Just a Thought on LV bashing...

kimberlymarie

Reaction score
After browsing this site it seems that many posters on here have a negative attitude towards LV....while seeking out many trendy "fad" bags such as Chloe Paddington and the Balenciaga Motorcycle bag. I agree that the multicolore bags are overdone and tacky, but why the general negative attitude toward LV? I myself adore LV, not the trendy pieces, but I have a Speedy 30 that I absolutely adore. Some of the LV bags (such as my monogram Speedy 30) have been around and popular since the 30's. If something has been a classic piece for so long, I don't feel that an authentic well-made piece such as the Speedy will ever go out of style. Now, as for the Cerises and Multicolore bags, that's a different story. I am also aware of the abundance of fakes, but a true collector can tell the difference between the authentic LV bags and the awful fakes. Just wondering why the general negative attitude toward a designer I consider a classic...

I dont mind the speedy LV bag actually, I was considering one myself a while ago. :flower: Its just like you said though - people are sick of the fakes so it kinda puts people off them. Also, theres no need to be defensive because you love LV and others dont. :wink:

My problem with LV is not that they do not make some nice, classic bags; my problem is the disgustingly tacky and utterly unstylish people who normally carry them. While some of the pieces may be classic, the people who normally use them are complete trend victims. I do think, however, if the person has the personality and style to pull them off, that there are a very limited number of styles that are still acceptable.

Welcome to tFS, Kim! :flower:

I don't think anyone is arguing against LV being classic. I would imagine that even the most adamant LV haters will agree that LV is classic. I think the problem is oversaturation. Everyone and their sister, their sister's best friend, and her best friend’s dog is carrying an LV monogram - it's all just a bit too much. Personally, I've tucked every LV monogram bag I own safely in its dust bag…just waiting for this fad to blow over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks kitten! I can see where the oversaturation element can kick in with the monogram...I do feel like the fad may blow over soon as I am starting to see more fakes with other brands of bags such as Gucci, and even Hermes, which is a scary thought.

MJCouture said:
...my problem is the disgustingly tacky and utterly unstylish people who normally carry them.

Never used to be that way before... :innocent:

I don't bash LV ... I like a lot of Marc's designs--including the cherries. About half the girls in my college freshman class had Speedy bags, so that's where I got the idea that they weren't very original, & something "everyone did." This probably isn't typical ... there seemed to be a lot of followers where I went to school :D I also didn't like the way they didn't hold their shape over time. Some of the girls had hand-me-downs from Mom that were starting to show some wear.

I agree that it's pretty cool for something to have been around since the 30s. I like companies that have a long tradition. (You notice there's a lot of Burberry bashing here too--a company I've been buying from since before it was trendy. I just ignore it ^_^)

Hi kimberlymarie, I don't anyone would even disagree that some of the LV lines are classics and right up there with the Chanel 2.55, among other types of bags.
There are some gorgeous bags/lines from LV, I myself am personally partial to the speedy 30, the epi lines and the Suhali line.
However, I think what ticks people off is the recent poor showing from LV for its seasonal collections. Some may agree that the graffiti line was refreshing and the cherry blossoms from Mukarami cute, but I think the cerises and multicolour as well as the dalmatian LVs really crossed the line. Plus the saturation of fakes as well as how it is carried badly with certain people, has not helped LV recently.

The sad thing about LV is that it is overexposed and it is all too easy to associate it with fakes. But I believe that the "negativity" that you may see here is directed towards how it is badly carried, as well as the recent tacky collections, e.g the cerises.

Im glad you brought this up Kimberlymarie- I have had the same ? since i joined...

it seems to me that for anyone who really loves bags, there will always be ones that they love and ones that they really dont like. i never liked LV, i think in large part because for a long time i hated the color brown. back when i first became interested in designer bags, a lot of my friends had LVs and i never saw why they liked them, i really didnt get it. and like others have said, the oversaturation is a big factor. plus (and this is just my opinion, im sure some will disagree) a well made LV fake can look just like the real thing...that takes away from the bag too IMO.

but, i do understand where youre coming from, because i love Balenciaga bags and they get their fair share of bashing..that like you said, theyre "faddy" and oversaturated. i take it with a grain of salt because i know that all that matters is that :::i::: love it-it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

that said, i would go for an LV wallet in epi...my bf has one and its divine :smile:

i think most people don't hate lv, they just hate logos. which i don't quite understand either, because if i like a bag, it's shape or whatever, i buy it, whether it has logos on it or not. i know many people say that such bags scream "i'm wearing gucci/dior/lv..." but people who know fashion recognize all the bags, not just the one with the logos. so why is that more tacky? i say a gucci bag is a gucci bag, to me there's no difference. but that's just me :flower:

I agree with all of you guys, just a question I'd been pondering for a while...thanks for the input :wink:

JJ- I feel the same way about logos...a nice bag is a nice bag regardless what logos it does or does not have. I have a monogram Gucci hobo that I adore, logos and all :D

Fashionista- As for Burberry, it's sad that they, too have fallen victim to fakes and overexposure. But, the fashion world is so fickle that the LV and Burberry overexposure will run its course and I will be anxious to pull my scarf out of the closet again!

I must admit I don't dislike LV bags but I'm very tired of them. I think if you see the same "fake" item [[always fake where i live]] day after day you'll grow to resent them a little.

kimberlymarie said:
Some of the LV bags (such as my monogram Speedy 30) have been around and popular since the 30's. If something has been a classic piece for so long, I don't feel that an authentic well-made piece such as the Speedy will ever go out of style.

The company has been around for a long time but personally I think the quality of the bags is going downhill. I have a speedy and a coin purse that are both over 10 years old and they're getting nicely worn but they're holding up well. The newer bags just seem "cheaper". Also...and this really bugs me...if I go to the LV store in London I can get a monogram painted onto the luggage, bag, etc...any of the stores I checked with in the US do offer a monogram service but the monograms are just transfers. One SA even warned me that I had to be careful because they'd peel off! If you're a luxury house with a heritage and tradition you should do everything in your power to maintain it. I don't think LV is doing that at the moment. Not that I hate LV or Marc Jacobs, I just think it's sad.

Hipkitten said:
Personally, I've tucked every LV monogram bag I own safely in its dust bag…just waiting for this fad to blow over.
That is EXACTLY what I'm doing as well!!:lol: All the canvas monogram bags are in "cold storage":doh: :huh:

The only LV bags that I still carry these days are my Noelie and Alma Haut. Both are in monogram mini, in red & blue. I haven't seen any fakes of these 2 bags....at least not yet. :unsure:

My problem with LV is a completely personal one: I dislike anything with logos on it. This goes for bags, shirts, anything. Personally I feel like the design of LV bags are nothing really special, and the quality can be found in other brands, the only real draw for MOST people is the logo and the fact that they think it makes them look wealthy. Of course this isn't true for everyone, and is certainly not an attack towards you, but there are a lot of people who buy LVs only to show off. I figure that if I'm spending that much money on a bag it shouldn't be advertising anything but me, so I prefer to go with plain leather bags. But you're right, they will last a long time and be popular for years. Everyone has their own preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->