Is There Future In Fashion?

aracic

Staff member
Reaction score
Fashion is dying yet Parsons is charging students hundred of thousand of dollars to fool them into thinking they can be the next star designer.

As I just read this comment in Calvin Klein's thread, it hit me. Of course, I've been aware of the state of fashion for a very long time, but it never occured to me that by the time I get to certain positions fashion as we know it could really be dead.

I am one week into my first year of Fashion Design studies and I'm scared as s*it. I've had my doubts but I always figured that there's always a chance if you work hard enough to find and grab it. I kind of always knew I wanted a career in fashion - since Barbie days and playing with mom's fabric leftovers to my early teen years when I discovered high fashion. It's really my only field of interest.
But the high fashion I fell in love with doesn't exist anymore. I love theatrics and drama. Those extravagant shows with meaning and beauty and the feel of luxury. That's what fashion means to me. But that doesn't seem to be "in trend" anymore. We all know it's only about money and low standards now...

Anyway, I wanted to hear your opinion on this topic: is there future in fashion? Is it worth going through years of education and practice, sacrificing lots and lots of money, patience, time... Is it worth fighting this fight? Will fashion ever be able to recover from 2010s and go back to theatrics and artistry that were once a part of the package?
I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

As long as people need clothes on their back, there'll be a need for good designers.

If you're just one week into studies, maybe it's just a bit of angst starting a new field and the normal second guessing we all have on a new path.
But few people really have a strong passion for their work like you state.
Stay focused, be disciplined, and be flexible.
Don't limit how you think of yourself as a designer. There are enormous options; textile design, designing for a larger manufacturer, you may have a smaller clientele in an atelier of your own, or you may end up designing for a well established fashion house. Or you may have a label of your own and a fantastic runway show every season.
At some point in your career you may end up doing all. Or setting a new trend and throwing a curve into the industry yourself.
The industry looks nothing like what attracted me when I was 13: Nothing like it. So your career in fashion may not be as it was when you were first inspired, but will undoubtedly be as frustrating and rewarding as you hope for.
If as you described, you've had the passion since very early, don't get discouraged. I would strongly encourage you to stay with it.

A black and white answer: no.
Why? The world is slowly getting overpopulated. This growing population is slowly poluting the earth leading to the climate change that's already going on. Today's fast fashion is also a part of this, from the fabricage to a lot of waste products. Fashion has to become sustainable: clean fabricage, much better quality so garments can be worn a lifetime and not every season/year something new. We should be going back to the time of the prehistory lol. At the moment I can't see a bright future for fashion. I think it will be going from fast to slow fashion to probably no fashion anymore? How current fashion is working can't be continued for long.
But you should do what you like the most! If it's fashion do fashion, if it's something else do something else.

Fashion is a big bubble which is about to burst sooner than later. I see a big crack, because there are too much production of mediocre clothes.

The current state of fashion industry reminds me of the early 80s videogame industry crack, when Atari went bankrupt because they were saturating the market with lots of crap...and customers get bored and annoyed of it.

About your feelings of fear, angst and anxiety...well that´s pretty familiar to me.
The key is to forget about "making it" in the fashion industry. If you get focused on being recognized as a designer, you are going to suffer a lot.
Your focus must be on making clothes. That´s your reward: having the joy of materialize all your ideas into real clothes and enjoy the process of making them into reality. Just feeling the need to make clothes for the sake of it, and feeling good when you see your finished clothes; while you are still excited thinking about the next garment you are gonna make. That feeling is really addictive, like a drug...but without side effects.

Passion for creation is the only important thing which can keep you balanced when you feel lost.

The key is to forget about "making it" in the fashion industry. If you get focused on being recognized as a designer, you are going to suffer a lot.
Your focus must be on making clothes. That´s your reward: having the joy of materialize all your ideas into real clothes and enjoy the process of making them into reality. Just feeling the need to make clothes for the sake of it, and feeling good when you see your finished clothes; while you are still excited thinking about the next garment you are gonna make. That feeling is really addictive, like a drug...but without side effects

I want to 'like' this a thousand times because it applies to just about every other creative field!

Fashion is a big bubble which is about to burst sooner than later. I see a big crack, because there are too much production of mediocre clothes.

The current state of fashion industry reminds me of the early 80s videogame industry crack, when Atari went bankrupt because they were saturating the market with lots of crap...and customers get bored and annoyed of it.

About your feelings of fear, angst and anxiety...well that´s pretty familiar to me.
Your focus must be on making clothes. That´s your reward: having the joy of materialize all your ideas into real clothes and enjoy the process of making them into reality. Just feeling the need to make clothes for the sake of it, and feeling good when you see your finished clothes; while you are still excited thinking about the next garment you are gonna make. That feeling is really addictive, like a drug...but without side effects.

Passion for creation is the only important thing which can keep you balanced when you feel lost.

Beautifully said

I think there will always be a need for designers as long as brands need someone to create new ideas. Most business-minded people wouldn't be able to design creative or desirable items themselves. But the landscape is changing, especially in high fashion. Much of the elegance and drama has become irrelevant (not saying that I like that happening). Menswear has become much more important - a good thing. Streetwear/skatewear has permeated high fashion... to many people's dismay.

Many customers aren't looking for fashion so much as they are looking for styling these days. If you look at LV or Balenciaga, a lot of younger people are just buying their hoodies, backpacks, shoes, and athletic jackets. There is little to no design in that, it's mostly very urban and athletic pieces similar to what you get from Nike or Supreme. Maybe that's how Virgil made it to a brand like Louis Vuitton...

I think fashion has also become over-saturated with so many people trying to be successful designers, regardless of their experience in fashion design. Fashion has become a huge world compared to what it was even in the early 2000s. The digital realm is growing, meaning more people have a means of attracting attention to their brands, whether small or big. It makes predicting your success as a designer much more difficult.

I'm not sure if I even said anything at all here but I tried to add my two cents. This is a really big conversation and people on TFS can contribute way more to it than I can. I was a fashion design student for a year but I dropped out because I got sick. I'm trying to go back next year though.

I was a fashion design student for a year but I dropped out because I got sick. I'm trying to go back next year though.

I hope you are recovered and feeling well; and I also hope you can return to your fashion school next year. :wink:

Health is the most important thing of all.

Not sure if this answers the question but IMHO, I see biotechnology and sustainability might be playing a big part in fashion for the future.

I see a great future for fashion actually and sustainability is the way forward. I also think we are in need of some fresh talent and new ethical and sustainable brands, so I really think there is future in fashion. It is worth all the years of education, if you have passion for it and you fight for it. Never give up on your dream!

As the comment above says, sustainability will play a big part. Fact is, nowadays we have Copenhaguen Fashion Summit, Neonyt in Berlin and now Barcelona is adding a new event of reference, the Re-Barcelona Sustainable Fashion Global Event, which is sharing really interesting content. I really recommend you to follow these events for inspiration.

In addition to this, technology is key to achieve low impact materials for the planet and to achieve an authentic eco-friendly vegan fashion for example.

Everytime we buy something we are casting a vote for the king of future we want to see. If I were a fashion designer, I would see a great opportunity right now to be part of the change in the fashion industry and to be part of the changemakers that are leading the way to a greener world.

By the way, I also miss the drama and theatrics and the truly romantic and fantastic shows. I'm looking forward for a genius to appear and bring back all the magic!

ecf3f5b9bb65fd460569bd2ea9e50669.jpg

Everyone has made really good points.

In the current situation we can see many big brands losing 50% of their sales and even going bankrupt. No one is safe.

I'd like to think a lot more people are changing their minds and educating themselves more, trying to buy less, to buy longer-lasting, and more sustainably made clothes. However, as we said, we are overpopulated, therefore I don't think fast fashion will disappear any time soon for different reasons. Some people actually don't care about the consequences of making clothes, they "get bored" of their wardrobes quickly and often "need" to buy more. At the moment sustainably made clothes aren't that cheap, therefore some won't be able to afford them. I don't think they are expensive but some people can't really spend £20 on a t-shirt when they can buy another for £5.
In some places going to thrift stores isn't your first option, maybe because there isn't any around you or maybe just because we have the habit of going to certain stores and simply don't think of thrift stores, (not sure I'm explaining myself here).

I couldn't agree more with this!

There are so many points on this topic that we could discuss...

In my opinion, some designers could work together to make a brand instead of each having their own. It would be less competition, you could probably make a stronger brand that could reach out to more customers rather than a specific group. Although, this could be a very tricky situation. There are so many things to account for...

What is clear is that the fashion industry is facing a lot of changes in many different ways. Some will strive, advance, and survive, others won't make it and we will see new brands emerging.

Learn french, in Italy they don't problem with english speaking person, but in France is big value and you have more opportunity to find for interesting job. In high fashion brand you will not problem with communication and you will learning form seamstresses.
A cut knowledge is always a precious treasure. In contemporary world it not easy is to get it. You can go to intern to seamstress or search for library old books and magazines for seamstress. A lot of designer buy clothes designer by Cristóbal Balenciaga and discover diffrent technic how you can cut fabric.
Own company it never good idea for young designer unless you have rich family which can support you. Good fashion brand is balance between beautiful clothes and stuff (accessories, cosmetics,perfume - at the begining it not easy to produce beacuse you need some money and find subcontracting firm) which provide accounting liquidity. Next hard part of own compay is determine strategy of business and sales. You can some opportunity: you own online shop: all margin it is for you, but few people know about you and return clothes can destroy your company. A very often return make up 50% sell. The departament stores and online shop - supreme asset a lot of people can buy your clothes, but you will have to divide margin with them. Moreover, they have a very strict rules partnership, for example your stuff sold a very well in no time. They expect you can to produce next batch in two weeks, but money of first batch you will get at next 6 or 12 months. The buyers always sceptical for new brand beacuse in fashion industry a majority comapny bankrupt within 5 years. The last opportunity own shop in fashion industry should be in cool or good street but rental fee is expensive. The best value you can have your sewing studio, showroom, office and shop in one place. For all intents and purposes you should employ some people with experience. You try go to intern fashion or fastfashion brand. You meet a lot of people and will get knowlange how function this industry.

I think this is a fascinating thread and wish it had more replies. But that evidences my point.

Short answer - absolutely yes! I think the fashion industry has long passed its peak. I think the “new” fashion industry will be so democratised and almost nameless there won’t be big designers anymore.

I’ve worked across many fashion luxury brands but moved because I could see budgets being cut cut left and right, sales plumetting etc.
The diors and ysls will remain but I don’t see any major powerhouses developing again. Even the fast fashion is so volatile. Topshop in administration?!? Crazy

Even look at this forum - it used to be SO busy and now you find threads where the past 3 pages are posts from 2015-2020! In 3 pages?!? Or models: I don’t even bother learning new models names until I’ve seen their threads re-appear for 2 seasons.
Also, people aren’t as willing to be paid with prestige, they want cash!!! And fashion is so poorly paid.

the answer - we actually don't know.
when we know, there is no demand for prophecy.

okay seriously speaking, "fashion is dying" statements have been around since the 90's, as far as I know.
and back then it was said that some like margiela etc were giving fashion an IV drip.
if you think about it now, fashion seems to be a die-hard one.

but the times of massproducing the fashion history might be ending.
the miracle of creation takes place less and less and for a while we might be going through the future as dejavu.
in fact, fashion has been more about formation rather than creation.
discovery, editing, bricolage, depaysement rather than invention.
sampling, remix instead of quotation, parody.
designers as someone less of a vanguard who grows the history, more of a necromancer who works with the archives, the material once buried.
I see death fashion flourishing.
at least that fashion may never die. for it is dead in the first place.

anyway here is rebecca solnit speaking of going with uncertainties for reference

"an active response to what arises, a recognition that we often don't know what is going to happen ahead of time, and an acceptance that whatever takes place will usually be a mixture of blessings and curses that will unfold over considerable time. such an attitude is bolstered by historical memory, by accounts of indirect consequences, unanticipated cataclysms and victories, cumulative effects, and long timelines.
.......what we do begins with what we believe we can do. it begins with being open to the possibilities and interested in the complexities."

This is a beautiful discussion and I would like to say yes, I believe that there is a future for fashion.
Fashion, art, literature, music, are basic cultural expressions of the human being, and as long as our society exists, they will be alive.
I started working with fashion 35 years ago (!!!) and I can say that the world has changed several times since then. What we call fashion today is something completely different from what it was in 1985. Or 1965, or 1925. Fashion today reaches a level of possibilities that no one would have imagined some time ago.
I believe that in a few years we will have clothes that can change color, volume, length; that can be printed as a canvas, from chips installed in our body. Virtual, holographic clothes. Pieces that cool and heat according to the temperature. Clothes that can be cleaned without using water, just a disinfection ... the future of fashion is fascinating and I dream of being able to know all these wonders!
The fashion world is very difficult, like almost any other. A fashion professional needs many requirements, all important. Clarity of ideas, persistence, courage, sociability, enthusiasm. Strength to go through difficult years and failures. Raf Simons is a example of a great professional who let himself be overwhelmed by his behavioral failures. McQueen was a sad example of a genius who failed to face the demands of the real world. Philo was an example of someone who chose a less insane life. Each one, in their way, built a world.
As the French say, fashion is dead, long live fashion.

This is a beautiful discussion and I would like to say yes, I believe that there is a future for fashion.
Fashion, art, literature, music, are basic cultural expressions of the human being, and as long as our society exists, they will be alive.
I started working with fashion 35 years ago (!!!) and I can say that the world has changed several times since then. What we call fashion today is something completely different from what it was in 1985. Or 1965, or 1925. Fashion today reaches a level of possibilities that no one would have imagined some time ago.
I believe that in a few years we will have clothes that can change color, volume, length; that can be printed as a canvas, from chips installed in our body. Virtual, holographic clothes. Pieces that cool and heat according to the temperature. Clothes that can be cleaned without using water, just a disinfection ... the future of fashion is fascinating and I dream of being able to know all these wonders!
The fashion world is very difficult, like almost any other. A fashion professional needs many requirements, all important. Clarity of ideas, persistence, courage, sociability, enthusiasm. Strength to go through difficult years and failures. Raf Simons is a example of a great professional who let himself be overwhelmed by his behavioral failures. McQueen was a sad example of a genius who failed to face the demands of the real world. Philo was an example of someone who chose a less insane life. Each one, in their way, built a world.
As the French say, fashion is dead, long live fashion.
that is disgusting. i hope that never happens.

why would we want cloths that change volume color and length. wats the point? technology is pointless without tradition and heritage. the japanese have it right, use technology to create better traditional crafts.

I'll accept couture being assembled using laser measurements and other things to increase the accuracy but never this craziness of chips in your body. I mean...

as far as fashion goes you should just teach yourself in your house and when you're good enough put on a show in your local fashion show. going to fashion school is a guaranteed way to end up an assistant to someone who is self-taught ...

handmade fashion will never leave the upper end. even it becomes a mind blowing curiosity like a Bugatti Chiron.

Fashion isn’t like bulding a house where if you do it wrong people could die. Nobody is dying from a bad collection - unless they have a bad reaction to their couture micro chips. There are no consequences to being a “bad” artist like there are from being a bad lawyer. Yes?

Last edited:
I mean the reason why fashion looks the way it does now is that the interest rates for borrowing at higher than they were pre 2008. You’ll notice after 2008 there was a shift to safe clothes because brands like LVMH are paying more to borrow money so they are less willing to make risks. If interest rates were lower there would be more exotic and wild things since selling is less important since there is less money risked. Very basic economics.

It’s very simple. But I guess we can talk about overpopulation or whatever - wearing washiable utility jumpsuits and crocs - in an industry where the whole point is creating a world for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->