etre soi-meme
Reaction score
it doesnt come as a complete surprise,
Hollywood stars have a new fave design house
quite an improvement for the 'hollywood' taste

credits to wwd :flower:

Lanvin’s Elbaz Attracts Stars in Hollywood
By Rose Apodaca Jones
Los Angeles — Even in this jaded town of bold-face celebrities, there seems to be little that beats a personal appearance by a rising star like Lanvin creative director Alber Elbaz.

Elbaz was on his first visit here last week since joining the French house in fall 2001, and chalked up $700,000 in fall orders for Lanvin during a trunk show Thursday and Friday at Barneys New York. That marked a record for the Beverly Hills flagship, surpassing a high of $300,000 for a designer trunk show at the door last month by Emanuel Ungaro ready-to-wear designer Giambattista Valli.

While Lanvin has announced it would get out of the watch business and seek a license for its perfumes in an effort to stem losses of $26.8 million in 2003 on sales of $97.6 million, women’s ready-to-wear sales at the 115-year-old Paris house have increased tenfold since Elbaz signed on, now accounting for 16 percent of total sales.

Last week’s numbers were helped by the critically acclaimed collection, enjoyed during a gala at the Wilshire Boulevard store May 12 by 400 guests, including co-hosts Kelly Lynch and Anjelica Huston, Calista Flockhart, Kristin Davis, Sheryl Crow, Elizabeth Wiatt, Jacqui Getty and Jaime Tisch.

To die-hard fans such as Chloë Sevigny, Elbaz’s appeal lies in his thoughtful, old-school approach to the craft of dressmaking over the flash and fame sought by many designers caught in the modern cult of celebrity.

“He’s my favorite, he’s so sincere,” said Sevigny, who arrived swathed in a pumpkin charmeuse dress. “For eveningwear, no one compares to his quality and sophistication. If I could wear him every night I would.”

The soft-spoken designer isn’t wont to do the cocktail circuit out of self-promotion. “He’s so charming, so humble. That’s what I love about him,” said China Chow.

Elbaz preferred his friend, Barneys creative director Simon Doonan, to reprise his turn as a cheeky fashion commentator during the presentation, which he delivered with aplomb.

Doonan and his team also emptied the second floor of its designer stock, transforming the space into a lush Parisian dinner club illuminated only by oversize antique candelabras atop dozens of long tables. The floor was returned to its working state by morning, in time for the trunk show.

Elbaz overcame his shyness for the gala, walking the red carpet and posing for photographers throughout the night because the event benefited The r*pe Treatment Center, the Santa Monica, Calif., nonprofit organization of the UCLA Medical Center.

His presence proved good for charity and business. The event raised $40,000 for the treatment center. Thursday’s day-long trunk show alone, with Elbaz’s personal appearance, produced orders of $500,000, beginning with an 8 a.m. visit by Demi Moore.

“I know we have a lot of great women wearing our clothes and I’m very, very happy,” Elbaz said some 12 hours before the frenzy, over coffee on Barneys’ balcony looking out onto the Hollywood hills. “Whether they are famous or not doesn’t matter. I want to work with people. Not for them and not under them. When you run after stars and try to get into the system [of dressing celebrities] it’s very hard. We don’t have the means to do that. I am not willing to do it.”

Luckily for Elbaz, he has influential friends who are. Sevigny has followed his career from Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche to Lanvin, where Elbaz arrived a year after it was acquired from beauty monolith L’Oréal by a venture capitalist group led by Taiwan publishing tycoon Shaw-Lan Wang. Other award show-bound pals — Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts and Maggie Gyllenhaal — also champion their friend on red carpets from here to London.

Elbaz admitted his guilty pleasure of watching the pre-shows, particularly their over-the-top commentators. “I won’t miss them for anything,’’ he said. “At the same time, I’m thinking ‘You’ve done a movie that has done a billion dollars at the box office, you’re talented and you’re being asked about who you borrowed the jewelry from or who gave you the dress?’ It is embarrassing. It should be about who you are. If you look great, that’s fabulous, too.”

That speaks to the heart of the Lanvin woman, as Elbaz considers ways of interpreting shapes with as few seams as possible and, in the case of fall, dresses that can transform into more than one look. It’s a tension in contrasts that represents what is modern for Elbaz, including merging the feminine with the feminist.

“There is something more secure about women today,” he said. “Women’s lives are so round. Fashion is not as important as it used to be in that sense. It’s more about the person. Women today have a variety of needs. I’m actually spending more time at the store [in Paris]. I’m selling. I’m a very shy person, but when I am next to my clothes I’m not shy anymore. At the end of the day what I love the most about my work is the human touch.”

That “human” factor is driving the obsession for vintage right now, he said. Earlier in the week, the Lanvin team was feted by vintage guru Cameron Silver at his restored RM Shindler-designed home. Sevigny, Getty, Lynch and her husband-producer Mitch Glazer, publishers Lisa Eisner and Roman Alonso, stylist Arianne Phillips and artist Liz Goldwyn were among the guests at the private dinner.

In vintage, Elbaz said, “There is this kind of individuality. There is an emotion there that is maybe not existing today in a lot of clothes. I don’t try to kill Cameron’s business, but I’m trying to go back to the essence of that,” he said in reference to peers who merchandise more than design.

Energized by his trip, Elbaz rushed home late Thursday to prepare for his editorial preview June 20. He is hesitant to say he’s finally comfortable in his recent success.

“I always said that I want to be in fashion like another eight, nine, maybe 10 years max, and then leave because there is a moment when you are connected to the people that you do the best work. The moment you are not connected anymore, it will be time to move on.”

Such a nice interview, he really sounds humble and sweet :heart:
He certainly manifests better taste than say Ungaro so I'm happy his sales are increasing.

seek a license for its perfume
Sorry I don't get it? What does that mean? I've certainly seen Lanvin's perfumes in the stores.

Even Charlize Theron was wearing his work at Cannes.

i agree, i find him completly adorable, talented and with his head on the ground, like most real gifted people :heart:

they may be looking for a new perfume licence, truth is they should work a bit more on their perfumes, they need to be developed in the state of art, like Lanvin's image

the future has arrived... B) :wink:

thx lena... :flower:

now will someone buy me one of everything...including the bag...did you see chloe...
SHE'S GOT MY BAG!!!! :angry: :lol:

Originally posted by softgrey@May 25th, 2004 - 8:53 am

now will someone buy me one of everything...including the bag...did you see chloe...
SHE'S GOT MY BAG!!!! :angry: :lol:
yeah when I saw her in that picture, I was thinking "oh that's softgrey's bag!" :wink: :flower:
gorgeous!

:o :P ...thanks for recognizing ...miss purple...

actually...the one i have my eye on is MUCH better...imo... :innocent:

it's heaven... :wub:

hat i lvoe about hsi work for lanvin, is I feel liek tis going back or reinventing what old hollywood was about subte mysterious glamoure

I seriously love the Lanvin label. :heart: I'm therefore going to re-attempt that article when I'm a bit more awake...

Originally posted by softgrey@May 26th, 2004 - 10:21 pm
:o :P ...thanks for recognizing ...miss purple...

actually...the one i have my eye on is MUCH better...imo... :innocent:

it's heaven... :wub:
yes! I remember that you absolutely love that HEAVEN bag in off white :wink: :flower:

excuses .. i didnt see this before...
thats all there was anyway:

Originally posted by The Daily
Lanvin And Barneys To Host Benefit In L.A.
Benefit for Santa Monica r*pe Treatment Center will feature Lanvin's fall collection with personal appearance by Alber Elbaz

Friday, May 07, 2004

Next Wednesday, May 12th, Angelica Huston and Kelly Lynch will welcome several hundred of their friends to Barneys New York in Beverly Hills as they host a fashion show and party to benefit The r*pe Foundation for the r*pe Treatment Center of Santa Monica. Over 400 guests will enjoy an old couture style show featuring Lanvin’s fall 2004 collection, followed by a formal seated dinner. Barneys New York will be transformed by creative director Simon Doonan into a luxurious, magnificent old-world Parisian dining club. Lanvin designer Alber Elbaz is expected to fly in from Paris to attend the event.

Sounds great, I'd love to go. :woot:

*sigh* He's gorgeous and cute and he's like what Karl Lagerfeld was before he went on the diet - reminds me of a cuddly teddy bear. And very sincere and honest, I was flicking through an old Vogue from the mid 90s and he's still the same sort of guy, bashful, sincere and not hogging the spotlight.

Found this old thread & just had to say that Alber is much, much better than pre-diet Karl :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->