Kris Van Assche

Yeah,he did a workwear-inspired collection emphasised by a mere pen as an accessory.

This little bit from the JC Report:
Raf Simons and Kris Van Assche added tailoring with a steely, modern edge; we saw this in Simons' tiny jackets and baggy pleated pants (which were a development of last season's groundbreaking show), and Van Assche's equally snug fits and low-slung pants, which look to mature men with youthful spirits for inspiration, gave a nod to his mentor Hedi Slimane.

it came with a single picture:
menstrend-3-big.jpg

I'm loving this one look - I'd buy it in its entirety!

Last edited by a moderator:
baklanyc said:
This little bit from the JC Report:
Raf Simons and Kris Van Assche added tailoring with a steely, modern edge; we saw this in Simons' tiny jackets and baggy pleated pants (which were a development of last season's groundbreaking show), and Van Assche's equally snug fits and low-slung pants, which look to mature men with youthful spirits for inspiration, gave a nod to his mentor Hedi Slimane.

it came with a single picture:
menstrend-3-big.jpg

I'm loving this one look - I'd buy it in its entirety!

baklanyc, I second you. :flower::flower: But the list of stockists of Kris van Assche isn't out yet, is it?

This just in from The Daily:

PARIS RIGHT NOW:
Buzz abounds at Kris Van Assche

Thursday, February 03, 2005

SEEN: What is buzz? In 2005 fashion speak buzz is something that gets your name out there, gets butts on seats and hopefully not only gets critics to sit up and take notice but, more importantly, customers too.

Working in the shadow of a designer for six years is bound to have its effects on any assistant’s independent work. So it was for Belgian designer Kris Van Assche who inherited not just the lean, low-waist design aesthetic of his mentor Hedi Slimane but also Slimane’s show production company KCD and the space that the departed Helmut Lang, also with KCD, made his own. No mean feat for a first timer. Buzz of such a caliber means not only the most important press and buyers in the business but also a pretty heavy promise to live up to.

“After four years in college in Antwerp the plan was always to be an independent designer,” Van Assche told The Daily after a strongly received debut of lean tailoring with a street vibe. That meant skinny jackets with low riding trousers and white sneakers or, for chic mechanics, those same jackets over the shoulders of boilersuits. That aspect of functionality came through in the waistcoats and cargo pants resplendent with pockets, pockets even appearing on sweatshirt hoods, but perfectly cut herringbone coats and a Panama hat worn just so hinted at a mature, more discerning clientele.

The three aged gents who closed the show to rapturous applause—a timely gimmick for an over-long event—crystallized outing number one for a designer with a pure, clear message. “These men were my inspiration—how they looked represented everything I wanted to say,” the slim-line Van Assche said.

SCENE: A highly edited selection of major-league fashion eds being ducked backstage for a pre-show meet with the unknown designer. (He graduated from Antwerp Academy with Bernhard Willhelm.)

“Did you SEE that front row? Jesus!” said anonymous French editor on the high-octane turnout.

Colette’s Sarah Lerfel and L’Eclaireur’s Armand Hadida—both of which sell Dior Homme in Paris—bursting into grins when the three gents appeared for the climax.

Bloomingdale’s Kal Ruttenstein and the Chambre Syndicale’s Didier Ggrumbach, side-by-side, both in green and sucking yellow Chupa Chups.

Last edited by a moderator:
good for him! Sounds like we'll be hearing/seeing a lot more of this gentleman.

Bakla--I LOVE that look, cargo waistcoats. Can't wait to see more.

Found more, but couldn't directly link so I combined them all. The designer is the last pic.

KrisVanAsscheFW06.jpg

Not as progressive as I'd hoped, but nice nevertheless. The tie details are too tricksy for me, but is it me, or does his easy silhouettle look very Helmut Lang (not to mention that severed collar ribbing on the maroon sweater looking VERY Lang)? Aside from the cargo vest, I'm loving the grey cable sweater a lot.

Damn you!!! That sweater is the best piece here. I was swooning over it and scrolled down to see your thoughts:lol:

I like the 2tone belts the second picture is very nice. The leather looks cool as well. I'm curious what's up with the lapel on the 6th pic--are they flaps or printed on like the tie(which I think would be cool at an urban outfitters price point:ninja:) A big resounding NO! to the sweatpants though! I'm sure he will develop nicely. There's definitely good stuff and he's already got the hype started.

I concur...the cable sweater for sure. But I like the trompe l'oeil tie motif's though.

Is it my imagination or is Kris wearing one of those trendy cancer bracelets?

Looks ok, nothing ground-breaking.

The sweater is nice, i'd be curious about the craftsmanship on these pieces.

purechris said:
Damn you!!! That sweater is the best piece here. I was swooning over it and scrolled down to see your thoughts:lol:

I like the 2tone belts the second picture is very nice. The leather looks cool as well. I'm curious what's up with the lapel on the 6th pic--are they flaps or printed on like the tie(which I think would be cool at an urban outfitters price point:ninja:) A big resounding NO! to the sweatpants though! I'm sure he will develop nicely. There's definitely good stuff and he's already got the hype started.

Is it both - two sewn-in patterns on the lapels, as well as two protruding flaps?

The sweaters and the duotonal belt are great. BTW, is the belt made of canvas or leather?

Thanks again for the pictures, bakla! :flower:

You're welcome, raimund!

raimund said:
Is Marjolijn van den Heuvel another? The time when Gilles Rosier worked at Dior should much precede the rebranding of Dior menswear into Dior Homme, but I'm really :unsure:.

DNR mentioned Rosier as having worked formerly for Jean Paul Gaultier, and one other brand I can't remember right now, but no mention of Dior.

Also in DNR, it was mentioned that Saks Fifth Avenue is having a banner season, picking up 4 new menswear designers: Kriss Van Assche (pronounced "Ash"), Roberto Menichetti, Marni & Paul Smith main line will all be in store for Fall 2005.

baklanyc said:
You're welcome, raimund!

DNR mentioned Rosier as having worked formerly for Jean Paul Gaultier, and one other brand I can't remember right now, but no mention of Dior.

Also in DNR, it was mentioned that Saks Fifth Avenue is having a banner season, picking up 4 new menswear designers: Kriss Van Assche (pronounced "Ash"), Roberto Menichetti, Marni & Paul Smith main line will all be in store for Fall 2005.

OMG, that store is truly pathetic, no vision, no direction, no coherence, no nothing. Bakla, can you put in a word for me for a creative director position?

faust said:
OMG, that store is truly pathetic, no vision, no direction, no coherence, no nothing. Bakla, can you put in a word for me for a creative director position?
I wish. Lord knows the problem is that what works in NYC won't necessarily wash anywhere else, and you have to think 'chain' as opposed to boutique with Saks. Hell, even when I sold them mannequins, different states required different looks because of the differing fashion senses, despite the supposed need to maintain a consistent coporporate fashion look...

Found an interview with kris in a Belgian magazine called 'weekend-knack'.
Sorry the picture is in black-white.
The scan of the text is very bad.
Hard too read.
It's about his life and how he became a designer.
How he loves living inParis. How he grew up In Londerzeel. And he also says that fashion doesn't belong in a museum.

the designer in A/W 05 pieces
from minorityrev

1115189512.jpg

ionn26 said:
Hmm.. I am sooooo curious to see what he is like!!!

Seems that may be 'behind every great man is a smart wife'. May be these 4 talents are the REAL designers for Dior Homme. Since they are all gone.. DH is doing BAD BAD BAD!!!!

I would love to see Assche's work!!!! Another Belgium designer... TRULY amazing...

Not to mention he is such a cutie!B:(lol:

Funny you mention this: I was just gonna reply back that since these designers are no longer w/ DH, maybe that could explain why DH hasnt captivated me the same way it used to in the beginning. But it looks like you beat me to it, ionn26.

Either way, I'd definitely love to see where this goes in the next few seasons. Seems like he might have something interesting to offer.

And yes, he is a cutie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger2984
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->