• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Journalistic jargon, Catch-phrases, One-liners & other notes on Editorial Soundbites

ellastica

Reaction score
I think there are certain editorial themes, catch-phrases, buzzwords and general thematic trends in fashion publications which I'm naturally attuned to and presumably others fellow magazines addicts observe and may enjoy sharing.

Especially in the digital age I think it's fascinating how catch-phrases, in the context of fashion and pop-culture publications, proliferate and become common place.

[ Here we can post and discuss observations on interesting magazine cover-lines, article captions etc, editorial theme trends.]

I love giving a quick flip through any fashion/pop-culture mag to take in word efficiency exercises: tongue-in-cheek wit packed one-liners or revel in a cheesy celebrity pull-quote soundbite.

Oh the de rigueur celebrity interview aka "A Conversation with..."

This is kind of a lame example but I remember reading years ago a feature in US VOGUE about Hilary Rhoda entitled "This Year's Model" and loving this witty wink and nod to the Elvis Costello song of the same name.

A recent so bad it's good editorial title which struck a chord, "Beige Against The Machine" :lol: courtesy Man of the World magazine.

Zingy one-liners, Pop Culture references sprinkled through out from like-minded writers and spotting patterns in themes etc is what makes me appreciate and actually want to read fashion magazines in the first place.

Aubrey Plaza shot by Emily Schur for
BUST magazine October/November 2012:
Words by Lisa Butterworth
Make-up: Roz Music
Hair: David Gardner
Stylist: Jessica Pastor
Nails: Beth Fricke

This being BUST of course Feminism is the driving thematic force and it's influence can now be seen blazing across the covers of mainstream fashion glossies.

"The Incredible Sulk"
aubrey-1-1024x633.jpg

"What's my Coverline Gonna Say?" A brilliant quote which perfectly captures the social media age mentality and the concept of "Personal Branding."
aubrey-2-1024x631.jpg

"Most Girls learn to touch a penis at some point, and it's weird. Hello, it's weird. But it happens and no one is talking about it."
aubrey-3-1024x655.jpg

SOURCE: emilyschur.com

Theme: Nostalgia | Buzzword: Conversation

Reading this article last year in Aperture Magazine, Issue #216, Fall 2014 is what got me seriously contemplating the idea of of catch-phrases in the context of editorials:

This gradual yet widespread practice of trading out the word "Interview" for the word "Conversation" in magazine's:

"Emmanuelle Alt: Conversation with Penny Martin"

On the Misuse of the Word, 'Conversation' via chicagolibrarian.com

Also the concept of "Nostalgia" popped up in this Alt/ Aperture interview in the opening sentence accompanied by this nostalgia riffing image of Alt from behind

Inez & Vinoodh, Emmanuelle Alt, 2014 ©
216_interior_2.jpg

source: courtesy Gagosian Gallery, New York, and The Collective Shift

Drew Barrymore shot by Inez & Vinoodh for Another magazine 2005:
Inez_Vinoodh_Gagosian_Paris_1-716x716.jpg

source: potd.pdnonline.com

A feature article in Vanity Fair examining 90s Nostalgia written by James Walcott.

"The 90s are Alive and Well - but is Nostalgia a thing of The Past?"

image.jpg

90S NIRVANA Clockwise from top left: Anita Hill taking the oath before the Senate Judiciary Committee; Beavis (right) and Butt-Head; Michael Jordan; O. J. Simpson at his murder trial; Jerry Seinfeld; Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves; Kurt Cobain

source: vanityfair.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->