Joaquin Phoenix in Rehab

Belowen

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20050412/111336432000.html

Joaquin Phoenix saw the signs and has decided to get some help for his alcohol problem.

The Oscar-nominated actor announced Tuesday that he had voluntarily checked himself into an undisclosed rehab facility two weeks ago to kick his booze habit.

Phoenix was "uncomfortable with the way that he was living his life and found the courage to deal with his disease," said his publicist Susan Patricola in a brief statement.

"He has welcomed the opportunity to change his life in a positive and profound way, in the hopes that coming forward will encourage others with the same disease to get help as well."

No further details were disclosed. The 29-year-old Signs star knows first-hand the tragedy of substance abuse. His older brother, River, died of a drug overdose in 1993 after a night of partying in Hollywood.

Despite starring in blockbusters like last summer's The Village, 2002's Signs and 2000's Gladiator, which earned him a Best Supporting Actor nomination, Joaquin Phoenix has managed to maintain a lower profile than his Hollywood peers.

"The less someone knows about me, the better, because my intention is to play a variety of characters," Phoenix once told E! Online.

Aside from The Village, Phoenix starred in four films last year: the firefighter flick Ladder 49 with John Travolta, the Oscar-nominated Hotel Rwanda with Don Cheadle and the little-seen indie It's All About Love, which costarred Sean Penn and Claire Danes.

Phoenix recently completed narration for the documentary Earthlings, which tackles the subject of animal abuse and features appearances by Pamela Anderson, James Cromwell, Bill Maher and Charlize Theron. The film debuts later this month at the Hollywood Film Festival. Phoenix is also earning early Oscar buzz for his role as late music legend Johnny Cash opposite Reese Witherspoon in the anticipated biopic Walk the Line. Phoenix learned to play guitar and does his own singing in the film, which is due in November.

:cry: :heart:

I'm glad that he caught himself before it became a big issue. Best wishes and good luck to him. :heart: :lucky:

i love Joaquin.... alky or not, he's awesome. the only actor i like in H-wood

Poor guy. I always thought he was one of the most under-rated actors in Hollywood. I hope he gets the help he needs.

I'm surprised for two reasons. First of all because his brother died of drug use and it supposedly hit him hard.

Secondly is because he's a total hippy/vegav/naturalist, I'm surprised that he would actually injest alcohol.

^ Well, River was a hippy/vegan/naturalist too, wasn't he? But I agree that it's surprising considering River's death. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I believe that their inability to deal with "hollywood life", or whatever it may be, at least in some part is due to their strange upbringing.

I hope that he completes rehab and that it helps him.....

this is so common, that it doesnt even phase me, sadly...
But best wishes to him.

i hope he recovers well :heart:

explains why he has been looking a bit bloated latley......

The Phoenxis certainly had an unconventional upbringing, add to that the fact they grew up as Hollywood child stars.

It was awful what happened to River, to lose a brother like that.. and have your emergency phone call played over and over again. Couldn't have been easy. I have a lot of time for Joaquin and wish the guy best of luck!

hmm alcoholism may run in the family. i hope he gets all the help he needs!

Yeah best of luck to him.I really like Joaquin,he seems pretty down to earth to me.

I hope he gets better...it's so sad with all the abuse problems there have been in his family.

^^^ really?? i didnt know he had family problems like that..either way, hes a great actor so i hope he gets better!

I_Want_That_One said:
^^^ really?? i didnt know he had family problems like that..either way, hes a great actor so i hope he gets better!

Well I think that his brother was the only other one who abused drugs, no?

I don't think Liberty Pheonix ever had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenandrebecca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->