KATHERINE HAMNETT For Tesco

dontlookatme!

Reaction score
I don't think anyone's posted anything about this range so thought I'd do the honours. Katherine Hamnett has designed a range exclusively for Tesco. Hamnett, best known for the "Choose Life" T-shirt of the 80's pioneered by George Michael, and the "58% don't want Pershing" T-shirt she wore to meet Margaret Thatcher:
has produced the entire range from fairtrade cotton. The collection includes Slouchy T-shirts, large and long enough to be worn as gorgeous tee dresses this summer, hoodies and tops, but the main star of this range is the revival of the "Choose Life" T-shirts which reads "CHOOSE LOVE."
These sold out the minute they hit the shops and were carried by only 40 stores nationwide making them near impossible to get hold of.

I managed to get hold of a few (being a Northener I'm blessed with less stylish people per square mile than my Southern counterparts!) so am sharing the love by selling them on ebay. I wore mine out a week ago as a dress with tights and boots and it rocked. It makes it even better it's for a good cause. Definitely my favourite designer-for-supermarket range yet. Check out Hamnett's video on youtube too to find out more. What dya think?

unspoiledbird said:
wow, even supermarkets are cashing in on this -_-

Um...not really, at £12 a pop I think these are a bargain for such a cool shirt, renowned designer and great cause.

X

which cause? anyone can reproduce the logo print on their own T's without cashing in 12 pounds ..

even though i somehow respect mme Hamnet for what she did 20 years ago, i seriously can't see the artistic/creative motive/point behind this collaboration

Lena said:
which cause? anyone can reproduce the logo print on their own T's without cashing in 12 pounds ..

even though i somehow respect mme Hamnet for what she did 20 years ago, i seriously can't see the artistic/creative motive/point behind this collaboration

The cause being fairtrade. The range only uses organic cotton farmed in India and all other attachments/fixtures are 100% organic, right down to the recycled zips.
Have a look at this article: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/04/hamnett-observer.php

and this

http://www.clothingattesco.com/chooseLove/creating.html

For a fashionable item that's also saving the planet and tackling global ethical issues, I think this is a snip at £12. Especially as fashionistas would be willing to pay well over that price for a piece of Hamnett fashion. Also, you'd probably pay around the same for a similar slogan tee in Tesco not by Hamnett or from fairtrade farmers, so they're hardly cashing in (i.e bumping up the price for the designers name).

dontlookatme, whats your source for the images?

i actually like the t shirts.

how cute are these kids tees?!??

k6.jpg
k4.jpg

source: http://www.clothingattesco.com/chooseLove/kids.html

wow,i think that's quite a good idea actually...if...the use of the fair-trade cottons will be emphasised with the t'shirts?? that seems to be the point,no?

She should do a collabo w/ Barneys, reissue Choose Life and come up w/ a bunch of new politically charged tees (re: Bush and Gay Marriage...This is Barneys), she could charge $150 a pop and still have them sell out.

dontlookatme! said:
The cause being fairtrade. The range only uses organic cotton farmed in India and all other attachments/fixtures are 100% organic, right down to the recycled zips.
Have a look at this article: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/04/hamnett-observer.php

and this

http://www.clothingattesco.com/chooseLove/creating.html

).

ah, thanks for making it clear
this makes this line quite very legitimate, even for me who totally hates designer/supermarket collaborations..

I kinda like these, i just saw one of your auctions, don'tlookatme!! Ain't these avail at n-a-p too?

index.jpg

45 GBP

index.jpg

45 GBP

I prefer the choose love..

Both pictures from net-a-porter.com

I really like the t-shirts but I'm a little disappointed it's with Tesco...although it is for a good cause, I just really hate these huge supermarkets

I prefer Choose Life, has much more meaning personally than Choose Love...Omg they should have one...Choose Chanel! Choose Dior! Choose Sanjaya!

dontlookatme! said:
Um...not really, at £12 a pop I think these are a bargain for such a cool shirt, renowned designer and great cause.

X

you're right, i was in a rush didn't really read the whole article throughly :blush: but my initial thought was fashion + tesco? = wtffffffff

it still seems like an odd concept, but as long as it's for a good cause then that's pretty cool :flower:

i find the t-shirts themselves nevertheless corny. just my personal opinion :ninja:

Lena said:

totally agree...in fact it almost goes againt hamnett's previous anti-big-corporates image......

^you know,i had forgotten about that! i dunno...

lucy92 said:
dontlookatme, whats your source for the images?

i actually like the t shirts.

They're my own personal images Lucy, that's moi modelling my own! It's weird coz it looks abit short in the photo but it SO works as a dress in real life.
K
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kev007
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->