Is Cheap Chic going to eat itself?

^^ i guess it comes down to do you want lots of cheap things or a few more expensive things that will last

its possible to get things (relatively) cheap that are ethical too. american apparel is justo ne brand that does not exploit employees and makes all their clothes in the us.

it is unreasonable to think that cheap chic will ever go away. it will be around for a lot longer than designer labels, just look at issac mizrahi. in general, cheaper clothes brands make more money than any designer label. forever 21 makes more money than balenciaga, im sure. and as long as they offer cute things with low prices, people are going to buy. so in that sense, its never going to go "out"

it may become taboo for people of the fashion crowd (i dont know if thats what you are refering too), but in general, nope, not going away

^Very true and to be honest, I think it's rather unrealistic to ask people to fork out that extra bit of money for the sake of ethics IF they can't actually afford it. It's really down to the companies to change their policies and enforce them and be very strict with their suppliers. People shouldn't be made to feel guilty for their cheap chic purchases.....

i totally agree. but the only reason brands will change is if people stop buying them and i relaly dont think they would in great enough numbers.

but i still believe it is possible to be economical and ethical.

^ ethical is adult wages on antional scale.. most production (including luxe) is now done outsourcing, so one has to face the delema, and the scales are going against cheap/exploit or rich/exploit.. local IS global, just dont buy trash people, it doesnt worth it, blood fashion will never be chic and local produced items will always cost more (but also keep local companies going)

i agree that mass brands may make more than balenciaga, regarding the trsh they sell, but this is not what we are discussing here
global statistics show a slight (but VERY significant) consumer decline towards the ephemeral product, some people had already enough of cheap/expensive spending (this is not coming out of my belly, these are official eu stats )

If you think American Apparel doesn't exploit it's workers, you've got to be kidding me. Better wages doesn't equal better conditions. Money isn't everything, as cliche as it may sound. Buying to assuage guilt is what I think a lot of AA purchases are. Woo, I'm such a moral person because I buy AA or designer. Are you really?

I find a lot of the views in this threat frankly a little nose-in-the-air. Do you honestly think that just because you fork over $400 for a pair of shoes or $1000 for a bag, it makes you more ethical than those who shop the high streets? Not at all. Just because you have the money to do so, doesn't mean you can judge others. Instead of condemning those who shop cheap, why not DO something about it? Do you ever think WHY it is that some people cannot afford the designer items that some of you guys think are so sweatshop-free? Even if they saved up? And really, is it honestly fair to expect someone to save for a month for ONE pair of shoes rather than buying a wardrobe? It's not so simple as "well, expensive = quality. so buy expensive."

I know I'm talking to a brick wall whenever I enter into discussions like this, but I really think that sometimes we justify our actions and condemn those of others a little too much. And also, fail to view all aspects of the situation. Everything is not BLACK and WHITE.

Once we surpass peak-oil production in the next 20 or so years, the world will get real big again, and quickly. The problem of mass-market will have solved itself (you can't sell cheaply what you can't ship cheaply)*, and I sincerely hope the powers-that-be are busy devising a soft landing into this brave new world. The problems we face are much greater than feeling yucky and/or self-righteous when you think about how your clothes are made. I'm much more worried about food & water distribution than how I'll be able to afford my gladrags. Ideally, we will ease into a pleasant regionalism where most of our food, clothing, and other life's necessities are locally produced. And, you know, we'll all be holding hands and singing. :wink:

*also, you can't manufacture cheaply when you can't have the raw materials shipped cheaply. And you can't manufacture cheaply when everyone's dying of thirst and starving to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
ellesea said:
Do you honestly think that just because you fork over $400 for a pair of shoes or $1000 for a bag, it makes you more ethical than those who shop the high streets? Not at all. Just because you have the money to do so, doesn't mean you can judge others. Instead of condemning those who shop cheap, why not DO something about it? Do you ever think WHY it is that some people cannot afford the designer items that some of you guys think are so sweatshop-free? Even if they saved up? And really, is it honestly fair to expect someone to save for a month for ONE pair of shoes rather than buying a wardrobe? It's not so simple as "well, expensive = quality. so buy expensive."

I know I'm talking to a brick wall whenever I enter into discussions like this, but I really think that sometimes we justify our actions and condemn those of others a little too much.

who said buy 'designers'? who said that "well, expensive = quality. so buy expensive."...
we are discussing cnsumer trends not personal opinions, the new trend is for people to think before they spend thats all.
eg. Fair trade products (anything from coffee to sportjackets) is not designer and is not expensive either
consious spending its a marketable, niche mental frame on the rise, thats a fact. The decision to jump on this badwagon or the decision to support sweatshop/cheap products its up to each one of us, clear as that.

mellowdrama: Ideally, we will ease into a pleasant regionalism where most of our food, clothing, and other life's necessities are locally produced.
you can't manufacture cheaply when you can't have the raw materials shipped cheaply. And you can't manufacture cheaply when everyone's dying of thirst and starving to death.

agreed, there are too many political/economic issues related to cheap/expensive retail prices, transportation is china's biggest hard-to-solve issue at the moment, too many cheap product orders, too few ships/cargo planes to deliver.
Plus chinese & third world products will soon get more expensive, workers are getting fed up to earn pennies so the western consumer can afford 'cheap' products in his everyday life. As for 'local workforce' they are getting angry for losing their jobs, anger due injustice is building from both sides.
so those with no 'ethical issue' go out and buy those dirt cheap imported items while the party lasts, cause it wont continue for much longer :ninja:

Lena said:
agreed, there are too many political/economic issues related to cheap/expensive retail prices, transportation is china's biggest hard-to-solve issue at the moment, too many cheap product orders, too few ships/cargo planes to deliver.
Plus chinese & third world products will soon get more expensive, workers are getting fed up to earn pennies so the western consumer can afford 'cheap' products in his everyday life. As for 'local workforce' they are getting angry for losing their jobs, anger due injustice is building from both sides.
so those with no 'ethical issue' go out and buy those dirt cheap imported items while the party lasts, cause it wont continue for much longer :ninja:
...if China dumps its share of US Treasury Bills, more than one party will be ending. From the Washington Post Sept. 2005, Peter Goodman writes:

"China now holds more than $700 billion in foreign exchange reserves -- the second-largest reserves after Japan -- with roughly one-third parked in U.S. Treasuries and another one-third in other dollar-denominated assets such as corporate bonds, according to state economists.
China has amassed this huge stock of dollars through years of buying foreign currency to maintain its fixed exchange rate. Following the central bank's decision in July to cut the yuan's peg to the dollar, some analysts speculated that China's appetite for dollars could diminish, prompting Beijing to sell greenbacks and slow its purchases of treasuries. Some suggested that this could force the U.S. Federal Reserve to raise interest rates to support the dollar, and perhaps even choke the real estate market, sending prices plummeting."

I will look smashing in my Mao Zedong T shirt, or rather, sewing 1,500 of them everyday. Link to a funny Onion article "Chinese Factory Worker Can't Believe All the Plastic Sh*t He Makes for Americans":

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31049/print/

Last edited by a moderator:
^ thanks for the link and the quote, very informative

Larger disposable income.
Cheaper clothes.
Short shelf life trends.

It's just one big cycle !

And I don't know anyone who shops in Primark because they have to , they do it for the quantity of clothes they can buy , people (including myself sometimes) have a problem distinguising between need and want.

Lena said:
who said buy 'designers'? who said that "well, expensive = quality. so buy expensive."...
we are discussing cnsumer trends not personal opinions, the new trend is for people to think before they spend thats all.
eg. Fair trade products (anything from coffee to sportjackets) is not designer and is not expensive either
consious spending its a marketable, niche mental frame on the rise, thats a fact. The decision to jump on this badwagon or the decision to support sweatshop/cheap products its up to each one of us, clear as that.

Actually, if you read back on the comments posted in this thread (particularly some towards the end of the first page, you will see that the discussion is geared towards designer versus cheap, mass produced high-street clothes. You don't need to tell me what the new "trend" is, thank you very much. But it is disappointing that the fashion world thinks ethical consumption is a "trend" if it is as you say. I am merely responding to the opinions posted in this thread, please decline from the condescending tone of voice.

Also, I think it is very narrow-minded of you to say "clear as that". Firstly, cheap doesn't automatically equal unethical, sweat-shop made products. You even say so yourself. I quote "fair trade products is not designer and is not expensive either". I think the current trend of CHEAP CHIC does not neccessarily mean sweatshop chic. It means obtaining the latest trends at bottom prices. Vintage/thrift shopping has become extremely popular, swapping circles a trend amongst many hipster urbanites, do-it-yourself, etc. Cheap mass-produced clothes like Old Navy, Primark, Forever21, etc. will ALWAYS be around. These discount stores are not a trend, they are merely a different sector of the market from mid-high end stores and more "ethical" stores.

The issue of ethical consumption and buying is not black and white, like I said. You may think that it is not expensive. But do you know EVERY person's situation? It adds up if you are a college student, single mother, etc, etc. Also, my point is, is it really fair to point to those who are less well-off and accuse them of being irresponsible during some cheap chic movement because they want to have what others have and look stylish, too? I just think it's a little too high handed to make comments based ONLY on what is on the surface, what is apparent and not think critically about the real issues at hand.

I am a british teenager and I have to say that Primark makes up a lot of my wardrobe and I always get complements for what I wear And I haven't had any of my clothing brought from there "fall to pieces" after a few wears.. I really don't believe that pricier high street chains like Topshop, Elle, Next and M&S give a damn about how ethical they are, each high street chain is as profit hungry as the next and why should I waste my money on middle class fairtrade corporate bullcrap so that I can feel "better" about myself.

Parker007 said:
why should I waste my money on middle class fairtrade corporate bullcrap so that I can feel "better" about myself.

:huh:I am not sure I understand you correctly, but if I do, than it is not about "feeling better about yourself," rather it is about being a compassionate human being and caring about other people and the global community

^^Ultimately, Parker007, if you can't afford higher priced, more ethically just (unfortunately, Primark doesn't pass this test..... their regulations over their suppliers are very dubious....) brands, then it's still your prerogative in my opinion. But, it isn't just about making yourself feel better but as fashionmad said, it's about thinking of the bigger picture. Hey, I'm no saint either, I have shopped at Primark - but if I can afford it, why not shope at the higher priced chains or go vintage etc.

I know for a fact Arcadia cares about their ethical policies as does M&S because they actually have deparments in their structure that looks after these issues.....

Most Arcadia products are made in China, Vietnam and Turkey. I know that Topshop is bringing in fair trade clothing and bags but it is a relatively small line in production at the moment and I would make the choice to buy it if they stocked in my local store. But Topshop is the most forward thinking of the Arcadia stores and I seriously doubt that the others will follow. I'm willing to bet Arcadia doesn't care even nearly enough, Philip Green is a business man, not a charity worker. His main concern is profit and figures and cheaply produced goods and new stock every week is what has made him his millions.

^ true about arcadia etc, they do manufacture in those countries BUT they have special 'envoys' who are regularly checking out working & 'green' conditions.. at least in their EU/Turkey manufacturers they do

i know by experience that they are especially 'stiff' on enviromental issues (chemical disposal, ventilation conditions) which is fine by me.

I don't really understand the cheap mentality of the British high street chain-Primark, it's such a buy and throw mentality.

Go out and buy really cheap looking clothes every weekend, and I'm not just talking about the poor people doing this, but British girls seem to love a so-called 'bargain' at Primark.

I just don't understand it, but each to their own.

^ yes, exactly pucci mama, it's a clear strategy 'buy cheap, come buy again next week' thats a pretty lame way of making disposable products and lots of $$$ out of the innocent client who believes he/she 'buys cheap'..

no cheap at all if you need to buy a whole bunch to get through the season :D

i think cheap chic is very attractive to teenagers. you don't have to think, just buy which is where a lot of impulse buys come in.

right now the most i can do is thrifting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->