clothes but creating something own? Or its empty idea? Should have education and create brand?

I work with a lot of designers, I know too many to count. Optimally (imo) you go to a two year school with a vocational bent. That'd include FIT; it's a two year program. Still, that's not the only way. I knew a girl who had absolutely ZERO experience just out of high school who ended up getting hired (as an assistant to the designer) because she kept coming back over and over and over and over again. After awhile, they got tired of saying no and frankly, it's dogged persistence that makes you valuable to an employer because the work can be very long and taxing. Someone who had the balls to keep coming back after they told her to get lost showed she was persistent. She ended up working out really well (after she got knocked around a bit).

Also, a lot of people here tend to dream of working with big names. It rarely happens, you need a track record of working in the trenches, doing dirty work and earning your stripes. Something that shows you're willing to work hard under less than optimal conditions. Don't overlook working for a "no-name" designer. They pay better than a lot of the big names. It's not that there aren't jobs available; designers are always looking to hire. There's just usually a disconnect btwn the applicant (with stars in their eyes) and the job duties.

^thanks, that helps a lot.

Ive put together a portfolio of handdrawn designs and stuff but I dont know how to approach designers. And I have no experience so im really scared theyre gonna laugh at me and tell me to piss off. But I REALLY wanna start working for a designer, what should I do?

It must be important too, no.. if you do get hired at a design studio for entry-level work that you should have your goals in mind...
like, to see if working with the designer would be worthwhile...
if there is even a possiblity of working your way up
or what kind of things are you hoping to gain/learn from at your job...

What does everyone think about this?

great thread, btw.

You know, Squirzee...I find that the fashion industry will always be old-school in many respects. A LOT of positions are filled through word-of-mouth..so it's also the most intimate of all businesses. The fashion world is small.

I had a job as a design assistant for a year, got through interning for a couple of months...the internship was obtained by complete chance. So my advice is to:

-have goals in mind..really really want it
-consider interning for free first
-if you're good at what you do, you will be noticed and rewarded
-as little attitude as possible, but do not be shy...for all its traditional practices, the pace is very fast, you have to be quick on your feet. Actually, I'd say that's the most prized character trait in this field.

Good luck!

Thanks Pastry! Thats really helpful. The only problem is internships are always given to fashion graduates and people as such. Therefore I have a pretty small chance of getting in an as an intern...

That's not true.. Just be specific and know what you want and go for it..
I never say I went to any certain school for anything and I've met and also was directed to many different people.. The other week this lady was lending me some of her equipment, and I was a stranger then. Offered me studio space for an event next month even
Just showing them you're very interested is proof enough.. Up to you how to show that interest :P

Sometimes I wonder if there is an advantage for a guy who is in fashion since it's not too common , people seem to think right away you stick out that you would take sewing classes all alone with a bunch of old women and so on

^Thanks so much guys, you're really really helpful. I think I have more confidence in applying for a job or something.

How do you work for a designer (doing styling/image/pr)?

Not to be too cliche here, but my dream job is Whitney's (from The Hills) new job at Diane Von Furstenburg. I hate bringing it up to people because everyone thinks I just want to do it because of the show, but it's always been a goal of mine. Problem is, I have NO idea how to get into something like that. I'm assuming someone's only shot is by networking, but I'm not sure. Do places like that post job listings anywhere? Or is it basically a referral type thing? I already have a bachelors degree, PR experience (at an entertainment firm), as well as styling experience.

I'm starting my masters degree in fashion merchandising come this summer and I'm hoping I can get some good internships from school, but other than that, I'm stumped.

i think your going the right way, internships are your beesst bet. start anywhere and work your way up. good luck. its not that hard!!

Not to be too cliche here, but my dream job is Whitney's (from The Hills) new job at Diane Von Furstenburg. I hate bringing it up to people because everyone thinks I just want to do it because of the show, but it's always been a goal of mine. Problem is, I have NO idea how to get into something like that. I'm assuming someone's only shot is by networking, but I'm not sure. Do places like that post job listings anywhere? Or is it basically a referral type thing? I already have a bachelors degree, PR experience (at an entertainment firm), as well as styling experience.

I'm starting my masters degree in fashion merchandising come this summer and I'm hoping I can get some good internships from school, but other than that, I'm stumped.

Well I don't watch the Hills too often so I'm not totally sure what Whitney's job is but I have just recently finished an internship in the PR office of one of the LVMH fashion brands in Paris and have been offered to go back there full time in May after I finish my degree so maybe I can offer some insight!
For me, I was completely lucky, I got the internship through a friend, then worked my *** off the whole four months I was there and they liked me a lot hence offering me the job. To be honest though I think I could have found an internship in Paris had I actively looked for one, I just never thought I would have the right experience as I dont study anything fashion related at all. That being said, internships in France are highly regualted etc and advertised so I think it's possible if you are enthusiastic enough to always find SOMEONE who is willing to take a chance on you. As for the States, I'm not so sure, maybe someone there can better help you out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screenstarmakeup
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->