:heart: her!

[SIZE=+2]BABY JANE HOLZER[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=+2]
jane.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]

[SIZE=-1]Gerard Malanga (in lower left corner), Ivy Nicholson[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]

and Jane Holzer at the Factory (ca. 1965)

(photo: Billy Name)

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Diana Vreeland:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] "Jane Holzer is the most contemporary girl I know."[/SIZE]

Although Andy Warhol called NAOMI LEVINE his first superstar, Baby Jane Holzer was the first of Warhol's superstars to attract a lot of media attention.
Jane Holzer was born Jane Brookenfeld on October 23, 1940 [SIZE=-7](imdb)[/SIZE]. Jane's father, Carl Brookenfeld, had made his fortune in real estate. Although Jane was raised in Florida, her father also had a place in New York where they spent a lot of time. Jane went to Cherry Lawn School in Darien, Connecticut and then to Finch Junior College until she was expelled, preferring dancing at El Morrocco to studying. After Finch, she started modeling and was catapulted to fame when David Bailey took her photographs for English Vogue in the summer of 1963. [SIZE=-7](KT165-6) [/SIZE]Jane Brookenfeld became Jane Holzer when she married Leonard Holzer - the heir to a large real estate fortune. Their home in New York was a twelve room apartment on Park Avenue.
Nicky Haslam, the editor of Show magazine at the time, introduced Jane to Andy on 59th Street, in front of Bloomingdales. Andy told her he was doing a film called Soap Opera and asked if she would like to be in it. A week or so after meeting Warhol, Jane had a dinner at her father-in-law's house where she lived on Park Avenue, and Andy came. The other guests were David Bailey, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, David McEwen and Nicky Haslam. [SIZE=-7](UW47)[/SIZE]
Jane was nicknamed "Baby Jane" by columnist Carol Bjorkman. The film, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, had just come out and although the columnist had not seen the film, she used the name for Jane Holzer. Jane hadn't seen the film either, but when she did, she "wanted to die" but the name stuck. [SIZE=-7](UW47/48)[/SIZE]

According to Jane, Soap Opera was the first film she worked on - with Jerry Benjamin and Sam Green. She also made a Screen Test where Warhol just turned on the camera and told her not to blink. She also remembered making a film where she was eating a banana, and then Batman Dracula. [SIZE=-7](UW47)[/SIZE]
Jane Holzer [on filming Batman Dracula]: "That was hysterical. This limo came and picked us up and took us out to the Marshall Field house where Judy and Sam Peabody were spending the summer. And Andy's early star Naomi Levine was there. Ivy Nicholson was there too. And there were all of these wonderful proper maids in uniforms waiting on people. Naomi Levine wrapped herself in Saran Wrap with nothing underneath. Everyone was watching the maids sort of move around ill-at-ease, pretending that Naomi was dressed. Judy and Sam were hysterical, I thought it was hysterically funny - it was great." [SIZE=-7](Ibid) [/SIZE]

In addition to her Warhol films, Jane also appeared in Ciao Manhattan. When asked what it was like working with Edie Sedgwick and Chuck Wein on the film, she said "Let me give you an example. One day we went to this halfway house. And we were waiting for Edie to show up. We got there at probably 11 in the morning. At 5, Edie shows up... she filmed perfectly because she was, you know, high and feeling great. But we were fit to be tied and uptight because we'd been waiting forever." [SIZE=-7](UW52)[/SIZE]
Jane also appeared in a Broadway play called Gotta Go Disco by Jerry Brandt, Joe Eula and Alan Finkelstein based on story of Cinderella, starring Irene Cara. It closed after two weeks.
Because of all the drugs and craziness at the Factory, Jane stayed away from it "between Edie's arrival and when Andy got shot" [SIZE=-7](UW53)[/SIZE]. She remained in contact with Warhol throughout the seventies and eighties, both often attending similar social functions. Jane: "I remember it used to be so embarrassing in the '60s: he and ten people would show up and crash. By the '70s, he was the first one to be invited anywhere." [SIZE=-7](UW53)[/SIZE]
Jane eventually opened an ice cream shop in Palm Beach, Florida called Sweet Baby Jane's, living in both New York and Palm Beach. [SIZE=-7](UW47) [/SIZE]In addition to her real estate investments, Jane was also executive producer of the film, Naked Tango (1990) and associate producer of Spike of Bensonhurst (1988). She also appeared in the films, Linnea Quigley's Horror Workout (1990), La Vallee fantome (1987) and Futz! (1969). [SIZE=-7](IMDB)[/SIZE]

Bio from warholstars

1.jpg
http://www.robinsonarchive.com/

8.jpg
http://www.deutsche-bank-kunst.com/

Holzer03.jpg
http://www.robinsonarchive.com/

kiss.jpg
http://www.harvardfilmarchive.org/

holzer.jpg
http://edu.warhol.org/

hb_1993.517.40ab.jpg
hb_1993.517.44a,b.jpg
MetMuseum!!!(the Bikini´s are Gifts from Baby Jane for the Museum)

warhol_janeholz_mint.jpg
http://www.80spurple.com/
VoguecoverNov64.jpg
vogue.com

one of her dresses
60sHolzer.jpg
human.cornell

The following interview of Warhol star Baby Jane Holzer (by Anita Pallenberg) will appear in the Fall 2002 issue of 'Cheapdate' magazine (Issue No. 5:(

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Anita, how do you stay so skinny? I have such a problem with staying skinny.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I don't know. I think my mum was very skinny.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]So was mine![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It could be that I ride a bicycle everywhere around London. Everyone is so[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]polite here. I would be terrified to do it in New York. How did you get the name[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Baby Jane?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]There was this columnist called Carol Bjorkman who wrote for Women's Wear[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Daily, and she coined the phrase after the movie, which nobody had seen. When[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I saw the movie I thought oh my God, what have they done to me? It was the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]most frightening thing. The name stuck, which is a drag.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]You've never liked it?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]No, Jane is better. But what are you gonna do? You can't change history.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Shall we talk a little bit about those days? You must have been one of the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]first people that I met in New York.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It was with Allan. Do you remember when I asked you if you remembered him?[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]And you said 'vaguely'. That is the funniest answer in the whole wide world.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It's just like the 60's: vagueness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I saw you at Ondine's, in about '65. It was a magic sort of place, on 59th Street,[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]under the bridge. You met Brian Jones as well.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Were you dating Brian?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Yeah, I was going out with him. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]And then you switched to Keith?[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Yep. Horrible isn't it? We had a tumultuous relationship, and then Brian actually[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]got a bit sick, taking acid and stuff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]How long were you together?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Until about 1967. Then he turned into a kind of schizo. He got agressive and[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]abusive.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]When did he die?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]1969. Would you call yourself a survivor?[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Definitely. We're both survivors.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]But the word 'survivor' makes us sound like we're been to boot camp, as if we[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]were barely getting by. Do you see it like that?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Yes and no. No and Yes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I don't want to be thought of as a survivor. I'm living a good life. I've heard that[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]you have a great art collection. What are your favorite pieces?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Warhol. I'm mad on Warhol. Also Keith Haring, Jean Michele Basquiat,[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Nan Goldin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]What are your thoughts about Warhol?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]He was a master. He was a religious person: very catholic, very spiritual,[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]loving and giving. He was afraid to give anyone money in case they would[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]take drugs, but he ran a tab at Max's Kansas City, so people could eat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I spent more time upstairs in the painted bathrooms![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Well, I was downstairs chomping away on chickpeas. That's the difference,[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]right?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Do you remember Edie Sedgwick? I remember her being very sad.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]She wasn't so sad. She was just stoned all the time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]But never happy stoned. Maybe it was her makeup that made her look sad.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]So what do you remember about doing those films with Warhol?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]We'd always be waiting for Edie. We would all be straight and uptight by the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]time she arrived, and she would be so loose, so beautiful, so perfect. Everything [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]she did was perfect. She was amazing. AMAZING! I wish she were still here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I remember going to visit Andy at the Factory, when I had just had Marlon,[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]and he was so sweet to him. He took him to this room packed with toys, and[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]said he could have any toy he wanted. Marlon was blown away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Andy loved children.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It's great now. All the kids are friends, and all the mothers and daughters[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]hang out together. It gives you a sense of continuity. I like feeling a part of[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it too, especially with the grandchildren. That makes me feel almost immortal.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Do you ever feel like that?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Not really, dammit![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]There was a moment where I thought, this is it. I'm immortal.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The funniest thing is what people say about Keith: 'Cheating death for, what is[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]it, thirty or forty years?' He's funny right?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]He is funny, very sharp. Witty by day, must say. Do you feel differently now?[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Compared to the old days?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Yeah, I feel older dammit. Well, I don't really feel older, but I know I am older.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Sometimes when I glance in a mirror, I still see the same person I had inside[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]me thirty years ago. But when I go in to the bathroom and look at myself[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]with all the lights on, I think wow, what happened?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]You look great.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]As a whole, but if you look closer you see the wear and tear. I heard that you[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]keep sheep. How many do you have? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I have one black one and one white one. They are so cute.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]What else are you up to?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Just working away, trying to get my house in the country done. Same old,[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]same old. I feel lucky to be alive and healthy; doing a days work; feeling like[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I have accomplished something.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Are you married now?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]No, I work too hard. I don't have the time. Men of our generation need a lot [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]of attention, unlike the younger ones. The younger ones are very good about[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]giving.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Anita:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Yeah, its true. I went to see a psychic in London, who told me I should look[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]for a Tibetan or an Indian.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Jane:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I don't think so. Darling, you're rock n' roll aristocracy.[/SIZE]

I think she was sooo beautiful! And I adore those bikinis! :heart:

warholstars.org

robinsonarchive.com

babyjane3xc0.jpg

spectropop.com

jarnemec.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Jane Holzer! Here are photos i scanned from the warhol look

Attachments

• Baby%20Jane%20Holzer.JPG
    Baby%20Jane%20Holzer.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 16
  • janeh.jpg
    janeh.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 12
  • jane765.jpg
    jane765.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
  • colour.jpg
    colour.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 12
  • bjh.jpg
    bjh.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 16
Photos by David McCabe:
jagger296kf6.jpg

jagger297gw5.jpg

Baby Jane Holzer: "The pictures with Mick were taken at a party that I had at my 955 Park Avenue apartment. I can tell by the Warhol Flower paintings on the wall. Andy really loved how I hung them. I had six Flower paintings and hung them all from their corners (like a diamond)."

I love Jane's style in Ciao! Manhattan. I was really surprised to hear that she hated Edie at the time, she speaks very fondly of her now.

I love Jane's style in Ciao! Manhattan. I was really surprised to hear that she hated Edie at the time, she speaks very fondly of her now.

I heard that too from I think one of director of Ciao saying Jane hated Edie because she'd get everyone's attention once she showed up in a room and Jane didn't like that. Also Edie couldn't care less whether she liked her or not. It's strange how Jane speaks of Edie now

Yeah I think she probably just felt a little jealous about being upstaged, she also thought she'd been replaced at the Factory and since Andy was the source of much of her fame it's understandable why she was hostile. Maybe she's changed her tune because she feels a little guilty now and realises how vulnerable Edie was in terms of her demise. She once said that she had no idea drugs would have killed Edie, since everybody else was doing them as well.

Jane with Edie
2nqearq.jpg

Book: Girl On Fire

Yeah I think she probably just felt a little jealous about being upstaged, she also thought she'd been replaced at the Factory and since Andy was the source of much of her fame it's understandable why she was hostile. Maybe she's changed her tune because she feels a little guilty now and realises how vulnerable Edie was in terms of her demise. She once said that she had no idea drugs would have killed Edie, since everybody else was doing them as well.

Jane with Edie

Book: Girl On Fire

that's such an interesting photo, Edie smiling and looking like she had not a care in the world with Jane next to her looking quite serious and annoyed.

When I first heard of Edie, the title of girl of the year 1965 someone said it was actually Baby Jane Holzer but then that changed as soon as Edie showed up with Chuck Wein. I guess the things Jane says now about the Factory during the mid 60s is understandable and Chuck Wein as well. She said there were too many people on drugs and Andy being so taken with Edie more so than any other woman he'd met at the time left Jane more pushed to the side. Before Edie came to the Factory, her friend Chuck Wein orchestrated the meeting with Andy knowing Edie couldn't do it properly herself. Jane said Chuck had many bad vibes about him, 'too many drugs' to quote her. Its weird to believe that Jane didn't think Edie would have passed due to drugs because she said she was always stoned, maybe because Jane left the Factory during her time around the late 60s, she didn't witness the decay of Edie or her increasing addiction to drugs. The last thing I read about Jane regarding towards Edie was that she wished she was still around :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, it really sums up their situation doesn't it?

I also find it hard to believe Jane couldn't have predicted Edie's early death, seeing as how many people attested to her dangerous habits having made her a slow moving train wreck, even early on. I suppose Edie did give the impression of being able to take care of herself and rise above the madness in her life, and Jane probably wasn't close enough with Edie to know of the issues she was dealing with either.

Here is the article written by Jane about Edie:

Edie Sedgwick emotionally represents and has come to symbolize something that young people believe is missing from their lives today: the pure authenticity and personal freedom of the '60s. These were the legendary "silver '60s," embodied by the edgy New York underground experience. It's easy to see why young people today are drawn to her. After all, they feel deprived of certain freedoms--sexual, emotional, experiential--and they're haunted by all the dangers and threats that engulf their daily lives. The smart ones know and resent how everything is marketed to them until it all feels the same. They see a world where nothing is spontaneous or authentic, and they yearn for a time when things were "real." Edie incarnates all that--the paradise lost, the Camelot. It was a simpler time. It was fun. None of us knew that anyone would become so famous or die so young. We were just out having a good time. Crazy, right?

I know, it really sums up their situation doesn't it?

I also find it hard to believe Jane couldn't have predicted Edie's early death, seeing as how many people attested to her dangerous habits having made her a slow moving train wreck, even early on. I suppose Edie did give the impression of being able to take care of herself and rise above the madness in her life, and Jane probably wasn't close enough with Edie to know of the issues she was dealing with either.

Here is the article written by Jane about Edie:

Edie Sedgwick emotionally represents and has come to symbolize something that young people believe is missing from their lives today: the pure authenticity and personal freedom of the '60s. These were the legendary "silver '60s," embodied by the edgy New York underground experience. It's easy to see why young people today are drawn to her. After all, they feel deprived of certain freedoms--sexual, emotional, experiential--and they're haunted by all the dangers and threats that engulf their daily lives. The smart ones know and resent how everything is marketed to them until it all feels the same. They see a world where nothing is spontaneous or authentic, and they yearn for a time when things were "real." Edie incarnates all that--the paradise lost, the Camelot. It was a simpler time. It was fun. None of us knew that anyone would become so famous or die so young. We were just out having a good time. Crazy, right?

yea she probably avoided her personally because I believed Edie to be the type of person who would open up about her demons. Tell just a few about her childhood, her family and why she left and what she yearns for, whenever she wasn't that stoned. What Jane wrote there was absolutely truthful and beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waldzios
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->