Is There Future In Fashion?

Fashion will always be a thing (unless nudism takes off). I've honestly found the doom gloom comments by designers and those in the industry to be thoughtless and out of touch. The fact is people can't afford to be fashionable as they used to be or sometimes at all. There's a limit to how much your insecurities can hold their power over you before being overpowered by your purse. Add that to the crazy things that have happened in recent years where you couldn't even go out or you were stuck sick in bed so there was no point in being fashionable.

Fashion will always be a thing (unless nudism takes off).
You're talking about clothing then, not fashion, fashion is not the antonym of nudism. It's loosely based around clothes but it's not essential to our bodies. Managing temperature, hygiene, safety, comfort, survival, diminishing our bodies' fragility- that's the job of clothing. Nobody needs fashion. It's embellishment and status and attempts to communicate who we are or want to be in a society and more specifically, in a economic system, but it's not indispensable, it's never been and as such, it may or may not have a future in its current form, or as an industry, in even 100 years from now. Industries evolve and fashion as we know it is not even 100 years old, that's nothing in humans' history and as most industries that reach heights fast, the crash always follows and fashion has become too gullible, too sure of its omnipresence and reluctant to listen more than it talks.

That being said, as a career (since this is in the Education section), I think the post below is pure wisdom and accurately mentions all that fashion can still give and become and its exciting and endless possibilities that may or may not remain unexplored... and someone calling it 'disgusting' simultaneously exemplifies the monumental challenge of materializing any of that: it shows the predominant mindset of mediocrity and ignorance while inexplicably behaving as a smug authority that's above curiosity and does not need to know more, slowly polluting and contributing to the imminent obsolescence of fashion as an industry and a world that's brought joy and beauty to plenty of us.

I started working with fashion 35 years ago (!!!) and I can say that the world has changed several times since then. What we call fashion today is something completely different from what it was in 1985. Or 1965, or 1925. Fashion today reaches a level of possibilities that no one would have imagined some time ago.
I believe that in a few years we will have clothes that can change color, volume, length; that can be printed as a canvas, from chips installed in our body. Virtual, holographic clothes. Pieces that cool and heat according to the temperature. Clothes that can be cleaned without using water, just a disinfection ... the future of fashion is fascinating and I dream of being able to know all these wonders!
The fashion world is very difficult, like almost any other. A fashion professional needs many requirements, all important. Clarity of ideas, persistence, courage, sociability, enthusiasm. Strength to go through difficult years and failures. Raf Simons is a example of a great professional who let himself be overwhelmed by his behavioral failures. McQueen was a sad example of a genius who failed to face the demands of the real world. Philo was an example of someone who chose a less insane life. Each one, in their way, built a world.
As the French say, fashion is dead, long live fashion.

You're talking about clothing then, not fashion, fashion is not the antonym of nudism. It's loosely based around clothes but it's not essential to our bodies. Managing temperature, hygiene, safety, comfort, survival, diminishing our bodies' fragility- that's the job of clothing. Nobody needs fashion. It's embellishment and status and attempts to communicate who we are or want to be in a society and more specifically, in a economic system, but it's not indispensable, it's never been and as such, it may or may not have a future in its current form, or as an industry, in even 100 years from now. Industries evolve and fashion as we know it is not even 100 years old, that's nothing in humans' history and as most industries that reach heights fast, the crash always follows and fashion has become too gullible, too sure of its omnipresence and reluctant to listen more than it talks.

That being said, as a career (since this is in the Education section), I think the post below is pure wisdom and accurately mentions all that fashion can still give and become and its exciting and endless possibilities that may or may not remain unexplored... and someone calling it 'disgusting' simultaneously exemplifies the monumental challenge of materializing any of that: it shows the predominant mindset of mediocrity and ignorance while inexplicably behaving as a smug authority that's above curiosity and does not need to know more, slowly polluting and contributing to the imminent obsolescence of fashion as an industry and a world that's brought joy and beauty to plenty of us.
Exactly! I agree with the opinion!

Fashion won't die until there are talented people. So, it can't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->