Jane Pratt steps down from Jane magazine

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
this is a shock...from fashionweekdaily.com...

In a move not surprising to some in the industry, Jane Pratt stepped down from Jane magazine today. The 42-year-old blonde bombshell, who founded the eponymous Jane in 1997 after helming the cult teen magazine Sassy, leaves her post on September 30 of this year. Jane cites “wanderlust” and threatens to announce a new gig in her official closing statement.

Meanwhile, unofficial sources inside Fairchild tell The Daily that Jane is moving onto another project at a different publisher. The move may not be unrelated to Elizabeth, a magazine idea dreamed up by Fairchild in 2002 for women over 40, and titled after Jane’s middle name.

Sources also tell The Daily that Fairchild editorial director Patrick McCarthy has already narrowed down the list for a new editor-in-chief to two top-secret choices, with an announcement to be expected next month.

In the last few years, Jane, which began as a tremendous success, has experienced tremendous change, redesigning its pages, rebuilding its fashion department after losing several staffers, and lowering its cover price. Jane also lost publisher Eva Dillon to Cookie in March, and replaced her with Maxim’s Mark Oltarsh. Currently, Jane is 15% up in newsstand sales and 2.8% percent in ad sales in 2005.

Jane Pratt, who is universally adored by her staff, is considered one of the most dynamic women in publishing today, and her next act is sure to be formidable. “We’ll miss her,” says a Jane staffer, “she built a great magazine.”

i haven't been overly impressed with Jane (the magazine) over the past year (the cover choices have been horrible), but it's interesting to see what she (and the magazine) will go from here...

i agree kimair. jane's really vision was Sassy magazine -- which i think is still unparalleled today. it was very progressive, and treated it's readers like intelligent, independent thinkers which i don't think Jane magazine really does. i hope she swings back into that direction...we need that more than ever.

http://www.sassy-magazine.com/contents.html

jane magazine is terrible IMO. it attempts to be raunch but all it is is BORING.

it *used* to be good... it treated its young readers as intelligent, self-standing women, but i agree the quality had gone down, down, down over the past several years. i havent picked up a copy since 2003..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->