Joey George - Hair Stylist

Benn98

Reaction score
29511710_1720425764670420_3275679722279667785_n.jpg

New York hairstylist Joey George shares his visual diary of hair

The session stylist fills scrapbooks with doodles, paintings and collages – all dedicated to hair

Posted in People | 23 March 2018
Interview Emma de Clercq

Joey George first arrived to New York City from Pennsylvania to pursue a career as a ballet dancer, but soon found his head turned by the artistic possibilities of a life in hair. He began working as a session stylist, and his varied hair creations were soon appearing on the pages of Vogue, Elle and Harper’s Bazaar.

In 2014, George created a series of bespoke wigs for Lady Gaga, destined for her ARTPOP world tour. Now based between New York and London, his current focus is on renovating his New York studio office, with plans to open up the space as a gallery to showcase his latest projects.

Throughout his career, George has kept personal scrapbooks in which to develop his own sculptural hair creations. Documenting his ideas through photographs, sketches, paintings and collages, George explains that keeping a visual diary allows him to indulge his more ‘out there’ ideas, as well as nurturing both his love of hair and art in one place. “I found that once I started, the pages began filling up quite quickly,” he explains, “I find the process very therapeutic”.

“I’ve been documenting hairstyles and creating visuals as supporting references to show to various photographers and designers for years”
Joey George

Do you remember the first moment you realised that hair was the thing for you? When I was about eight years old my grandmother taught me to braid. She would get her hair washed and set into place once, maybe twice a week in the local parlour. She would bring me along; I would sit under the dryer and pretend to have my hair dried. When I was 10 or 11, I cut my nanny’s hair with crayola scissors during a bedtime story… I don’t think she was very happy with that snip!

Tell us about your scrapbooks, what do you use them for? I’ve been documenting hairstyles and creating visuals as supporting references to show to various photographers and designers for years. It was all part of my creative process of developing hair content for a project. When I share references I want it to come from my own perspective, of what I think would be best for the model. I’m a very intuitive person, so visualising a subject in its final form is very easy for me. Then to translate my perspective to another artist, I would draw, paint or collage in my book.

Which artists inspire you? I’m a huge fan of Jean Cocteau. He experimented with several artistic platforms: writing, film, painting, drawing, acting, designing… He’s a huge inspiration to me.

What was it like working with Lady Gaga for her ARTPOP tour? LG is such an incredible artist. She’s a chameleon with her beauty and is constantly evolving, so you have to exercise your creativity by experimenting. Developing hairstyles and wigs for her while travelling around Europe was one of the most memorable experiences of my career. She performed 80 shows!

You live between London and New York – which city has better hair? Haha, that’s a hard one! Both cities are saturated in diverse cultures. While New York has been my home for the majority of my adult life, London is where I connect with emerging designers and artists, whom I feel are experimenting with fashion and art in new ways.

Infringe.com

Vogue Australia February 2019

Making Moves

Photographer: Jason Kibbler
Stylist: Natasha Royt
Hair: Joey George
Makeup: Francelle
Manicure: Dawn Sterling
Set Design: Julier Jernigan
Cast: Dipti Sharma

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Vogue Germany April 2019

Naturgeschichten

Photographer: Stas Komarovski
Stylist: Maximilian Aufschnaiter
Makeup: Cyndle Komarovski
Manicure: Lorandy
Cast: Laura Roth

viWMdOEg_t.jpg

Vogue Germany Digital Edition

UK Vogue April 2019

Modern Way

Stylist: Naomi Smart, Donna Wallace
Makeup: Cyndle Komarovski
Manicure: Lauren Michelle Pires
Cast: Katja Andre, Juliane Gruner, Melody Lulu Briggs, Africa Peñalver, Zoe Thaets

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Vogue Russia March 2019

Stylist: Svetlana Vashenyak
Makeup: Cyndle K
Manicure: Eri Handa
Cast: Blesnya Minher

Vogue Russia Digital Edition

Vogue Russia March 2019

Photographer: Ben Hassett
Stylist: Stella Greenspan
Makeup: Violette
Cast: Manami Kinoshita, Sasha Knysh, Mads Mullins

Vogue Russia Digital Edition

Vogue Latin America February 2019

Punto De Vista: Lineisy Montero

Stylist: Maya Zepinic
Makeup: Cyndle K
Manicure: Eri Handa
Set Design: Danielle Selig
Cast: Lineisy Montero

Vogue Latin America Digital Edition

V Magazine #116 Winter 2018

Cruise in Place

Photographer: Tim Richardson
Stylist: Michelle Cameron
Hair: Andrea Martinelli/Joey George
Makeup: Miki Matsunaga/Yuki Hayashi
Manicure: Jenny Longworth
Cast: Felice Kolibius, Mariana Zaragoza, Julee Huang, Demi De Vries, Ling Liu, Mona Matsuoka, Nisaa Pouncey, Kennah Lau

V Magazine Digital Edition

Vogue Germany February 2019

In Topform

Photographer: Ben Hassett
Stylist: Nicola Knels
Makeup: Francelle
Manicure: Naomi Yusada
Cast: Ling Liu, Riane Herzik, Rose Valentine, Veronika Vilim

Vogue Germany Digital Edition

Vogue Paris April 2019

Le Futur De La Peau