Kate Barry,daughter of Jane Birkin,dies from apartment fall

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Kate Barry, daughter of Jane Birkin, dies after apartment fall

British photographer Kate Barry, daughter of singer-actress Jane Birkin, died Wednesday after falling from the fourth floor of her Paris apartment building, informed sources said, confirming a media report.

According to a source, Barry, 46, fell from her home in a chic area of the French capital. She apparently fell from a window.

Barry lived alone in the apartment that was locked from the inside. Anti-depressants were found in her home, according to the source.

Barry was the daughter of British-born Birkin and British composer John Barry, famous for writing James Bond movie themes, who died in 2011.

Birkin and John Barry separated the year of Kate Barry's birth in 1967 and she was brought up until her teenage years by Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg.

Kate Barry was also the half-sister of actresses Charlotte Gainsbourg and Lou Doillon.

Her death was first reported on the Pure People website.

pau-pcm/pvh/jw

*globalpost.com

What?! :cry:

That's so sad!... poor Jane, my heart goes out to her (and Lou and Charlotte). :(

I loved the photoshoots she did with Vanessa Paradis.
Sometimes medications make things worse.

What a tragic event! My thoughts go out to the whole Barry/Birkin/Gainsbourg/Doillon family.

British-born photographer Kate Barry, daughter of the actor and singer Jane Birkin, has died after falling from the window of her fourth-floor Paris flat.

Her body was found around 6.30pm on Wednesday on the pavement outside her home in the 16th arrondissement.

Barry, 46, was Birkin's eldest daughter and was born in London. Her father was the British composer John Barry, best known for his film music including the James Bond theme and Out of Africa. He died in 2011.

Her parents separated shortly after she was born in 1967, and Birkin moved to France where she brought up her daughter with the French singer Serge Gainsbourg, and later the film director Jacques Doillon.

Barry carved out a name for herself as a fashion photographer, but in France remained less famous than her actor half-sisters, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Lou Doillon. Barry once said she preferred to remain behind the scenes.

"At first, I was better known because of my family: my mother, my stepfather, my father, my sisters … now I hope I'm known a bit more for my own work," Barry said.

She was thought to have been alone in the flat, where antidepressants were reportedly found by police, who have launched an inquiry into her death. The door to her flat was locked from the inside.

"The matter is under investigation, but we can confirm the death," a police spokesperson said on Thursday.

Birkin has often spoken about her closeness to her daughters, saying not a week passed when she did not talk to all three.

"My eldest daughter, Kate, looks most like me. She's a photographer. She had a Polaroid camera in her hand from a young age and photographed her sisters all the time," Birkin, 66, said in an interview.

Barry spent many years battling drug and alcohol addiction and in 1994 set up a free centre for addicts in France.

Two years later she began her photography career, which took off with a major exhibition in Japan. Afterwards her images were published in several major publications, including British Vogue and Paris Match.

As well as her mother and half-sisters, she leaves a 26-year-old son, Roman de Kermadec.

guardian.com

so far there has been no confirmation whether this was purely just a tragic accident or something more serious,as alluded to by that one detail. i think it's wise not to speculate too much at this point. it's so sad though because i remember watching her with her mum and sisters on a french programme not too long ago and they performed together as well. i just remember being enamoured by how close they all were and kate specifically seemed to act like big sister. jane i'm sure is devastated….kate being her first born. my sympathies with her and the sisters. and obviously with kate's son.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad loss; she was so young!

It's always sad to lose someone special, but for it to happen so close to the holidays ... it must make it somehow more difficult in a way.

My heart goes out to the family.

my heart goes out to everyone she loved, and who loved her. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->